DIY projects 2022

mrflynn03

Grew up on a small hobby farm in NW Indiana. Dad had a Ford 8n. Now that I'm retired, I have 5 acres (of yard) that I mow, and a ½ mile driveway to maintain. Plus I built our house, and did a boat-load of excavation, and finish work with the 2016 tractor (38 hp) that I bought to build and maintain the property (originally 10 acres of yard, but I sold 5 a year or so ago).

I've got several PTO implements and just hooking them up, I always get banged up, and start bleeding. Sometimes I look like "death by a 1000 cuts". Most of the time I don't even notice it until I go in the house and the wife says "you're bleeding!!" 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

Grew up on a small hobby farm in NW Indiana. Dad had a Ford 8n. Now that I'm retired, I have 5 acres (of yard) that I mow, and a ½ mile driveway to maintain. Plus I built our house, and did a boat-load of excavation, and finish work with the 2016 tractor (38 hp) that I bought to build and maintain the property (originally 10 acres of yard, but I sold 5 a year or so ago).

I've got several PTO implements and just hooking them up, I always get banged up, and start bleeding. Sometimes I look like "death by a 1000 cuts". Most of the time I don't even notice it until I go in the house and the wife says "you're bleeding!!" 

Wives pay attention to the least important details, am I right? Look at that dang yard would ya !!!

This is a real easy one. 

Installing a "Catch can" on your engine to capture contaminants, and residue solids from your engine, and not recirculate them back into the intake manifold to go thru the engine again. (keeps you engine much cleaner internally).

(You mechanics and skip this paragraph.) Part of the engine's pollution control system includes a PCV valve on top of your rocker arm covers and diverts/recirculates unburned exhaust gases (and other stuff) back into the engine to get mixed with your clean fuel and burned again in the cylinders. Depending on the engine, age, an type of driving, there can be significant amounts of "junk" that goes back into the engine. Most of witch are not beneficial to the long term health of your pistons, rings, cylinders, and other downstream components like catalytic converters, etc.

By installing a Catch Can, you re-direct those PVC gases and particulates into the catch can where they settle to the bottom, and cleaner air recirculates back into the intake manifold. It's an easy install, and inexpensive. Took me less than 20 minutes. You remove an OEM hose, and install 2 more. One hose from PVC valve to catch can, one hose from catch can to intake manifold. You're essentially adding a loop with a filter between the PVC valve and the intake manifold.

I plan on keeping this vehicle until the wheels fall off, so keeping the engine as clean as possible will extend the life of it.

Here's a pic of the finished install. The catch can and the 2 hoses.

IMG_0097.jpg

Edited by DWB
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, DWB said:

This is a real easy one. 

Installing a "Catch can" on your engine to capture contaminants, and residue solids from your engine, and not recirculate them back into the intake manifold to go thru the engine again. (keeps you engine much cleaner internally).

(You mechanics and skip this paragraph.) Part of the engine's pollution control system includes a PCV valve on top of your rocker arm covers and diverts/recirculates unburned exhaust gases (and other stuff) back into the engine to get mixed with your clean fuel and burned again in the cylinders. Depending on the engine, age, an type of driving, there can be significant amounts of "junk" that goes back into the engine. Most of witch are not beneficial to the long term health of your pistons, rings, cylinders, and other downstream components like catalytic converters, etc.

By installing a Catch Can, you re-direct those PVC gases and particulates into the catch can where they settle to the bottom, and cleaner air recirculates back into the intake manifold. It's an easy install, and inexpensive. Took me less than 20 minutes. You remove an OEM hose, and install 2 more. One hose from PVC valve to catch can, one hose from catch can to intake manifold. You're essentially adding a loop with a filter between the PVC valve and the intake manifold.

I plan on keeping this vehicle until the wheels fall off, so keeping the engine as clean as possible will extend the life of it.

Here's a pic of the finished install. The catch can and the 2 hoses.

