Annoying Aging and Health Issues

@mrflynn03 glad to hear you are doing better!

I take saw palmetto pills and it really helps with the getting up at night to pee issue.

Also a fan of probiotics, a premium multi and fish oil. I do rotate in other stuff as well. 

I found the popular fruits and veggies too expensive. Traders Joes used to have one I used for awhile. Lately I have been getting this- https://www.amazon.com/Vitacost-ROOT2-Fruits-Vegetables-Serving/dp/B0046IKPHK

No clue if it actually helps but I figure it can't hurt.

I've been trying to lose 5 pounds these last few months and thought the additional activity outside would help. it does seem to get harder to lose weight as you age. Lastly, I'm sure creaking more. 

During the week, I'm more sedentary and on the weekends usually fairly active. A lot of times I'm grateful for work on Monday to relax the old bones!

22 hours ago, Reacher said:

@mrflynn03 glad to hear you are doing better!

I take saw palmetto pills and it really helps with the getting up at night to pee issue.

Also a fan of probiotics, a premium multi and fish oil. I do rotate in other stuff as well. 

I found the popular fruits and veggies too expensive. Traders Joes used to have one I used for awhile. Lately I have been getting this- https://www.amazon.com/Vitacost-ROOT2-Fruits-Vegetables-Serving/dp/B0046IKPHK

No clue if it actually helps but I figure it can't hurt.

I've been trying to lose 5 pounds these last few months and thought the additional activity outside would help. it does seem to get harder to lose weight as you age. Lastly, I'm sure creaking more. 

During the week, I'm more sedentary and on the weekends usually fairly active. A lot of times I'm grateful for work on Monday to relax the old bones!

I try to eat sauer kraut or kimchi every day. Have salmon and grass fed/finished beef 3-4 times a week. Need to get back to fish oil. 

I need to get back to working out too but I started walking to places in town instead of driving. If I go to long without moving around much I feel like the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz. Oil can. 

• 4 weeks later...

So, two and a half years after it all began, I've finally got Covid.  It hit me overnight Tuesday/Wednesday.  Fever got up to about 102 on Wednesday morning before I started to knock it down with Tylenol.  Took a test last night and it was positive, though I pretty much knew I had it since I was exposed over the weekend and several others in teh group had already tested and confirmed.

Fever broke early this morning and I thought I was home free.  Didn't feel that bad at all and got some decent sleep for 3-4 hours.  Unfortunately, now the nasal congestion has hit full force.  There are few things I hate worse than nasal congestion.  Just not something I tolerate well. 

I'm thankful my symptoms are mild, but it's been years since I even had a cold, so I'm not happy.  Respiratory viruses are just not something I am prone to (kidney stones, on the other hand...). 

Anyway, since I don't tolerate congestion well, I have a feeling I'm going to be miserable for the next couple of days.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, two and a half years after it all began, I've finally got Covid.  It hit me overnight Tuesday/Wednesday.  Fever got up to about 102 on Wednesday morning before I started to knock it down with Tylenol.  Took a test last night and it was positive, though I pretty much knew I had it since I was exposed over the weekend and several others in teh group had already tested and confirmed.

Fever broke early this morning and I thought I was home free.  Didn't feel that bad at all and got some decent sleep for 3-4 hours.  Unfortunately, now the nasal congestion has hit full force.  There are few things I hate worse than nasal congestion.  Just not something I tolerate well. 

I'm thankful my symptoms are mild, but it's been years since I even had a cold, so I'm not happy.  Respiratory viruses are just not something I am prone to (kidney stones, on the other hand...). 

Anyway, since I don't tolerate congestion well, I have a feeling I'm going to be miserable for the next couple of days.   

Hoping for a quick and full recovery and that the worst is behind you. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You had a hell of a Covid-free run though! We’ve went from hardly anyone in our circle having it to about 75% of everyone having it in the last several months. The wife and I still haven‘t got it yet. <—- of course now we will.

