Time For NCAA To Be Proactive With Covid

5fouls

With the current Covid policies in place, there is little chance that the month of January will be anything short of total chaos.  Under the assumption that the policies, themselves, are not going to change, it's time the NCAA to change the schedule.  

• Approach the city of Indianapolis about a repeat performance hosting the entire tourney, only have it take place in April, not March.
  • All February game schedules remain in place. 
  • Games scheduled for January are moved to March, and it is up to each conference to get them on the calendar in an order that works for each school.  Not a single game is left scheduled in January.
  • Conference tournament championships will be held over a single week, not two, in order from the schedule dragging too far out in the future.  ESPN has enough channels to make sure everything gets covered.  The major conferences can give up ESPN coverage for their early round games to their respective network partners (BTN ACC, SEC, etc) so that all games are still televised.

Drastic?  Yes.  But, it will beat the heck out of the scheduling chaos we are going to see in January with all the postponements and cancellations.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

With the current Covid policies in place, there is little chance that the month of January will be anything short of total chaos.  Under the assumption that the policies, themselves, are not going to change, it's time the NCAA to change the schedule.  

• Approach the city of Indianapolis about a repeat performance hosting the entire tourney, only have it take place in April, not March.
  • Games scheduled for January are moved to March, and it is up to each conference to get them on the calendar in an order that works for each school.  Not a single game is left scheduled in January.
  • Conference tournament championships will be held over a single week, not two, in order from the schedule dragging too far out in the future.  ESPN has enough channels to make sure everything gets covered.  The major conferences can give up ESPN coverage for their early round games to their respective network partners (ESPN, ACC, SEC, etc) so that all games are still televised.

Drastic?  Yes.  But, it will beat the heck out of the scheduling chaos we are going to see in January with all the postponements and cancellations.

Great idea but the NCAA is as inept as the Federal Government. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Or we could just stop testing people who aren't sick, but that makes too much sense and threatens the bureaucracies Covid has created and enabled. 

I'm not disputing that.  But, the premise of my post was that the policies would not change.  And, they are not.  So, discussion of that angle is pointless.  

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not disputing that.  But, the premise of my post was that the policies would not change.  And, they are not.  So, discussion of that angle is pointless.  

I get that. Just frustrated that these bureaucracies have so much power and people are still acting like it's March of 2020. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

• Conference tournament championships will be held over a single week, not two, in order from the schedule dragging too far out in the future.  ESPN has enough channels to make sure everything gets covered.  The major conferences can give up ESPN coverage for their early round games to their respective network partners (BTN ACC, SEC, etc) so that all games are still televised.

Agreed they should be coming up with a contingency plan. Not sure how the timing matches up with the school side of 'student" athletes but something needs done. The B1G screwed up with the football season in 2020...don't waste our basketball one. That said I echo what others have said. They could but won't do anything....govt/large organizations like this are only good at one thing....taking your money...they are terrible at solving problems....see every govt program ever designed.

• Like 2

If the conferences keep the February schedule intact, it allows them most of the month of January to work out all of the logistics for moving the January games to March.  You're not blowing up the entire schedule, just repositioning some of it.  

I realize they won't do anything like this, but the end result is that January is going to be a Cluster.  

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If the conferences keep the February schedule intact, it allows them most of the month of January to work out all of the logistics for moving the January games to March.  You're not blowing up the entire schedule, just repositioning some of it.  

I realize they won't do anything like this, but the end result is that January is going to be a Cluster.  

I actually like this idea. January is just going to be a mess for games anyway, why not skip it and hope that COVID has chilled out a bit by February. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I actually like this idea. January is just going to be a mess for games anyway, why not skip it and hope that COVID has chilled out a bit by February. 

