DIY projects 2022

mrflynn03

I'd love a vacation to Mobile. Drinking beer while playing in the water sounds fun. I'd also recommend waders if you are going to be in the water awhile. Never been there. Unfortunately I don't think that trip will be in the cards for awhile. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

I'd love a vacation to Mobile. Drinking beer while playing in the water sounds fun. I'd also recommend waders if you are going to be in the water awhile. Never been there. Unfortunately I don't think that trip will be in the cards for awhile. 

We always wait until just the right time…. Then sadly … we wish we had WAAAAY back then… 

no pressure though.🤪

29 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I’d add down south if you’re spending much time in the water you might want someone riding shotgun looking out for alligators!😂

12 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I’d add down south if you’re spending much time in the water you might want someone riding shotgun looking out for alligators!😂

I’ve only seen one gator, multiple times, in 3 yrs. …. It let me rub its belly, but there’s zero chance I’d try it sober! 

40 minutes ago, DWB said:

I honestly think he could have bought a new AC compressor for the car, for less than the gas generator and AC in this picture.

ac.png

My initial reaction was "Why the generator? Just run a power inverter and possibly install a 2nd battery...."

My next reaction was "Why am I trying to improve the engineering on a window A/C unit duct taped to a Geo Prizm?"

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

My initial reaction was "Why the generator? Just run a power inverter and possibly install a 2nd battery...."

My next reaction was "Why am I trying to improve the engineering on a window A/C unit duct taped to a Geo Prizm?"

Next reaction was Geo Prizm??

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I mean who would put Any money into a Geo?

My last couple of years in high school and most of my way through college, I was an auto repair service writer/light duty tech.  So this would have been in the 2000-2005 range.  I can remember writing up a $3200 repair ticket on a 1994 Plymouth Neon during that time.  That's about what that car booked for. 

Why do people do the things they do? I have no idea. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pinkroync said:

AC in my grandpa's truck was a crank the window down away. 

I’m old school on quite a bit of things, but I’ll readily admit to being a modern candy-ass on the above items. Power windows and a/c only for me, and I’ll kvetch all day long that the modern refrigerants don’t get as cold as R12. The a/c in my ‘88 Fiero could turn the interior into a meat locker if you left it on max. 

• Like 1

Pardon me for actually putting this thread back on topic, but here were the goings on at Chez Zline tonight. The annual spring ritual of adding, adjusting and tweaking my outdoor lighting. 

IMG_8463.jpeg

There’s 7 pathway lights, 2 wall-wash flood lights, 1 conventional diffused flood, 2 mini-spot lights, 4 fixed-beam spotlights, 5 adjustable beam width floodlights and 2 uplights , all powered by 2 150W transformers.

The two green marks are the two additions, which were the mini-spotlights. The yellow mark was an upgrade, from a fixed beam to an adjustable spot. 

Everything is low voltage (12V) LED, and everything is from Volt Lighting except the two up lights, which are WAC. 

The only other planned changes this year are the two new garage lights I almost have ready, which I’ll post about separately. I do want to add one downlight above the center of the garage door and a down light focused on the front door at some point, but…in time. 

Edit: yes, add this to the list of stuff I’m a geek about. 😂

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Pardon me for actually putting this thread back on topic, but here were the goings on at Chez Zline tonight. The annual spring ritual of adding, adjusting and tweaking my outdoor lighting. 

IMG_8463.jpeg

There’s 7 pathway lights, 2 wall-wash flood lights, 1 conventional diffused flood, 2 mini-spot lights, 4 fixed-beam spotlights, 5 adjustable beam width floodlights and 2 uplights , all powered by 2 150W transformers.

The two green marks are the two additions, which were the mini-spotlights. The yellow mark was an upgrade, from a fixed beam to an adjustable spot. 

Everything is low voltage (12V) LED, and everything is from Volt Lighting except the two up lights, which are WAC. 

The only other planned changes this year are the two new garage lights I almost have ready, which I’ll post about separately. I do want to add one downlight above the center of the garage door and a down light focused on the front door at some point, but…in time. 

Edit: yes, add this to the list of stuff I’m a geek about. 😂

Migrating birds probably hate you!

• Haha 1

Just now, Drroogh said:

Actually the majority of migratory birds fly at night. That’s why lots of local ordinances limit lighting such as yours.

Actually, all but the 2 up lights and 4 fixed beam spots are dark-sky compliant. And I have the spots dialed in on a pretty focused area, so there shouldn’t be any upward projection. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Actually, all but the 2 up lights and 4 fixed beam spots are dark-sky compliant. And I have the spots dialed in on a pretty focused area, so there shouldn’t be any upward projection. 

I'm just a beginner compared to you. I do have a couple dawn to dusk electric floods, a couple solar spots for trees and a some solar path lights. I came across the Govee Outdoor LED Strip Lights and plan on incorporating them on my next house

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I'm just a beginner compared to you. I do have a couple dawn to dusk electric floods, a couple solar spots for trees and a some solar path lights. I came across the Govee Outdoor LED Strip Lights and plan on incorporating them on my next house

Here would be my concerns with those:

1: They're IP65 rated, which is enough to protect them from a powerful storm's rain.  IP65 devices aren't rated for complete immersion though, and they may take some damage if they're covered in ice/snow for a couple of weeks. 

2: LED strips are handy for interior, but ultimately, they're really thin strips of metal inside a polymer (plastic) cover.  There's only a few specialty grades of plastics that are built to handle UV degradation.  I'd be worried about the long-term longevity of those beyond maybe 2-3 years.  I know climbing up to the top roofline of a house isn't exactly something I want to do more than once. 

I'd think twice about putting those anywhere that couldn't accumulate snow and was out of any direct sunlight.  Anything that's going to take full sun exposure, brass/aluminum/glass or UV resistant polycarbonate (Lexan). 

I will admit, the color changing feature is pretty cool, but don't get caught up in the app control.  There are ways to use conventionally transformer-based systems with any common home automation system.  Both of my transformers are plugged in to an outdoor Kasa outlet, so I can set them up on timers/schedules or turn them on and off as needed remotely. 

17 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Here would be my concerns with those:

1: They're IP65 rated, which is enough to protect them from a powerful storm's rain.  IP65 devices aren't rated for complete immersion though, and they may take some damage if they're covered in ice/snow for a couple of weeks. 

2: LED strips are handy for interior, but ultimately, they're really thin strips of metal inside a polymer (plastic) cover.  There's only a few specialty grades of plastics that are built to handle UV degradation.  I'd be worried about the long-term longevity of those beyond maybe 2-3 years.  I know climbing up to the top roofline of a house isn't exactly something I want to do more than once. 

I'd think twice about putting those anywhere that couldn't accumulate snow and was out of any direct sunlight.  Anything that's going to take full sun exposure, brass/aluminum/glass or UV resistant polycarbonate (Lexan). 

I will admit, the color changing feature is pretty cool, but don't get caught up in the app control.  There are ways to use conventionally transformer-based systems with any common home automation system.  Both of my transformers are plugged in to an outdoor Kasa outlet, so I can set them up on timers/schedules or turn them on and off as needed remotely. 

Where I've seen them and where I would want them is under the eve - protected from rain and sun. Most of the time would leave them white but would use the colors for a week around Valentines, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, Christmas, etc. Maybe go crimosonon IU game days? There are other manufacturers. I like the concept of a permanent color changing accent light. 

https://us.govee.com/collections/outdoor-lights/products/govee-rgbicww-led-permanent-outdoor-lights