Hope you don’t have too many days of bad congestion. I’m a huge wuss when I have a cold. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I tested positive on 6/26 after two days of early symptoms.  My illness centered on the worst sore throat that I believe I've ever had.  I also topped out at 102+ fever for two+ days and lots of painful coughing.  Tylenol didn't do much for me, but Ibuprofen worked wonders on my throat.  Since then it's felt very much like a standard cold and I'm still getting rid of the chest cough.  Fatigue was also very noticeable, especially when I thought I was well again.  I'm just very thankful that I had the vaccinaton/booster.  My wife tested positive two days after me and had a miserable experience also.  Both of us are 70+.  Hang in there, Fouls.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

I tested positive on 6/26 after two days of early symptoms.  My illness centered on the worst sore throat that I believe I've ever had.  I also topped out at 102+ fever for two+ days and lots of painful coughing.  Tylenol didn't do much for me, but Ibuprofen worked wonders on my throat.  Since then it's felt very much like a standard cold and I'm still getting rid of the chest cough.  Fatigue was also very noticeable, especially when I thought I was well again.  I'm just very thankful that I had the vaccinaton/booster.  My wife tested positive two days after me and had a miserable experience also.  Both of us are 70+.  Hang in there, Fouls.

I'm vaccinated and got the first booster.  I was waiting to get my 2nd booster until closer to winter.  Maybe I shouldn't have waited.  

Interestingly enough, sore throat has not been a symptom I've had.  A lot of the people who caught it from the same source I did have been complaining of sore throat.  Up until now, mine has been mainly fever, congestion, scratchy throat with mild cough, body aches, and right now I'm having some chills.  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm vaccinated and got the first booster.  I was waiting to get my 2nd booster until closer to winter.  Maybe I shouldn't have waited.  

That was our plan also.  Our GP actually suggested that we wait.  I even asked him for a prescription for antiviral meds, but said I didn't need it.  He pissed me off.  Didn't seem concerned at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Interestingly enough, sore throat has not been a symptom I've had.  A lot of the people who caught it from the same source I did have been complaining of sore throat.  Up until now, mine has been mainly fever, congestion, scratchy throat with mild cough, body aches, and right now I'm having some chills.  

Yeah, that's exactly how it was for my wife.

• Like 1

If Brad Pitt has it, it must be a 'thing'.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/07/entertainment/brad-pitt-facial-blindness/index.html

Actually, now that I know this is a real malady, it explains the breakup of 5-6 of my marriages.  I've been telling my exes for years that I thought the woman I met at the bar was her.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 1

Not shot not boosted. I have no idea if I've ever had it. From the sounds of people explaining their nasal congestion, that sounds like a normal day for me for the last 15 yrs. 

Maybe I was covid before there was a covid and I've been infecting all of you. Who knows. Call me Joe_gain of functoosier I guess. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Not shot not boosted. I have no idea if I've ever had it. From the sounds of people explaining their nasal congestion, that sounds like a normal day for me for the last 15 yrs. 

Maybe I was covid before there was a covid and I've been infecting all of you. Who knows. Call me Joe_gain of functoosier I guess. 

Sounds like you're living a charmed life...or actually you're an alien from another galaxy.  "People of Earth...we come in peace."

• Like 1

I don't really like to watch TV.  I just lose interest in what I am watching after a while.  Normally, that is not a problem.  But, when one is in the basement on quarantine and one feels too crappy to do anything else, it sucks.  I watched a couple of hour-long shows on streaming today and was ready for them to end 20 minutes before they were finished.  Watching a 2- hour movie is totally out of the question.  Normally, I would read a book because I love reading.  But, I feel too crappy to do even that.

Edited by 5fouls

Have been dealing with a pinched nerve problem in my neck for about four months now. Luckily it doesn’t keep me from being active - still able to lift weight, ride my bike, Peloton, etc. But it’s definitely messing with my life and attitude

You know that feeling when you’ve tweaked your neck or shoulder by sleeping on it wrong or moving weirdly? It’s that kind of nagging pain pretty much 24/7, instead of going away after a day or two.

I’ve been going to PT 1-2 times per week and that has helped, but am getting frustrated that it’s not an actual fix. 

Am pretty surgery avoidant and I won’t take pain pills, so those two options are not really on the table right now. Have kind of been hoping it will go away one day magically, but it’s seeming like it’s here to stay. Next appointment with my sports doc is on August 2nd. 

Take care of your back young guys! Lift properly and don’t always try to be a hero lifting/carrying things. 

