DIY projects 2022

mrflynn03

• 2 months later...

Anyone ever built an outdoor sectional?  I have my cushions, just dialing in design, material, and finish.   

Going with these cushions.  My decking is this grey trex.  My house is white with black windows.  I'm  leaning towards a mix of black across the seating rails and back and then white for the arm rests.  

8194-03672201_MAIN.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Never considered that... Can't wait to see your finished project. What material will you be using? 

I've been watching modern farmhouse videos looking for ideas and inspiration as probably going that route for the home I want to build in a couple years

I guess just treated.  I guess I don't need treated if I'm painting but it should last quite a long time with 3 coats of paint.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I guess just treated.  I guess I don't need treated if I'm painting but it should last quite a long time with 3 coats of paint.  

Just a suggestion: Put some nylon feet on all your legs to keep your lumber from "wicking up" moisture from the deck when it rains. It will also minimize marring your deck boards when movement of components occur.

Just my 2¢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I think it was here that we spoke about scaffolding. Here is and example of the Bamboo scaffolding that I saw in India. HUGE BALLS

bambo scaffold.jpg

Seen construction’s like this in Hong Kong. People don’t realize that bamboo pound for pound is right there with steel! What’s crazy is how high they build the scaffolding. I remember falling off trying to build scaffolding 4 levels high. Can’t imagine these people building this?!?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Seen construction’s like this in Hong Kong. People don’t realize that bamboo pound for pound is right there with steel! What’s crazy is how high they build the scaffolding. I remember falling off trying to build scaffolding 4 levels high. Can’t imagine these people building this?!?!

That pic is actualy Hong Kong. It was the closest that I've seen that mimicked what I saw in India. Obviously it works jsut fine, there's a heck of a lot more of them than there are of us! I am just amazed at how they jump around on them liek monkeys in a banana tree. No cares in the world. 

Helped a buddy last weekend rebuild and expand his deck. Stripped it down to just the support posts, and built a new bridge beam for the joists to sit on, new floor joists and 2x6 decking boards. 26'x12', about 10' off the ground. Put the metal skirt around the bottom this morning.

Turned out OK. He's happy, so that's all that matters I guess. 

Deck 1.jpg

Deck 2.jpg

Edited by DWB
  • Like 6

43 minutes ago, DWB said:

Helped a buddy last weekend rebuild and expand his deck. Stripped it down to just the support posts, and built a new bridge beam for the joists to sit on, new floor joists and 2x6 decking boards. 26'x12', about 10' off the ground. Put the metal skirt around the bottom this morning.

Turned out OK. He's happy, so that's all that matters I guess. 

Deck 1.jpg

Deck 2.jpg

Remember my friend asking me to help build an entrance deck. I got there and he had the materials, but all he had was a hand saw and a 5# sledge?! Still, we managed to build a reasonably good entrance deck! Nothing as good looking as yours but not bad.

• Like 1

I'm about to finally finish my deck upgrade.  The parts that wrap around the front and South side I've just repaired.  The back deck is a complete rebuild. I was able to get spare 4x4s from the farm. 

A few years ago I bought the property next door. The deck they built was all 2x6s. So I have about 30 12x6x12 boards already. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm about to finally finish my deck upgrade.  The parts that wrap around the front and South side I've just repaired.  The back deck is a complete rebuild. I was able to get spare 4x4s from the farm. 

A few years ago I bought the property next door. The deck they built was all 2x6s. So I have about 30 12x6x12 boards already. 

Post some pics!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DWB said:

Last I heard, Flex steel isn't structural, nor is PVC pipe. Hang a 65" TV on that mount, and you just blew $1500+

First plan, find someone capable! Fix the now  hemorrhaging drain pipe. Don’t hire digital geeks to do mechanical installation!

11 hours ago, DWB said:

Whoever did this, should have his tools confiscated, and get a brain transplant.

TV Mount.jpeg

YOu know, I saw that on Reddit also and was laughing my butt off. But then I started studying it a little. It has drywall under it that they have cut around to make the picture. I bet a stud finder would find that PVC pipe just like a stud (not me). Then I have to ask, just because that is what I do. The only reason I can think of to cut that drywall out, is to chase a problem. If there were a problem, wouldn't the first thing to do be take down the TV mount? Why would anyone cut out around it?

No doubt this is funny as all get out. But I think it's staged for that exact purpose and only that purpose.

• Like 2

Just a PSA gang. Whether it's in Indy or elsewhere if your DIY projects get you to a point where you need contractor help please do a thorough check of the person or persons doing the work. Just a simple Google search. 

Wife has gotten her 3rd case in the last 60 days from people who hire these contractors who get good $ up front and never do the work. Leaving the homeowners doubling down to fix the mistake and hire someone to go after the original contractors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...