At the rate it's spreading it will burn through fast! Saw that in S Africa too. Weird that the more contagious it get's the more like the common cold it gets. They said that with many of the mutations the sequencing is sharing a lot of similarities to the common cold. I wonder if that is just viral evolution.....the most successful virus of all time is the common cold and thus the best way for this virus to evolve is to share those features....almost feels like this is just inevitable and in the end we will just have another variation of the common cold to deal with forever! Anyways....yes the rate of transmission seems to suggest this may very well spread through and dissipate very quickly.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

At the rate it's spreading it will burn through fast! Saw that in S Africa too. Weird that the more contagious it get's the more like the common cold it gets. They said that with many of the mutations the sequencing is sharing a lot of similarities to the common cold. I wonder if that is just viral evolution.....the most successful virus of all time is the common cold and thus the best way for this virus to evolve is to share those features....almost feels like this is just inevitable and in the end we will just have another variation of the common cold to deal with forever! Anyways....yes the rate of transmission seems to suggest this may very well spread through and dissipate very quickly.

I would be happy if that’s the case. I’m not convinced yet, but trends look promising, but I will be happy if you are right. 

It’s super petty of me, but I REALLY look forward to my IU games in the winter and will be pissed if COVID tanks another season. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, dgambill said:

1/5 of all common colds are caused by one of the four coronaviruses that were circulating prior to COVID 19. Wouldn’t be at all surprising for COVID to mutate into a cold virus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guys, be careful.

We closed the covid thread for a reason. If you want to discuss this in terms of sports, then that is fine. What should the NCAA do, should we play etc.

We go even one more step into discussing government agenda, politics etc and this will be shit down super fast.

@5fouls made a good initial post that set the tone for what this thread is about. Respect that before we have to close a good and fair thread again.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Guys, be careful.

We closed the covid thread for a reason. If you want to discuss this in terms of sports, then that is fine. What should the NCAA do, should we play etc.

We go even one more step I to discussing government agenda, politics etc and this will be XXXX down super fast.

@5fouls made a good initial.ppst that set the tone for what thos thread is about. Respect that before we have to close a good and fair thread again.

Thanks Blue.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Guys, be careful.

We go even one more step I to discussing government agenda, politics etc and this will be shit down super fast.

@5fouls made a good initial.ppst that set the tone for what thos thread is about. Respect that before we have to close a good and fair thread again.

I'm deleting my post...it may spark a response and I don't want @5fouls thread shut down. Just saying the response we have received so far by those in authority....no bueno and I don't see it changing soon!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Guys, be careful.

We go even one more step into discussing government agenda, politics etc and this will be shit down super fast.

@5fouls made a good initial post that set the tone for what this thread is about. Respect that before we have to close a good and fair thread again.

You guys have done great handling a very tough subject. I think what you should do is have steel cage match. One thread. Costs $10 donation to the board to get in....and have it open for 1 day only. No holds barred just let it rip. Haha....kidding. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

You guys have done great handling a very tough subject. I think what you should do is have steel cage match. One thread. Costs $10 donation to the board to get in....and have it open for 1 day only. No holds barred just let it rip. Haha....kidding. 

I don’t think it’s a bad idea at all. Raise money for the site, open the thread to only people donating, and let people vent/curse/insult, etc. for one whole day!

On 12/28/2021 at 1:37 PM, jefftheref said:

Great idea but the NCAA is as inept as the Federal Government. 

And the people who "hire them" or vote them in. You can blame systems all you want, but it's up to the "people" to improve them, not just complain about them. Schools can hold the NCAA accountable, just like the voters can hold the government accountable. Lot of complaining, finger pointing and infighting, not much action, collaboration, or problem solving. For both, it's time to put ideologies aside and work together to solve issues, not continue to draw lines in the sand and complain about differences. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@5fouls , I like your idea. Well thought out. 

I'm sure you know well enough my position from the defunct covid thread. 

I think it would be interesting to just ditch the entire season. 

Start in March with an all in tournament starting with conference tournaments in all brackets and whoever wins their tournament plays for the championship.