Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Unfortunately I have got caught breaking the law more than once. 

We all break the law, even you, it's all about who gets caught. 

We all should get mercy and forgiveness.  

We should be willing to give people chances...But there is a limit...

Our society is littered with people who've had multiple chances and never made good on any of them...

• Like 1

definitely one of those times that i didn't want to be right, but 3-4 wins the rest of the way regardless of the 5 players' fates seems realistic...

...call me crazy, but still not a fan of Race shooting 3s...

...it does say a lot that Woodson sat those guys out, but would be really disappointing to me if any of them turned around and started the next game.  solid playing time?  sure, but not right back to starting...

...i never saw Stewart, but if his body language was as bad as everyone is saying and he wasn't cheering his team on, coaches obviously had to see it and will definitely see it on film.  i've had multiple college coaches tell me that they actually watch the film and chart things related to bench energy, etc.  if he is letting his teammates down that way, he should be done..  

...once all of this is sorted out, the bottom line is that Kopp just isn't good enough...

...very strange to me that Dumcomb didn't even get spot minutes with only 6 other scholarship players available.  

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

The dumbest thing IU ever did was to fire Samspon.  This crap keeps happening no matter what.   Happened with Crean, Archie, and now Woody.  Probably happens everywhere it just gets swept under the rug.  At least with Kelvin we'd have a top 5 coach and probably a banner or two by now.  But this administration is so completely inept I fear it's all over.

smh.....

• Like 9

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

So it was curfew and not drug related according to Rabby.

That was the reason for last night's suspension.  Doesn't mean it's the end of the story.  

Doesn't mean the players can't be tested once they get back to Bloomington.

Watching Woodson's post game presser and his level of anger and frustration seemed to go well beyond what we would see for missed curfew.

Coul just be that is because many of these guys have had previous off court issues.  Could be there is more to last night than a simple curfew violation.  Could be both.

I'm leaning both.  I think there is a process in place that needs to be completed before it can officially be something other than a curfew violation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdstultz said:

Just for reference: I believe that 7 players were caught smoking weed in Alaska in 78. 3 seldom-used reserves were kicked off the team; 4 others (including Tolbert and Woodson) were given “probation”. I only bring this up to illustrate that neither weed nor hypocrisy are new to IU basketball. 

The "seldom-used reserves" part is not entirely true.  Tommy Baker was a part time starter the previous season and Jim Roberson played minutes the previous season as well.  But your point is taken.

I had an odd night where I had to watch this thing late at night because of a work obligation. I did skip over some of the unraveling in the second half.  I could see where it was headed and fast forwarded in the hopes that I was wrong.  

I will say that one thing that has been undersold from the comments is the HEART of those guys who went out there and played.  

Trey is proving his fan base more and more right.  Let’s just move him into a 30 minute per game role and be done with it.  Love this kid.  

From an X’s and O’s standpoint, one observation. If the defense is collapsing on Trayce, I’d rather them hit the open man than watch Trayce force up a brick. The better choice is to force the help off Trayce by hitting shots elsewhere.  If you balance that out better, they won’t collapse on Trayce so hard.  It was working so they kept doing it.  One play begets another.  We need to break that cycle. 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know you get intel from time to time.  I was of the understanding that weed was an automatic 2 game suspension.  If Coach isn't sure yet then maybe they got caught buying or in possession?

If a few guys have multiple offenses, how does that escalate?  4 game, 5 game, indefinite, season, or off the team?

I don't have any specifics and need to thread lightly but I think that just like CBK and most coaches not all players are treated equally. I don't think the punishments are set in stone or accessible to anyone outside of the staff. A lot of things happen at practice and some let the team handle stuff that might go unnoticed.  I'm doing some dancing and beating around the bush. At the end of the day I would not expect every player to have the same punishment.  We might see it that way if it's 1 game each but there will be some other stuff happening based on who and not being the first incident

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That was the reason for last night's suspension.  Doesn't mean it's the end of the story.  

Doesn't mean the players can't be tested once they get back to Bloomington.

Watching Woodson's post game presser and his level of anger and frustration seemed to go well beyond what we would see for missed curfew.

Coul just be that is because many of these guys have had previous off court issues.  Could be there is more to last night than a simple curfew violation.  Could be both.

I'm leaning both.  I think there is a process in place that needs to be completed before it can officially be something other than a curfew violation.

2 games is for a failed drug test right?  

What do you get for being high as a kite or drunk and caught missing curfew? 

Im speculating.

2 hours ago, jdstultz said:

Just for reference: I believe that 7 players were caught smoking weed in Alaska in 78. 3 seldom-used reserves were kicked off the team; 4 others (including Tolbert and Woodson) were given “probation”. I only bring this up to illustrate that neither weed nor hypocrisy are new to IU basketball. 

'78 could have been a first offense vs repeat offense decision.  Should not automatically assume it was hypocricy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't have any specifics and need to thread lightly but I think that just like CBK and most coaches not all players are treated equally. I don't think the punishments are set in stone or accessible to anyone outside of the staff. A lot of things happen at practice and some let the team handle stuff that might go unnoticed.  I'm doing some dancing and beating around the bush. At the end of the day I would not expect every player to have the same punishment.  We might see it that way if it's 1 game each but there will be some other stuff happening based on who and not being the first incident

Im pretty sure a failed drug test is either NCAA policy or IU athletic department policy.  Late for curfew and walking in drunk or high isn't a failed test so not the auto 2 games.  I get what you are saying.  

