Annoying Aging and Health Issues

• 2 months later...

Last time I was stung by a bee I was outside the White Rabbit buying a L104 exam in 1993. Just got stung on Monday. Initially no big deal but this thing has exploded over the last 2 days. Swelling and itching which apparently is a good sign on the latter.

I've tried cortisone cream, calamine, apple vinegar...nothing is taking the itches away. Anyone got a solution besides removing the skin?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Last time I was stung by a bee I was outside the White Rabbit buying a L104 exam in 1993. Just got stung on Monday. Initially no big deal but this thing has exploded over the last 2 days. Swelling and itching which apparently is a good sign on the latter.

I've tried cortisone cream, calamine, apple vinegar...nothing is taking the itches away. Anyone got a solution besides removing the skin?

Hennessy 

applied orally, gargle then shallow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just found out that I have a case of sciatica (along with 14 million other people). Have some compression of the spine in the lower back. My hamstring hurts like hell all of the time. Hope I don't have to have back surgery. Wife went thru that and it was a year long recovery for her. 

Having MRI on Friday to get an "up close and personal" view of the issue.

It's a bitch getting old, but I guess it beats the alternative...

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, DWB said:

Just found out that I have a case of sciatica (along with 14 million other people). Have some compression of the spine in the lower back. My hamstring hurts like hell all of the time. Hope I don't have to have back surgery. Wife went thru that and it was a year long recovery for her. 

I remember when the doctor showed me a picture of my neck that looked like a sink drain? I on the other hand besides numbness never had those other ailments? Praying for you brother!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DWB said:

I'm 38 and have 3 degenerative disc's in my lumbar and no disc left between my L5 and S1. 

There's a lot you can do before needing surgery. 

• Thanks 1

Pretty sure I had a variant of the virus that was concocted in China about 2nd week of July. I was feverish for a couple days and thought it was over. 

The last 3 weeks I've been dealing with a bacterial sinus infection that I finally went to the doctor for on Thursday.  I've had random bloody noses I've never experienced before, sore throat, and a head full of boogers and snot.  I've never been so tired in my life, but I'm finally over it after a month.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Pretty sure I had a variant of the virus that was concocted in China about 2nd week of July. I was feverish for a couple days and thought it was over. 

The last 3 weeks I've been dealing with a bacterial sinus infection that I finally went to the doctor for on Thursday.  I've had random bloody noses I've never experienced before, sore throat, and a head full of boogers and snot.  I've never been so tired in my life, but I'm finally over it after a month.

A week ago I was informed I had been exposed but since the exposure was limited I never tested but ever since I feel feverish off and on glad you’re over it!

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

A week ago I was informed I had been exposed but since the exposure was limited I never tested but ever since I feel feverish off and on glad you’re over it!

If you start to feel sinus issues go to the doctor.  I waited 3 weeks before I gave in. Worst three weeks of my life. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

I may have a tear in my meniscus. Got a MRI upcoming at Parkview North @rico  Spent way too much time there the past few years between mom and pop's various health issues, now it is my turn I guess. 

Good luck. I switched from ONE to FWO and never regretted it. Dr.. Sassmanhausen at FWO is excellent

• Like 1

Got my MRI results (actually saw the MRI) and I definitely have some moderate to severe compression in the lower spinal cord that is putting pressure on the sciatic nerve.

Doc wants to try pain therapy (read epidural into the spinal column...ouch!) to try to stabilize the compression, and hopefully reverse it somewhat. Said PT won't help at this point, maybe later, but was doubtful.

I bought an inversion table to help relieve some of the compression. Don't know if it will help, but it can't hurt. don't have it yet, but hopefully will get it soon.

My condition is not nearly as severe as some of you guys, and I am not trying to get any sympathy here because it is not warranted, and its just a function of being F-ing old. Guess I just wanted to share, and hopefully some of you younger guys should heed the warnings your body sends you early on, rather than playing tough guy and ignoring the symptoms. Might be too late to correct your issue if you wait too long.

Just sayin'....

