Annoying Aging and Health Issues

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My whole life, I never understood why old people were always complaining about being cold.

Now, I understand. 

Gotta convince the wife to move south once the nest is empty.

For me it's not the cold, maybe one day. I actually prefer it. 

But I'm at the age my dad was when he started to turn the radio down/off. He'd say how about some peace and quiet. 

And now I think I understand.  The mind needs to rest sometimes.  Some days I'll get to work and go to turn the radio off and realize I never turned it on. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

You're still young...right?  My eye doc used to tell me that once you hit 45, then you'll need glasses.  He was correct.  And then later the cataracts start showing up.  That surgery was freaky/creepy.  😂

37. I do have a stigmatism but never wore the glasses they gave me. 

If I do end up with glasses, I want glasses like Rick Vaughn had but also with a camera installed. 

I don't want to think about eye surgery. I have an aversion toward things being near my eyes. 

At 54, I’ve started to get some annoying aches and pains. Had pretty intense shoulder pain for much of this year and finally got it checked out with x-rays and an MRI. It’s degenerative, cervical spine stuff and really not much they can do about it. A full round of PT helped a bit, but not really in the end. 

I do not take medication besides an occasional Ibuprofen for a headache, but I finally broke down and filled my Voltaren script. That stuff worked almost immediately. Shocking difference with a simple anti-inflammatory. They say it’s not good to be on long term, so I weaned off of it after a month and haven’t had any pain since. 

Pretty psyched to be pain free again! 

• Like 5

On 9/27/2022 at 12:34 PM, tdhoosier said:

Just wanted to recommend a great podcast about health and food. It covers a lot of topics that have come up in many conversations on HSN. In particular about how the medical industry has a vested interest in not curing, but rather managing symptoms. It's not only the medical industry, but the food industry and the pharmaceutical industry. (no surprise to many) A lot of curing come in the form of what we eat. This is not just curing obesity - it's diabetes, depression, chronic pain, etc. There was a stat that said something like: the average American consumes 90 lbs. of sugar a year. Think about how much inflammation that causes in the body. And we wonder why COVID hit a huge part of our population so hard.  There's just a lot of fascinating information here. 

Amazing how many maladies can be cured and or prevented by healthy eating, exercise and a strong immune system.  

Half of cancer deaths could be prevented-

https://www.livescience.com/54803-healthy-lifestyle-cancer-prevention.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Amazing how many maladies can be cured and or prevented by healthy eating, exercise and a strong immune system.  

Half of cancer deaths could be prevented-

https://www.livescience.com/54803-healthy-lifestyle-cancer-prevention.html

My whole career after the Navy has been in this realm - population health/preventative care. Healthcare costs would cost SO much less if it was easier for people to eat healthy, exercise, and be more active. The incidences of cancer, obesity, hig blood pressure, diabetes, CHF, etc. would also be so much less.

It’s easy to say people are lazy and weak, and some are I guess, but it’s more often companies making those healthy choices harder. It’s tough though b/c food companies, car companies, oil companies have all the money to push more bad food, more roads, more, more, more of everything. More hydrogenated oils, more corn syrup, more chemicals, more drive thru options, etc. And do we think the drug companies want a healthy population? Nope! They love us being sick. 

It’s also, I realize, super easy for me to say people should walk more and bike more instead of driving. That’s an easy choice I can make every day b/c of the environment I live in. But not so easy for people who live in the suburbs or subdivisions with no sidewalks.  Or they live in places where riding the bus means you are poor or otherwise flawed. When I lived in Indy (Broad Ripple) and took the bus downtown to Wishard to work, people would ask me if I had too many DUIs and got my license revoked. Riding a bus marked you as inferior.

When we moved to Mass Ave and I walked or biked to work, it was again. “What happened, lose your license?” 

I would say “Don’t get me started,” but it’s too late! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

My whole career after the Navy has been in this realm - population health/preventative care. Healthcare costs would cost SO much less if it was easier for people to eat healthy, exercise, and be more active. The incidences of cancer, obesity, hig blood pressure, diabetes, CHF, etc. would also be so much less.

