IU set to hire Walt Bell as offensive coordinator.

IU247

12 minutes ago, KDB said:

His offenses at Arkansas State were phenomenal.. His offenses ever since? Have not. 

Lets hope it works out.

Eh. I don’t put much stock into his UMass tenure.  it’s UMASS Which has a much harder time getting recruits than IU ever had.  Also the UMass issues run deeper than football as the below article goes into detail about. 
https://commonwealthmagazine.org/education/umass-football-thrown-for-big-losses/

Edited by IU247

17 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Thought I read at both FSU and Maryland his offenses were in the 100’s in terms of PPG. 

I read the same thing.

I don’t think he’s been in any great situations since his time at Arkansas State. I’m cautiously optimistic.

3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

His Maryland and FSU stints sound a lot better in that article than they seemed from everything I read elsewhere. He definitely had it rolling at Arkansas State.

I think it could end up being a good hire, just going to have to wait and see. Let’s pray that it is.

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Some of his bios from his previous schools or articles always have, “One of the top offensive minds”

He is considered a very good offensive mind. I don't mind the hire as the OC. He just wasn't in a good situation at UMASS and his offenses at Maryland and FSU weren't bad given the state of those teams at the time he was employed. On a side note I figured something was going to leak soon with the recruiting news yesterday and sure enough it did. 

6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

He's an improvement. 

One thing to note - he has been a OC and one stop was at a pressure cooker.  Being a HC at Umass, recored aside, should of taught him the executive side to football.  IU needs a HC of the offense, not just a OC.  Got to think there will be a co-oc and a clear vision for what needs to be done.   

I vaguely remember the Maryland teams and some big plays against IU.  Then again, there were many against the D, then.  Never watched FSU.

3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

One thing to note - he has been a OC and one stop was at a pressure cooker.  Being a HC at Umass, recored aside, should of taught him the executive side to football.  IU needs a HC of the offense, not just a OC.  Got to think there will be a co-oc and a clear vision for what needs to be done.   

I vaguely remember the Maryland teams and some big plays against IU.  Then again, there were many against the D, then.  Never watched FSU.

I don't know about a co-OC with CDM on that side of the ball. He is the associate head coach after all. I think he'll be able to recruit. These are some of the guys he's landed in the past and based on their high school ranking it's safe to say Indiana would be happy with landing these level of recruits.

https://247sports.com/coach/walt-bell-1361/

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can't tell if DJ Matthews is talking about something else or reacting to new hire. Couple emoji's that aren't positive. Anyone know if Bell was recruiting DJ when paths crossed at Florida St?

They probably talked at some point, but his main recruiters were Odell Haggins and Lawrence Dawsey

Edited by Hoosierfan1901
  • Like 1