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, DWB said:

Got my MRI results (actually saw the MRI) and I definitely have some moderate to severe compression in the lower spinal cord that is putting pressure on the sciatic nerve.

Doc wants to try pain therapy (read epidural into the spinal column...ouch!) to try to stabilize the compression, and hopefully reverse it somewhat. Said PT won't help at this point, maybe later, but was doubtful.

I bought an inversion table to help relieve some of the compression. Don't know if it will help, but it can't hurt. don't have it yet, but hopefully will get it soon.

My condition is not nearly as severe as some of you guys, and I am not trying to get any sympathy here because it is not warranted, and its just a function of being F-ing old. Guess I just wanted to share, and hopefully some of you younger guys should heed the warnings your body sends you early on, rather than playing tough guy and ignoring the symptoms. Might be too late to correct your issue if you wait too long.

Just sayin'....

Hope you can get some relief because back/neck pain is no joke and can affect other areas of the body...

My Dr offered me a few options, but in the end, it boiled down to fusion or disk replacement...

I did the disk replacement and it was a Godsend... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Just sayin'....

I’m 31 and in regular PT for lower back pain. Thought it was just normal, the kind of thing you deal with as you age. Doc said “nope” and off to a flurry of scans and tests. 

31!! and I exercise regularly if sex counts. 

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Just sayin'....

Here is a pic of my lumber region

1056988985_images2.jpeg.2ae1393b181c101b90c96da9a3df43da.jpeg.9fb0c3277914a8392271a07fa98bd06d.jpeg

That was about 16 months ago. It took a long time to recover, granted I'm "only" 38 but I've lost 20 lbs and physical activity has me almost pain free. 

When I say physical activity I'm not talking lifting weights, but walking, yard work, things like that. 

I will get back to lifting.

There are options before surgery.  Light physical activity, steroid injections, ect.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I’m 31 and in regular PT for lower back pain. Thought it was just normal, the kind of thing you deal with as you age. Doc said “nope” and off to a flurry of scans and tests. 

31!! and I exercise regularly if sex counts. 

I do the last part almost everyday and I'm 38!  Wife won't let me read a book!  Lol!

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Hope you can get some relief because back/neck pain is no joke and can affect other areas of the body...

My Dr offered me a few options, but in the end, it boiled down to fusion or disk replacement...

I did the disk replacement and it was a Godsend... 

I can deal with lower back, but if I had the same pain in my neck, no way. That where my brain is. And I had a kink in my neck the last two days. That's enough for me. 

13 hours ago, DWB said:

Just sayin'....

I'm a big fan of the inversion table. Takes a while to get used to but was effective for me. Back was bothering a few years back and after using the table for a month the pain has not come back

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm gonna do a lot of what some of you guys are doing already.

Bought an inversion table. Don't have it yet. Monday supposedly.

PT said to get an inner lift for my right shoe, as my right leg is shorter than my left. (probably thanx to the Dr that did my right knee replacement 5-6 years ago)

Also going to a pain mgt Dr for an epidural hopefully soon. But I think the inversion table, and continued exercise, as well as the shoe lift should help, at least somewhat. We'll see.

For you young-ins in your 30's with back issues, stay on top of it. I'm old so it's common. Not for you guys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DWB said:

I'm gonna do a lot of what some of you guys are doing already.

Bought an inversion table. Don't have it yet. Monday supposedly.

PT said to get an inner lift for my right shoe, as my right leg is shorter than my left. (probably thanx to the Dr that did my right knee replacement 5-6 years ago)

Also going to a pain mgt Dr for an epidural hopefully soon. But I think the inversion table, and continued exercise, as well as the shoe lift should help, at least somewhat. We'll see.

For you young-ins in your 30's with back issues, stay on top of it. I'm old so it's common. Not for you guys.

Something a lot of people probably don't think about is I don't carry anything in my back pockets. My wallet goes in my front pocket so I don't sit on it.  

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Something a lot of people probably don't think about is I don't carry anything in my back pockets. My wallet goes in my front pocket so I don't sit on it.  

That’s what they teach you to frustrate pickpockets! Does that actually help back pain???