It’s easy to say people are lazy and weak, and some are I guess, but it’s more often companies making those healthy choices harder. It’s tough though b/c food companies, car companies, oil companies have all the money to push more bad food, more roads, more, more, more of everything. More hydrogenated oils, more corn syrup, more chemicals, more drive thru options, etc. And do we think the drug companies want a healthy population? Nope! They love us being sick. 

It’s also, I realize, super easy for me to say people should walk more and bike more instead of driving. That’s an easy choice I can make every day b/c of the environment I live in. But not so easy for people who live in the suburbs or subdivisions with no sidewalks.  Or they live in places where riding the bus means you are poor or otherwise flawed. When I lived in Indy (Broad Ripple) and took the bus downtown to Wishard to work, people would ask me if I had too many DUIs and got my license revoked. Riding a bus marked you as inferior.

When we moved to Mass Ave and I walked or biked to work, it was again. “What happened, lose your license?” 

I would say “Don’t get me started,” but it’s too late! 

I have a theory that ailments that affect us, especially cancer rates and mental health issues have a direct correlation to the prevalence of synthetic herbicides and pesticides and also wastewater from industry. Our environment especially the water supply is very contaminated.

I'm thinking rates were lower before the 1940's and time of onset of diseases was later in life and childhood cancers weren't as prevalent. 

Due to our position in the food chain we are exposed to high levels of bio magnification. 

Since these toxins are stored in adipose tissue we are storing them in our bodies and probably brains. I'm guessing people with more body fat suffer more chronic disease than smaller people.

But since everyone's brains are relatively the same volume and mostly fat we are all equally insane to a degree. 

Do you know of any research or published work on this idea?

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

I dream less frequently than I used to.  I usually have positive dreams.  Had a good one last night.  When I woke, I realized it had been a long while since I recalled having a dream.  

As we age we spend less time in the deepest stages of sleep.  Therefore, we dream less.

When the majority of dreams are positive, like in my case, that kind of sucks.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have a theory that ailments that affect us, especially cancer rates and mental health issues have a direct correlation to the prevalence of synthetic herbicides and pesticides and also wastewater from industry. Our environment especially the water supply is very contaminated.

I'm thinking rates were lower before the 1940's and time of onset of diseases was later in life and childhood cancers weren't as prevalent. 

Due to our position in the food chain we are exposed to high levels of bio magnification. 

Since these toxins are stored in adipose tissue we are storing them in our bodies and probably brains. I'm guessing people with more body fat suffer more chronic disease than smaller people.

But since everyone's brains are relatively the same volume and mostly fat we are all equally insane to a degree. 

Do you know of any research or published work on this idea?

We normally do research on actionable things like - diet, processes, access, medical errors, etc. But I have no doubt that herbicides and pesticides are incredibly problematic when it comes to health. But again, the chemical companies that ake the pesticides can outspend anyone who opposes them. It all comes down to companies who only care about making money off of us and the politicians who allow it - for a price. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We normally do research on actionable things like - diet, processes, access, medical errors, etc. But I have no doubt that herbicides and pesticides are incredibly problematic when it comes to health. But again, the chemical companies that ake the pesticides can outspend anyone who opposes them. It all comes down to companies who only care about making money off of us and the politicians who allow it - for a price. 

Monsanto sucks. 

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Indeed they do. 

I know a farmer that was sued for his crop because Monsanto seed ended up in one of his fields. 

Monsanto has their tentacles in everything from chemicals to the food you eat. Not to mention the damage they do to ecosystems and animal populations. 

I'll stop there. If I let if flow ill fill 2 pages at least. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I know a farmer that was sued for his crop because Monsanto seed ended up in one of his fields. 

Monsanto has their tentacles in everything from chemicals to the food you eat. Not to mention the damage they do to ecosystems and animal populations. 

I'll stop there. If I let if flow ill fill 2 pages at least. 

Don’t even get me started on that piece of shit company. Probably one of worst and most destructive.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Monsanto sucks. 

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Indeed they do. 

Just playing devils advocate here.... [can't find the stirring the pot emoji]  At what point to you give them credit for raising millions out of poverty due to increasing the food supply in third world countries? Is it better they starve so there are fewer obese people in the more developed countries?