Coronavirus

Reacher

Edit to the above.

The CNN story even contradicted itself in the same paragraph.  talk about sheety reporting.

"We think it's highly unlikely it was an accident," a Western diplomatic official with knowledge of the intelligence said. "It is highly likely it was naturally occurring and that the human infection was from natural human and animal interaction." The countries in the Five Eyes intelligence-sharing coalition are coalescing around this assessment, the official said, and a second official, from a Five Eyes country, concurred with it. The US has yet to make a formal assessment public

So, if it was 'highly unlikely that it was an accident', that means it was on purpose.....right?  What am I missing.  And, if it was on purpose, it didn't occur naturally....right?

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Kentucky is doing so much better than Indiana, it's not even funny.

It irritates me to no end that the hillbilly capital of the world is managing this better than we are. 

And I hate how that statement can apply to basketball, too. 🤮

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm going to go on a rant and try to be very careful to not use four letter words.  

I am so sick and tired of the media bias and half truths.  I usually read both sides, knowing that neither is being entirely truthful.  But tonight's contradictions totally take the cake.

I watched Tucker Carlson on Fox news Channel tonight.  He had a very interesting story and interview with an Australian news reporter who helped publish a 15 page dossier that states that intelligence sources in the Five Eyes nations (U.S., Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand) call out China for all their lies, while strongly suggesting that the virus originated in the Wuhan lab.

Here is a link that covers that angle.  Note, the original Australian version of the story required a subscription.  

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/coronavirus/bombshell-dossier-lays-out-case-against-chinese-bat-virus-program/news-story/55add857058731c9c71c0e96ad17da60

Imagine my surprise when surfing the net and pulling up CNN.com, the headline is a story  that paints the totally opposite picture.  The CNN story suggest 'sources among the Five Eyes intelligence communities take the totally opposite view. The headline speaks for itself.   Intel shared among US allies indicates virus outbreak more likely came from market, not a Chinese lab

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/politics/coronavirus-intelligence/index.html

How in the living heuhl can two different media organizations publish/report on the same thing and get polar opposite opinions.  The answer is that most media outlets are corrupt, will only publish stories containing their corporate slant, and in many cases, will politicize a story with a misleading or baited headline.

All in all, at times like we currently face, this type of behavior is sickening.  The public does not know what to believe, and those individuals who only watch/read one side of the story, are often manipulated into believing the only information they see.  

I've probably unfollowed more people on Facebook in the last few weeks than I have in the last 12 years. It's absolutely ridiculous how much political fiction and photoshopped images are getting passed around. 

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Fouls stay out of politics here man. And please don’t get me started on where you’re going here it won’t end well 

Nothing like having a pandemic going on and all the donkeys and elephants want to do is play volleyball on our airwaves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Edit to the above.

The CNN story even contradicted itself in the same paragraph.  talk about sheety reporting.

"We think it's highly unlikely it was an accident," a Western diplomatic official with knowledge of the intelligence said. "It is highly likely it was naturally occurring and that the human infection was from natural human and animal interaction." The countries in the Five Eyes intelligence-sharing coalition are coalescing around this assessment, the official said, and a second official, from a Five Eyes country, concurred with it. The US has yet to make a formal assessment public

So, if it was 'highly unlikely that it was an accident', that means it was on purpose.....right?  What am I missing.  And, if it was on purpose, it didn't occur naturally....right?

There's so much misinformation and disinformation out there, and I think that's all by design.

The one thing we're certain of is that the Chinese have been less than forthcoming on not only the origins, but the spread of this virus. 

And you can see the fruits of their labor. Confusion, contradiction, panic, and, in some cases, outright hysteria.

We (the US) need to get it together and fast. Anyone who doesn't by now believe that China wants to supplant us as the predominant super power in the world and will do most anything to achieve that goal is fooling themselves.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There's so much misinformation and disinformation out there, and I think that's all by design.

The one thing we're certain of is that the Chinese have been less than forthcoming on not only the origins, but the spread of this virus. 

And you can see the fruits of their labor. Confusion, contradiction, panic, and, in some cases, outright hysteria.

We (the US) need to get it together and fast. Anyone who doesn't by now believe that China wants to supplant us as the predominant super power in the world and will do most anything to achieve that goal is fooling themselves.

McCarthy was right. 

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

40 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The media sucks and at this point I would think is largely discredited.  I'm more concerned about the wanna be know it all nerds in the tech industry censoring information they dont agree with. 

Remember those texts message and social media posts about a federal shutdown back in March? Intel shows that China was behind those: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/us/politics/coronavirus-china-disinformation.html

Regarding the tech companies, should they not block stuff like the above...a lie that Trump was going to shut down the country and bring out the national guard? Is that censoring if it’s origination was from a foreign government? On one hand, if you don’t like what FaceBook and Twitter censoring news, then you don’t have to use either of their platforms. And if we get our news from FB and Twitter, thanks to their algorithms, we are only getting news from our “bubble”.....it supports our individual narrative that is unchallenged and lacks any intellectual depth. ANY bit of info received on social media needs to be heavily vetted.

I’ve seen 2 posts so far on Facebook before they were blocked and I knew they were so untrue it wasn’t funny. Both were easily disputed. After they were blocked the users were crying that they were censored, which I thought was laughable. I’m not sure quite how to feel about this. It’s like posting a meme that the sky is red and then getting mad at Facebook after they claim it’s false information.  But I do understand it can be a slippery slope to ask social media companies to do this. 

