DIY projects 2022

mrflynn03

On 3/30/2024 at 4:19 PM, Seeking6 said:

Ok does it make me lesser of a man or I guess bad husband if I absolutely detest putting stuff together? We have a very generous MIL and occasionally she ships things. Last week we were sent some additional patio/deck furniture and chairs and other stuff.

Anyway my entire life (when I can afford) I buy preassembled. I hate putting stuff together. Almost makes my brain hurt. Anyway...she sent some chairs and tables and other stuff and all require assembling. I'm half tempted to return and pay the difference for assembled.

PS....she won't ever give us a gift card. 

I put most of our things like that together. My husband hates it as well.

Glad I found this thread!

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 4:19 PM, Seeking6 said:

Ok does it make me lesser of a man or I guess bad husband if I absolutely detest putting stuff together? We have a very generous MIL and occasionally she ships things. Last week we were sent some additional patio/deck furniture and chairs and other stuff.

Anyway my entire life (when I can afford) I buy preassembled. I hate putting stuff together. Almost makes my brain hurt. Anyway...she sent some chairs and tables and other stuff and all require assembling. I'm half tempted to return and pay the difference for assembled.

PS....she won't ever give us a gift card. 

I like do things like this from time to time. I have always been in the construction industry, now white collar side. Get a handy man, or the app taskrabbit. I think you can get people for like $30/hr on taskrabbit

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DWB said:

Nice caulking job, wouldn't you say ??

Caulk job.jpeg

If I was paying someone to install stone and got this as a result, they'd find the tube of caulk and the caulking gun shoved so far into their rectal orifice, they'd be sneezing caulk for a year.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If I was paying someone to install stone and got this as a result, they'd find the tube of caulk and the caulking gun shoved so far into their rectal orifice, they'd be sneezing caulk for a year.

That’s one way of getting a butt lift.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

There's a joke here somewhere about them inhaling on the caulk tube. :)

3 hours ago, MrsStoller said:

I put most of our things like that together. My husband hates it as well.

Glad I found this thread!

Grandfather was Electrical Engineer....could do anything with electronics or technology, Dad was a CPA but his true passion was cars....rebuilt his toys, did all his own maintenance....

Do you think I was passed down any of those traits? Nada. Zip. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Get a handy man, or the app taskrabbit. I think you can get people for like $30/hr on taskrabbit

I have lines that divide what I will do myself or hire someone to do. Any plumbing? - definitely hired out. Electrical work? - depends. I don't mind replacing a light switch, electrical outlet or re-wiring a lamp, but things like replacing ceiling lights I leave to a pro. If I needed a window replaced, I'd hire it out, but just re-screening a storm window, I do myself.

Just last fall I hired some folks to rebuild two wooden decks at my house but did stone steps at another entry door myself. While the decks are not huge, it still would have taken forever for me to do by myself. Had the roofing replaced by them as well.

Maybe the way to describe it is if a job is better done by a contractor with a good insurance policy, that's the way to go. I do all the land work with my tractor, bush hog, blade and front loader.

On 1/27/2024 at 3:23 PM, DWB said:

Grew up on a small hobby farm in NW Indiana. Dad had a Ford 8n. Now that I'm retired, I have 5 acres (of yard) that I mow, and a ½ mile driveway to maintain. Plus I built our house, and did a boat-load of excavation, and finish work with the 2016 tractor (38 hp) that I bought to build and maintain the property (originally 10 acres of yard, but I sold 5 a year or so ago).

I've got several PTO implements and just hooking them up, I always get banged up, and start bleeding. Sometimes I look like "death by a 1000 cuts". Most of the time I don't even notice it until I go in the house and the wife says "you're bleeding!!" 

I can relate to that. My first tractor was an 8n. Great in their day, not so much now. These days I use a Deere tractor. Spoiled by it having four-wheel drive and power steering. Dad would have loved that. I have 40 acres to maintain. It can be relaxing except for yellow jacket season. Been swarmed more than once when mowing over the nests they build in the ground.

You talk about getting cuts? Yep, been there too. Thing is, once a piece of equipment gets a taste of your blood, it always seems to want more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom White said:

I have lines that divide what I will do myself or hire someone to do. Any plumbing? - definitely hired out. Electrical work? - depends. I don't mind replacing a light switch, electrical outlet or re-wiring a lamp, but things like replacing ceiling lights I leave to a pro. If I needed a window replaced, I'd hire it out, but just re-screening a storm window, I do myself.

Just last fall I hired some folks to rebuild two wooden decks at my house but did stone steps at another entry door myself. While the decks are not huge, it still would have taken forever for me to do by myself. Had the roofing replaced by them as well.

Maybe the way to describe it is if a job is better done by a contractor with a good insurance policy, that's the way to go. I do all the land work with my tractor, bush hog, blade and front loader.

