Stewart and Kopp

I do not believe that our shooters position themselves particularly well to be available off the drive and in response to the double team in the post (this was abysmal under Archie) but it also true that between the two of them we miss them four or five times a half...usually because we are one track minded about post entries...I am a big believer that we need a more balanced approach. We do not need to use TJD and Race only on post ups...would be really effective to slide them to the weak side post and weak side short corner 25 percent of the time...Particularly when we have a matchup advantage on the perimeter...We have gotten much better at finding the post off the drive, and should feature that aspect of our attack. This will open up our perimeter shooters on the drive and kick as well.

I find that we are fairly easy to game plan for because we will willingly spend 20 seconds trying to get TJD to post and repost...We are much better when moving the ball fluidly an attacking off the ball reversals...

• Like 3

Kopp and Stewart are primarily spot up shooters. They are too slow and non-athletic to move, cut and create their own shot.  Put some pressure on them and force them to put the ball on the floor and they are pretty much useless on the offensive. Although they have helped some they are big time liability when playing teams that have athletes. 

2 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Needs to spend more time practicing and less time making videos.  

I like him but dayum... at some point ya gotta produce something on the court.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I like Kopp.  Nice kid.  Plays hard.  And played hard last night when called upon.  Should he start, No, But i also don't think we run our offense enough to get him tons of looks.  We're always looking for TJD and then from there.  I am also weary of starting Galloway though.  Smart kid who plays hard but is still very raw.  Plays out of control at times.  Stupid fouls and trying to go 100 all the time.  There are times for the 100 and there are times to slow it down and find the right thing, that takes time to develop.  But Galloway need more minutes, maybe just not starting.  I would sit P Stewart and give him about 5 minutes a game going forward and give those to Galloway

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I like Kopp.  Nice kid.  Plays hard.  And played hard last night when called upon.  Should he start, No, But i also don't think we run our offense enough to get him tons of looks.  We're always looking for TJD and then from there.  I am also weary of starting Galloway though.  Smart kid who plays hard but is still very raw.  Plays out of control at times.  Stupid fouls and trying to go 100 all the time.  There are times for the 100 and there are times to slow it down and find the right thing, that takes time to develop.  But Galloway need more minutes, maybe just not starting.  I would sit P Stewart and give him about 5 minutes a game going forward and give those to Galloway

I agree with most of this. I wish Kopp would contribute more but I feel the same way about him as you. At this point, I think Galloway has earned the start considering Stewart’s performance and “extracurriculars”. I know Woodson seems pretty set on his starting 5, but after last night I’m hoping we see a permanent change.

so tough right now.  i have been wanting them both to play fewer minutes whether they start or not.  with the current state of affairs, i definitely hope Stewart doesn't start until he earns it back.  if he isn't a supportive teammate and onboard with expectations, i hope he continues to sit until he leaves.  unfortunately he seems to at least give us more than Kopp, but at least Kopp isn't in trouble.  i guess i feel like the 5 who started the last game deserve at least a token start Sat. regardless of whatever else happens.  playing time, roles, and starting is obviously tricky right now because more than ever it needs to be based on attitude, effort and ability/performance.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Stewart does more than Kopp. 

• Like 1

The Parker Stewart situation is so difficult to comprehend. Here's a 23 year old young man, who arrived at IU with two degrees. He lost his father (and coach) and committed to IU due to his relationship with Kenya Hunter and the support system in place. Even though Archie was replaced, Hunter remained. This is from a December 2021 article from TDH:

Stewart came to Indiana because of Hunter.  After losing his father, he needed someone to lean on, someone he could trust.

“It’s the people that are here with you supporting you that means the most and that’s what we’ve done (for Parker),” Hunter said in the spring of Stewart, who arrived in Bloomington in January.

That support, along with the words of his father have helped the starting shooting guard provide the kind of potent perimeter weapon Indiana has missed in recent years.

“The time I had off last year I was focusing on recovering from injuries and getting myself back together mentally after my dad passed,” Stewart said.  “But my Dad always taught me to prepare myself the right way so I think getting extra shots up everyday and continuing to lock in on defense has helped this season. Along with having great teammates that I know are with me through the ups and downs.”

Stewart has proven to be an easy teammate to support.  He is well liked in the locker room, and the positive energy is flowing both ways.