In the end, if you don’t like it, then don’t use their platforms. Boycott them! I wish more people would stop using their platforms for news anyway. It’s slowly destroying our country by spreading us further apart. Social media is a huge reason to why we can’t even agree on what facts are actually facts anymore.

I guess I'm way past where the virus came from (wet market or lab) and why. It does not matter to me at this point. The only thing that matters is getting a handle on it and we are failing. We are facing a pandemic with our main policies being inconsistency, laziness, paranoia, and stubbornness.

Too many leaders and citizens are too inconsistent to set effective policy, too lazy for testing on a mass scale, too paranoid for contract tracing, and too stubborn to wear a mask or socially isolate. Don't tread on us, we are special. There are days when I feel like we are doomed for months of unnecessary high levels of death and it's so sad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I also saw that Wendy's announced no burgers possibly?

I'm not completely there yet but this article sums plenty of the benefits of eating plant based meats....body, environment and of course animals. I eat Beyond Meat products regularly....not only as a stock owner in company but they taste really good.  

https://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Article/2020/04/06/How-is-coronavirus-impacting-plant-based-meat-Impossible-Foods-weighs-in#

Hopefully when we get on the other side of this pandemic the food/ag industry can figure out a better way to change their business model moving forward to be able to pivot and avoid some of the senseless waste we see.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not completely there yet but this article sums plenty of the benefits of eating plant based meats....body, environment and of course animals. I eat Beyond Meat products regularly....not only as a stock owner in company but they taste really good.  

https://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Article/2020/04/06/How-is-coronavirus-impacting-plant-based-meat-Impossible-Foods-weighs-in#

Hopefully when we get on the other side of this pandemic the food/ag industry can figure out a better way to change their business model moving forward to be able to pivot and avoid some of the senseless waste we see.

From what I've read, the problems stem from too much consolidation. Big giants controlling the farms and / or production. If it was more decentralized, like it used to be, a few plants going down would not be as much of a problem.  Then we lose some efficiencies and costs rise. Are Americans willing to pay more for that?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

When I try to remain optimistic it's these points that I try to remind myself. This is the ultimate stress test, at least is will show expose all the flaws in our systems/industries and hopefully we'll improve for the better. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Fouls stay out of politics here man. And please don’t get me started on where you’re going here it won’t end well 

I didn't sense any politics. @5fouls presented both sides of an issue relevant to the topic at hand so people can be informed and make their decisions. Hopefully, we are all learning from topics in this thread- I know my horizons have been broadened substantially. I see much more coming together in this thread than tearing apart. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

When I try to remain optimistic it's these points that I try to remind myself. This is the ultimate stress test, at least is will show expose all the flaws in our systems/industries and hopefully we'll improve for the better. 

Yep. In all aspects of our economy. Not just food. My better half has been doing zoom court cases, hearings all week.....telehealth has been exploding from Dr's, therapists (physical and mental health),etc....changing world coming. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. In all aspects of our economy. Not just food. My better half has been doing zoom court cases, hearings all week.....telehealth has been exploding from Dr's, therapists (physical and mental health),etc....changing world coming. 

In your opinion, is telehealth really effective and how will it impact the elderly, who may be reluctant to use?  I can't imagine my 78 year old mother effectively participating in a telehealth session.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

From what I've read, the problems stem from too much consolidation. Big giants controlling the farms and / or production. If it was more decentralized, like it used to be, a few plants going down would not be as much of a problem.  Then we lose some efficiencies and costs rise. Are Americans willing to pay more for that?

And that's what it all comes down to, doesn't' it? 

I say the same thing about bringing back manufacturing jobs. Are Americans willing to pay for that? Our purchasing decisions were the reason they went away in the first place. I know we're conditioned to think that voting (for policy) is what makes change. BUT we consumers speak much more loudly with our check books. 

• Like 2

Just now, 5fouls said:

In your opinion, is telehealth really effective and how will it impact the elderly, who may be reluctant to use?  I can't imagine my 78 year old mother effectively participating in a telehealth session.

My brother bought my parents a heart monitor for Christmas. Problem was they don't use a smartphone so they cannot utilize most of the features. 

I've done video conferencing with my out of state clients for years. Better than a phone call, IMO but not the same as in person. My Dr is promoting telehealth but I have not yet used. I do think this virus will be enough of a jolt to cause people to reexamine how they do business. Obviously, restaurants will see changes. I do think a lot of business travel , conferences will be curtailed. I like the idea of people staying more local for their products and services. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It will be imo just like anything up to the consumer....but I can tell you that I have dozens of Ortho Clinics nationally as clients who are using telehealth daily/hourly with people of all ages for physical therapy right now. My aunt (in her upper 60's) uses telehealth twice a week with her Dr's (physical and mental) from the comfort of her own home and actually prefers this way now more. Some of the short term rehab centers for elderly are honestly for lack of a better word death homes right now. They were supposed to be there for 6 weeks to rehab certain injuries but now can't leave and at risk even more. 40% of Covid Indiana deaths are nursing home based.

People are pretty resilient. I think given the choice between going to a nursing home, short term rehab center,etc....in the future vs figuring out via telehealth they might start choosing the latter. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The one thing I keep coming back to is working from home. For many it's more convenient and desirable to work from home. If employees can prove to companies there isn't a fall off in productivity will this become the norm? Think of the far reaching effects. Leasing costs for office space are huge and will save money. Parents can be home when their child gets home for school. Healthier family lives. 

..and then you think of the secondary effects: less commuting means lower gas prices, less traffic, a cleaner environment, less car accidents...which could lead to lower insurance premiums, etc. 

• Like 3