Annoying Aging and Health Issues

On 8/17/2023 at 5:08 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Something a lot of people probably don't think about is I don't carry anything in my back pockets. My wallet goes in my front pocket so I don't sit on it.  

My best buddy had chronic Sciatica pain. He stopped carrying a wallet and it DRASTICALLY helped him. At the time, we were both making about $9 / hr and raising kids. His wallet wasn't "fat" in any imagination. But that 3/4" - 1" thickness really helped him! That was about 97'.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 4:39 PM, DWB said:

I'm gonna do a lot of what some of you guys are doing already.

Bought an inversion table. Don't have it yet. Monday supposedly.

PT said to get an inner lift for my right shoe, as my right leg is shorter than my left. (probably thanx to the Dr that did my right knee replacement 5-6 years ago)

Also going to a pain mgt Dr for an epidural hopefully soon. But I think the inversion table, and continued exercise, as well as the shoe lift should help, at least somewhat. We'll see.

For you young-ins in your 30's with back issues, stay on top of it. I'm old so it's common. Not for you guys.

My mom tells me I'm still young. I guess so. 

I guess I'm old enough to say that I was reckless when I was younger.  My dad told me to quit doing stupid shit, but I didn't listen.  Hell, he bought me the dirt bike. I played basketball, baseball, football, even soccer( 🤮 ). Had a lot of head shots. 

Anyway, I'm in recovery from all of that and alcoholism.  I had been drinking about a fifth of vodka everyday for about 7 years. 

The point I'm trying to make is you can run your body through the wringer. The human body has an amazing ability to recover from abuse. 

• Like 3

On 8/18/2023 at 10:56 PM, mrflynn03 said:

My mom tells me I'm still young. I guess so. 

I guess I'm old enough to say that I was reckless when I was younger.  My dad told me to quit doing stupid shit, but I didn't listen.  Hell, he bought me the dirt bike. I played basketball, baseball, football, even soccer( 🤮 ). Had a lot of head shots. 

Anyway, I'm in recovery from all of that and alcoholism.  I had been drinking about a fifth of vodka everyday for about 7 years. 

The point I'm trying to make is you can run your body through the wringer. The human body has an amazing ability to recover from abuse. 

Wish you the best with the recovery!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

My MRI results confirmed a torn meniscus plus a sprained ACL and what is known as a Baker's cyst Thus begins another 2 week wait to consult with an ortho doctor/surgeon. C'est la vie. 

Darn. Hope you heal quickly. I've got a bad knee myself and just waiting for the day when something serious happens.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

My MRI results confirmed a torn meniscus plus a sprained ACL and what is known as a Baker's cyst Thus begins another 2 week wait to consult with an ortho doctor/surgeon. C'est la vie. 

Good luck! From experience the meniscus surgery shouldn’t be too bad. I was up walking in a day or two. Don’t know if the other things will complicate matters. Two weeks is actually pretty quick to get on the ortho’s calendar 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My back is forked up again.  

Found out I have sciatica and went to a pain dr and he shot me up with an epidural. 10 days later, I have about 50% less pain.

Thought about going to chiropractor, but haven't decided yet.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DWB said:

Found out I have sciatica and went to a pain dr and he shot me up with an epidural. 10 days later, I have about 50% less pain.

Thought about going to chiropractor, but haven't decided yet.

Had x-rays this morning. They found 2 vertebrae with what's called anterior wedging which wasnt there last time. It's a type of compression fracture. I'm probably going to get steroid injections soon. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Had x-rays this morning. They found 2 vertebrae with what's called anterior wedging which wasnt there last time. It's a type of compression fracture. I'm probably going to get steroid injections soon. 

Hope you get some significant benefit from it. Wife had 3 of those, and they were all crickets for her.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 7:52 PM, Seeking6 said:

For the North of 40 or 50 crowd. Get a Calcium Count test on the heart. It's easy and quick and cheap. Lost a friend who seemed otherwise healthy on Friday. Diehard IU and Bears guy.....heart attack. 

My wife and I got ours a couple of years ago. I think they might have been $50.

• Like 1

This might seem like a reach but does anyone know if they allow Uber or Lyft rides home from colonoscopy? I'm the driver tomorrow. My other half has court and I just blew a tire/rim. My uncle has already started the process so I don't want to have him cancel. Just curious if anyone knows the normal rules. Google says 50/50.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This might seem like a reach but does anyone know if they allow Uber or Lyft rides home from colonoscopy? I'm the driver tomorrow. My other half has court and I just blew a tire/rim. My uncle has already started the process so I don't want to have him cancel. Just curious if anyone knows the normal rules. Google says 50/50.

My dr. won't allow it. Driver has to be present at check-in and provide a cell number contact for when the procedure is complete. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe. I did a quick Google search.

https://www.uberhealth.com/

There isn't much that scares me. But my grandad on my mom's side died of colon cancer February 15 1985. I was born April 18, 1985. So I worry about it. Carrying a colostomy bag? I hope i don't have too. I have and uncle that was paralyzed in a motorcycle accident.  I've helped him take showers and go to the bathroom.  It isn't easy. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

They want someone responsible to get the patient home. If you Uber with him and then stay so you can Uber with him home I don’t see how they would object. Call them.

• Like 2