• Like 3

I've been fighting a spot between my left scapula and spine for over a year, since I laid in bed with covid for months.  (May or may not be coincidental) It's a spot I can pinpoint with a cabinet knob or baseball and press hard and feels great but never get relief.  I've had dry needling, chiro visits and PT and it still bothers me on a daily basis.  Aggravated like the rest of you guys lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, JW75 said:

I've been fighting a spot between my left scapula and spine for over a year, since I laid in bed with covid for months.  (May or may not be coincidental) It's a spot I can pinpoint with a cabinet knob or baseball and press hard and feels great but never get relief.  I've had dry needling, chiro visits and PT and it still bothers me on a daily basis.  Aggravated like the rest of you guys lol.

That’s EXACTLY where mine is. The massage from my PT really helps, but she also showed me the baseball/tennis ball trick that you use. It helps too. I’ve though about acupuncture as a next step if I can get my doc to prescribe. 

Ibuprofen also seems to help, but that’s not something you want to take daily, long term. 

31 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Yeah, chronic back injury/pain is the worst. Dealing with that neck pain from sleeping wrong the last couple days. 

When did sleeping of all things start to hurt?  I've started to have to take a hot shower every morning just to loosen up. 

Mine is also the worst in the morning. I take an edible in the early evening and that gives me relief for the rest of the night, but each morning it’s back on the pain train! Can’t really do edibles during the day though. :) 

11 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

That’s EXACTLY where mine is. The massage from my PT really helps, but she also showed me the baseball/tennis ball trick that you use. It helps too. I’ve though about acupuncture as a next step if I can get my doc to prescribe. 

Ibuprofen also seems to help, but that’s not something you want to take daily, long term. 

Mine is also the worst in the morning. I take an edible in the early evening and that gives me relief for the rest of the night, but each morning it’s back on the pain train! Can’t really do edibles during the day though. :) 

Wow!  I'm guessing possibly muscle related but why it doesn't heal I don't know.  The baseball feels good but doesn't solve the problem.  No luck with ibuprofen and yes not wanting to take it on a daily basis for life.  The dry needling makes the spot spasm good and ache but still no long term cure.  My wifes elbow pushed hard into it feels good too, but no cure. Very frustrating but can't find a solution for it....  If you come up with something else to try I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot. :) 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JW75 said:

Have you had an MRI on it? 

I had the same pain. Had 2 compromised discs in my neck...

This solved it... 

Screenshot_20220708-131403.thumb.png.c354215417c44867c08f263b60a10b05.png

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Have you had an MRI on it? 

I had the same pain. Had 2 compromised discs in my neck...

This solved it... 

Screenshot_20220708-131403.thumb.png.c354215417c44867c08f263b60a10b05.png

No I have not.  Was your pain located upper back or mid?  Mine is lower scapula area towards middle. Could disc in neck cause this issue where I can pinpoint it?  I honestly don't have a clue but I am willing to check out whatever i am able to.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, JW75 said:

No I have not.  Was your pain located upper back or mid?  Mine is lower scapula area towards middle. Could disc in neck cause this issue where I can pinpoint it?  I honestly don't have a clue but I am willing to check out whatever i am able to.  Thanks!

Exact pain I had. Lower than the 2 discs (C5 and C6) that were bad. Kinda went from the middle of my upper back out to the right scapula. Dr said the compromised discs were crushing the nerves in that area.

Tried physical therapy, but the Dr said the only thing that might cure it was surgery. I had the option of fusion, or disc replacement. Fusion would have limited my head movement by about 20%, so I opted for the replacement. Worked out well for me.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Exact pain I had. Lower than the 2 discs (C5 and C6) that were bad. Kinda went from the middle of my upper back out to the right scapula. Dr said the compromised discs were crushing the nerves in that area.

Tried physical therapy, but the Dr said the only thing that might cure it was surgery. I had the option of fusion, or disc replacement. Fusion would have limited my head movement by about 20%, so I opted for the replacement. Worked out well for me.

I’ve started looking into disc replacement - seems to have fewer complications/repeat surgeries than fusion. Good to know someone I know/trust has went through it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Interesting.... awesome that it helped you. I will see at my next appointment what my Dr says. Obviously nothing has worked yet. I'm sure he'll get a joy out of a basketball message board giving him a suggestion to look into. 🤣🤣🤣 thanks again!

• Like 2