IMG_0097.jpg

I considered that for my pickup but never got to it. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Anyone every intentionally removed a fingernail, for medicinal purposes? whats the best process? 

I've got got crap jammed under one and no way to get it out without removal.
The discharge is kinda gross. 

Had to have a big toe nail removed. Went to the ER. They have to numb it before removal.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DWB said:

Had to have a big toe nail removed. Went to the ER. They have to numb it before removal.

I’m pretty sure I had already administered the numbing agent, when I posted that. I woke up with the nail intact, since I didn’t get a quick answer.  Lololol !!! 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, I'm trying to replace some parts in my toilet tank, but one of the bolts holding it to the bowl is rusted tight to the nut. Tried a penetrating oil, tried some 8" built cutters, neither have been up to the task. Any suggestions on a tool to cut through it?

8 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Hey folks, I'm trying to replace some parts in my toilet tank, but one of the bolts holding it to the bowl is rusted tight to the nut. Tried a penetrating oil, tried some 8" built cutters, neither have been up to the task. Any suggestions on a tool to cut through it?

If you have the tools and can get to it try drilling it out through the head. May take a few tries to find the right size bit. 

15 hours ago, pinkroync said:

If you have the tools and can get to it try drilling it out through the head. May take a few tries to find the right size bit. 

Use a center punch to give your drill a start so it’s not walking.

My grandson wanted a 3d printer for his 12th birthday. Seeing as I had an industrial in my office twenty some years ago I bought him one. When I went out to visit I had to download and learn new slicing software then teach it to him. He sent me a picture of his latest Ewok print, he picked it up pretty quick!

image000000.jpeg.0e70d287cff241c07685364a414c6e1b.jpeg

Next step will be teaching him to create his own 3d models! 
Kind of feels good to be the grandpa that still has it technically.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I ended up buying a small hacksaw. It was a pain given the angle and the tight space, but it got the job done.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

A sign I made for my church.  Contractor hung it a touch high but we can get taller shrubs to even it out. :)
IMG_1696.jpeg

Looks good! Like a "stairway to heaven" (as the song says)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Naturalhoosier said:

A sign I made for my church.  Contractor hung it a touch high but we can get taller shrubs to even it out. :)

IMG_1696.jpeg

My son the commercial construction project manager will quite often show up to check on work and be WTH? Only to check the project specs and realize the Architect was an idiot!

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

My son the commercial construction project manager will quite often show up to check on work and be WTH? Only to check the project specs and realize the Architect was an idiot!

Sounds like my wife and your son could have some long comedic conversations. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

IMG_1696.jpeg

Nice work. I can tell the backer is wood and the letters are aluminum with standoffs, but what is the edging?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok does it make me lesser of a man or I guess bad husband if I absolutely detest putting stuff together? We have a very generous MIL and occasionally she ships things. Last week we were sent some additional patio/deck furniture and chairs and other stuff.

Anyway my entire life (when I can afford) I buy preassembled. I hate putting stuff together. Almost makes my brain hurt. Anyway...she sent some chairs and tables and other stuff and all require assembling. I'm half tempted to return and pay the difference for assembled.

PS....she won't ever give us a gift card. 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ok does it make me lesser of a man or I guess bad husband if I absolutely detest putting stuff together? We have a very generous MIL and occasionally she ships things. Last week we were sent some additional patio/deck furniture and chairs and other stuff.

Anyway my entire life (when I can afford) I buy preassembled. I hate putting stuff together. Almost makes my brain hurt. Anyway...she sent some chairs and tables and other stuff and all require assembling. I'm half tempted to return and pay the difference for assembled.

Pay someone to put it together for you, I might be available!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Deck furniture? I’d assemble that for a case of beer and have time to sit in said furniture that evening and drink it. 

Have to remember, for every one person like you, there’s one crazy sumbitch like me that not only doesn’t buy assembled, but won’t even buy kits of stuff because I want every component of something to be just the way I want it. 

Outsource. Theres likely plenty of people around you that would do the same. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Surely you have a friend available.