“Parker is one of the most gracious guys on our team,” Jackson-Davis said.  “We all love him.”

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketballs-parker-stewart-has-found-what-he-needed-on-and-off-the-court-at-indiana/

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The Parker Stewart situation is so difficult to comprehend. Here's a 23 year old young man, who arrived at IU with two degrees. He lost his father (and coach) and committed to IU due to his relationship with Kenya Hunter and the support system in place. Even though Archie was replaced, Hunter remained. This is from a December 2021 article from TDH:

Stewart came to Indiana because of Hunter.  After losing his father, he needed someone to lean on, someone he could trust.

“It’s the people that are here with you supporting you that means the most and that’s what we’ve done (for Parker),” Hunter said in the spring of Stewart, who arrived in Bloomington in January.

That support, along with the words of his father have helped the starting shooting guard provide the kind of potent perimeter weapon Indiana has missed in recent years.

“The time I had off last year I was focusing on recovering from injuries and getting myself back together mentally after my dad passed,” Stewart said.  “But my Dad always taught me to prepare myself the right way so I think getting extra shots up everyday and continuing to lock in on defense has helped this season. Along with having great teammates that I know are with me through the ups and downs.”

Stewart has proven to be an easy teammate to support.  He is well liked in the locker room, and the positive energy is flowing both ways.

“Parker is one of the most gracious guys on our team,” Jackson-Davis said.  “We all love him.”

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketballs-parker-stewart-has-found-what-he-needed-on-and-off-the-court-at-indiana/

Thanks for bringing this up. Actions have consequences, but my heart goes out to P-Stew. He's really had a tough last few years. Nobody can measure how much a loss is going to take on an individual, let alone a son losing his father, coach and mentor. The only thing I can do is root for the kid to find his way. 

• Like 1

Problem w/MK and PS..... lack of competition behind them. Leal ain't it for now, TB is clearly worse then both of them/there is no reason to trust him, and TG was hurt for a bit and is still really developing as a shooter. Say what you want about Kopp but he's shooting 6% higher from 3 than TG. 

TG is going to gobble up some serious mins from now and until the end of the season. I don't see anyway he plays less than 22-25 mpg moving forward. He has had some serious turnover issues and those need to be addressed, but he's more than a NET positive currently. 

Now to PS-- I really don't know he deserves mins moving forward. 

So yeah, it's fairly obvious we need an upgrade at the wing, but it's not MK's fault that PS and TB are unreliable. That is THEIR fault. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Thanks for bringing this up. Actions have consequences, but my heart goes out to P-Stew. He's really had a tough last few years. Nobody can measure how much a loss is going to take on an individual, let alone a son losing his father, coach and mentor. The only thing I can do is root for the kid to find his way. 

Just seems odd that, if the coaches and teammates have been as supportive as implied in this article, that PS wouldn’t be more supportive/appreciative in return. But I have no idea what’s happening with him. 

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Stewart does more than Kopp. 

Does he? I mean I watch both of them on D simply due to comments on here about their poor D. Kopp doesn’t appear any worse than Stewart. PS is always getting beat or committing silly fouls. Kopp gets beat sometimes but he doesn’t commit silly fouls. Could be due to PS having the tougher assignments… I don’t know. Neither of them get much volume on offense. Too busy watching TJD and RT miss layups. 

15 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Does he? I mean I watch both of them on D simply due to comments on here about their poor D. Kopp doesn’t appear any worse than Stewart. PS is always getting beat or committing silly fouls. Kopp gets beat sometimes but he doesn’t commit silly fouls. Could be due to PS having the tougher assignments… I don’t know. Neither of them get much volume on offense. Too busy watching TJD and RT miss layups. 

I think PS and MK are both fine defensively. I agree, PS for sure commits stupid fouls and MK isn't the quickest of foot, but neither are even close to liabilities. Hence why we are a top 15 in overall defense, we don't have poor defenders. 

Also-- TJD and RT are both top 15 in FG% in the league. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I remember CMW saying that when the team first came in to start practice in the summer that P-Stew was the best player on the team.  So there's that.

8 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Just don't like his attitude...

I don't like Kopp missing every open shot and getting torched on d.  I'll let the coaches decide who's attitude is good or bad. If his attitude was as bad as people's TV perception , I doubt Woody would be starting him. At least he makes some shots when given some space or play call.