I can do about anything. GF ordered unbeknownst to me a hot tub. It was delivered on a Monday. She started freaking out about it sitting in the drive for too long. So in three days after work. I built a 300 sf 3 tiered deck to support a 5000 lb hot tub.. My line is if it's fun vs pain in the ass..... and $$$$$ savings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom White said:

It can be relaxing except for yellow jacket season. Been swarmed more than once when mowing over the nests they build in the ground.

Can say that pouring gas down a yellow jacket hole works. Just don’t be that guy that thinks you need to light it!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Can say that pouring gas down a yellow jacket hole works. Just don’t be that guy that thinks you need to light it!!!!!!!!

I know, but I refuse to do that. My property is bordered on two sides by large creeks and I also have a small lake. Don't want gas seeping through the soil, even though it wouldn't be much. I use a spray foam made for this very purpose.

Over the years I have taken to carrying a reflective driveway marker on the riding mower and the tractor. You know the types with a red reflector on one end and a 30" or so shaft beneath that? If I find a nest in the ground, I drive on by it then grab one of those markers and lay the reflector as close to the hole as I can. Then when the sun sets, I go back out with my can of spray and a flashlight. The reflector makes it easier to find the hole in the dark so I can fill it with the foam.

Edited by Tom White

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Grandfather was Electrical Engineer....could do anything with electronics or technology, Dad was a CPA but his true passion was cars....rebuilt his toys, did all his own maintenance....

Do you think I was passed down any of those traits? Nada. Zip. 

My dad is a retired CPA, and my father-in-law was an electrician. My mom is more of an artist/writer. I like to say my parents’ skills of accounting and writing/art came together in my love of excel spreadsheets. 😂 (I like left and right brain things lol.) I found a love of woodworking & painting & putting those together now in a little side hustle.  My husband and his dad enjoyed woodworking so we’ve got lots of tools, most of which I don’t know the proper name but I’m learning! 😂

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Drroogh said:

There is only one true answer and has the most satisfaction, although quite sadistic. 

Shop vac with about 3-4" of soapy water in the bottom. Lay the hose right next to their entrance hole. Set and watch them get sucked into the black hole, one at a time ! I Imagine them flapping their little wings, flying backwards, with a terrified scream on their little faces.......    😧 

4 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

There is only one true answer and has the most satisfaction, although quite sadistic. 

Shop vac with about 3-4" of soapy water in the bottom. Lay the hose right next to their entrance hole. Set and watch them get sucked into the black hole, one at a time ! I Imagine them flapping their little wings, flying backwards, with a terrified scream on their little faces.......    😧 

Do you bring a lawn chair and cooler? Might have to think about a clear shopvac housing for people like you?

Just now, Drroogh said:

Do you bring a lawn chair and cooler? Might have to think about a clear shopvac housing for people like you?

Whoa... That would be a game changer right there !!! Video them holding on to the ripples in the hose with one hand, then swooosh... They gone. lol

On 2/2/2024 at 8:38 PM, DWB said:

Installing a "Catch can" on your engine to capture contaminants, and residue solids from your engine, and not recirculate them back into the intake manifold to go thru the engine again. (keeps you engine much cleaner internally).

I plan on keeping this vehicle until the wheels fall off, so keeping the engine as clean as possible will extend the life of it.

Here's a pic of the finished install. The catch can and the 2 hoses.

IMG_0097.jpg

Update: Driven about 2000 miles since the install, and when I changed the engine oil and filter a couple of days ago, I checked the catch can, and it had about 1 oz of junk in the bottom. Can holds ~12 oz or so. Certainly not a lot, but I change my engine oil every 2500 miles so things tend to stay pretty clean. But every bit of junk that doesn't go back in the engine is more miles for me.

• Like 2

We've had bad fruit flies in the house a few times. It's a hazard when you have small pets, and they don't finish all the treats you give them. The traps we set didn't seem to work, so I took out the extension on the vacuum and started spot clearing flies from the walls and furniture. Makes a real satisfying tink when you pick one of and it gets sucked down the hose.

2 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Makes a real satisfying tink when you pick one of and it gets sucked down the hose.

Have to admit, that gave me a laugh! I get Lady Bugs a couple times a year, and when they come out, they come out in huge numbers. A car vac (cordless rechargeable) comes in handy for around windows and such.

8 hours ago, Maedhros said:

We've had bad fruit flies in the house a few times. It's a hazard when you have small pets, and they don't finish all the treats you give them. The traps we set didn't seem to work, so I took out the extension on the vacuum and started spot clearing flies from the walls and furniture. Makes a real satisfying tink when you pick one of and it gets sucked down the hose.

wait until you discover the electric bug zapper fly swatter contraptions.

You know what you want to do, when you swing the thing and get 12 ZAPS is one swing??

Hear 13 ZAPS next time !!! and then 14...  

• 2 weeks later...