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

2 games is for a failed drug test right?  

What do you get for being high as a kite or drunk and caught missing curfew? 

Im speculating.

I have a gut feeling that the suspension for some may be longer than others.  

Some could be curfew only.  Some could be curfew plus another violation.

Some could be repeat offenders.  For some, it could be a first offense.

Would not be surprised to see some back next game while others sit 2 or 3 more games.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

So it was curfew and not drug related according to Rabby.

But, others have heard.  Its sad when due process is not given to players  and especially young adults who are still kids.  I was at the game, it was sad not to see some of these kids play.  But, the rumors that I have read on this board last night and this morning, sad.  

These kids should follow the rules and Woodson IS setting the culture.  What many do not understand is that Coach wants to win, he also wants to leave this program is top shape and that is his ultimate goal - sustainable success.

And, by the way, this program facilitates drug tests.  Just saying to help with some of the rumors.  

The kids last night played their hearts out.  A pg made DIY and just in time.  TJD was hit all game and since his injury has not been the same - but he is grinding it out.

And to the Indiana fans - there was one sitting behind me - the arm chair yelling comments (too much dribbling, etc.)--- ugggg.  

My son, who is destined to go to IU as it is in his blood said, "I thought Indiana Basketball fans know the game".......?

Edited by Fiveoutofsix
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

That’s valid especially about context and how many violations, etc.  Fans won’t know the full context of those types of things.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

'78 could have been a first offense vs repeat offense decision.  Should not automatically assume it was hypocricy.

I was going to post the same thing.  

There are some things we aren’t going to know and that’s ok.  It’s internal team business.  The coaches and AD can capably handle it.  

The one thing we saw is that Woodson is trying to instill discipline and accountability.  I like that.  At the same time, he played college  in the 70s and pro in the 80s.  He was part of the Alaska fiasco.  We all know what he saw in the NBA of the 80s.   He will reason with them.  He’s seen it from both sides.  

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I had an odd night where I had to watch this thing late at night because of a work obligation. I did skip over some of the unraveling in the second half.  I could see where it was headed and fast forwarded in the hopes that I was wrong.  

I will say that one thing that has been undersold from the comments is the HEART of those guys who went out there and played.  

Trey is proving his fan base more and more right.  Let’s just move him into a 30 minute per game role and be done with it.  Love this kid.  

From an X’s and O’s standpoint, one observation. If the defense is collapsing on Trayce, I’d rather them hit the open man than watch Trayce force up a brick. The better choice is to force the help off Trayce by hitting shots elsewhere.  If you balance that out better, they won’t collapse on Trayce so hard.  It was working so they kept doing it.  One play begets another.  We need to break that cycle. 

They were, shots were not dropping.  There best shot was around the rim.  Kopp, etc just didn't have buckets dropping.  When that happens, go with your strength. 

We were able to the game early, as soon as they opened at 6:30.  Leal is struggling with his shot, even before game.  However, the kid played 100%.  Shots were just not falling and that is where I observed the need for Parker to be out there.  They don't have range, and hopefully that is developed this summer.

If free throws went in, different story.  To have 3 T's is what really hurt.  All 3 were questionable.

Healthy Rob, even with the 5 out.  Different story.

Edited by Fiveoutofsix
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

But, others have heard.  Its sad when due process is not given to players  and especially young adults who are still kids.  I was at the game, it was sad not to see some of these kids play.  But, the rumors that I have read on this board last night and this morning, sad.  

These kids should follow the rules and Woodson IS setting the culture.  What many do not understand is that Coach wants to win, he also wants to leave this program is top shape and that is his ultimate goal - sustainable success.

And, by the way, this program facilitates drug tests.  Just saying to help with some of the rumors.  

The kids last night played their hearts out.  A pg made DIY and just in time.  TJD was hit all game and since his injury has not been the same - but he is grinding it out.

And to the Indiana fans - there was one sitting behind me - the arm chair yelling comments (too much dribbling, etc.)--- ugggg.  

My son, who is destined to go to IU as it is in his blood truned said, I thought Indiana Basketball fans know the game?

😂😂😂😂😂 cant be a real complaint 

I think many are jumping to conclusions. They said it’s a curfew violation. Weed was not mentioned; the only reason it’s part of the conversation is because of a rumor on another board. It was actually reported that this was not drug related. Yet, the thread was completely derailed into this narrative.

I saw the rumor that Romeo was sleeping with Green’s girlfriend was brought up. Green was asked about that on a podcast and he laughed about it because it never happened. 

Message boards aren’t typically good about handling rumors. 

• Like 2

The whole thing just feels like a giant punch to the gut.  I have to admit this thing might be a lot further from turning the corner than I had hoped.  

I respect the heck out of the guys who played and how hard they competed.  I feel bad being critical of any of them because they were on the floor, but TJD just has to be better and Kopp has to make shots. I won't say any more than that because they kept their nose clean and got to play.  

I was at the game earlier this year where Stewart had to sit a half.  His demeanor then and last night were the same.  

Let's see if we can find a way to win three more. 

• Like 1