Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, AxnJxn said:

If they broke curfew, then that's impacting their "job," at least it is with respect to what CMW is setting for job requirements. I'm guessing they have to be up early for walkthroughs or other team related things, and in their boss's opinion, they aren't getting enough rest to function properly or whatever.

I agree with another poster that we shouldn't be speculating on drugs or other things since those are just rumors at this point (and I've been guilty of that myself in earlier posts), so I'm just going to leave it at that example, but CMW has rules in place for a reason, and if they're breaking those rules, then in his opinion, that's going to affect their performance. 

I hear you, but it's not my bosses business how much sleep or rest I get. Michael Jordan played a game hungover in the NBA Finals, and it was no ones business because he met his obligations to his team. The reason Woody's response is completely appropriate and I applaud it is because these guys are not professionals. Professionals get to make those type of decisions for themselves and get more freedoms than what college kids get.. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

It’s that the painkillers talking? You’re actually making sense today! 😆

JK….hope you are feeling well. 

😂😂yes , I am timing my posts in between. Spinal block worn off so pain management is the priority. Passed all the PT/OT requirements so just waiting to be discharged 

Thanks for checking in 👍

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I hear you, but it's not my bosses business how much sleep or rest I get. Michael Jordan played a game hungover in the NBA Finals, and it was no ones business because he met his obligations to his team. The reason Woody's response is completely appropriate and I applaud it is because these guys are not professionals. Professionals get to make those type of decisions for themselves and get more freedoms than what college kids get.. 

Yeah, the job analogy isn't the best, and I get what you are saying. I guess you could say that CMW sets the job requirements, if you will, and you either abide by those or you don't play, and getting enough sleep is one of those requirements. I'd imagine he's pretty up front about those things, too. 

I had a sales job back in the day, and we had conferences and things were we technically had a curfew. Pretty much no one follow it, because 'F that, I'm an adult' and so forth, but there could have been consequences if they had enforced it. There are also companies that don't allow employees to date each other and so forth, so there are situations where your job may have some say in what you do on your own time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree to disagree. If we are categorizing them the way so many of you are trying then they shouldn't have a curfew - I don't think Woody would agree with you guys.

Do you think in any of his time coaching real pro athletes he suspended someone for being out late? 

It isn't black and white, I agree there.  We probably mostly agree and are quibbling around terminology.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is just not breaking curfew that is the problem but it what they were doing while they were breaking curfew.  Do you think they just wanted to sight seeing and see Lake Shore drive.  If there is a curfew it is there for a reason and it should be respected.

None of us know for sure what they were doing. The issue is they broke a team rule; no more, no less. This doesn't say some big, over arching thing about who they are as a person or the culture of the team/program. Or at least we don't have enough information to draw those type of conclusions. 

7 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yeah, the job analogy isn't the best, and I get what you are saying. I guess you could say that CMW sets the job requirements, if you will, and you either abide by those or you don't play, and getting enough sleep is one of those requirements. I'd imagine he's pretty up front about those things, too. 

I had a sales job back in the day, and we had conferences and things were we technically had a curfew. Pretty much no one follow it, because 'F that, I'm an adult' and so forth, but there could have been consequences if they had enforced it. There are also companies that don't allow employees to date each other and so forth, so there are situations where your job may have some say in what you do on your own time.

I think overall you and I agree on the overarching point here, that's the main thing :cheers:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, if I break the law and endanger people in a vehicle that my company is paying for then my employer has a right to take action. And I'd likely be missing meetings the next day if I got arrested. That's an absurd analogy to what happened with the players though.

But if I got get drunk at the hotel bar or go to an orgy or anything else that you would deem to be sinful and immoral, it's none of their business if it's on my own time and doesn't impact anything work related. I'm not saying that to say the players shouldn't be punished; I'm saying the opposite. The players aren't employees and they aren't professionals. Comparing them to employees or professionals doesn't hold up. 

Agree.  I did have one situation.  I went on a business trip with an associate in my firm.  We had some sort of proceeding the next day.  The night before, we parted at 11 pm (I am married).  He said he was going out.  The next morning, he was chugging coffee, but his mouth smelled strongly of alcohol.  This was 8 or 9 am.  I worked with him, closely and he was basically my guy.  Fantastic.  I didn't let on that I knew, but he was acting nervous like he was worried I could tell.  (It reminds me of how a "mother always knows" because no one knows your looks and attitude like your mom).  His performance was totally fine, as usual, and I never uttered a word, nor did I let on to him.  If he made it a pattern and it affected his work, that would have been a different situation.  But the difference would be letting it bleed into his work.

My philosophy at work is to be extremely circumspect about what I tell firm management or powers that be.  If you let every little emotion be passed around, people can get fired or squeezed.  I don't recommend mention anything unless it is critical or dispositive information.  

Anyway, I think what people do in their personal time is up to them unless it affects their work, which is the correct focal point anyway.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

I am sure some of this goes on every where but I don't remember hearing about 5 guys getting suspended at the same time.  We all know the type of kids Sampson brought on, Crean had transfer because of idiots we had on the team.  There are rumors about Archie's crew as well.

It seems like Painter has a culture and a type of player he recruits.  For a couple of years he strayed from that and it cost him.  The only problems I remember them having was the Kline incident.

Edited by IU Scott

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am sure some of this hoes on every where but I don't remember hearing about 5 guys getting suspended at the same time.  We all know the type of kids Sampson brought on, Crean had transfer because of idiots we had on the team.  There are rumors about Archie's crew as well.

It seems yjay Painter has a culture and a type of player he recruits.  For a couple of years he strayed from that and it cost him.  The only problems O remember them having was the Kline incident.

You heard there were hoes involved? That spices things up.  :coffee:

• Haha 6

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am sure some of this goes on every where but I don't remember hearing about 5 guys getting suspended at the same time.  We all know the type of kids Sampson brought on, Crean had transfer because of idiots we had on the team.  There are rumors about Archie's crew as well.

It seems like Painter has a culture and a type of player he recruits.  For a couple of years he strayed from that and it cost him.  The only problems I remember them having was the Kline incident.

Trevion Williams had an alleged assault incident at a McDonalds this year over french fries, and Gillis had a DUI over the summer...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

The doom and gloom is killing me.  This game would have set us up nicely, but it's not the end of the world.

IU still is more likely than not to make the tournament, and, honestly, I'm not really sure that MSU is a tougher road opponent than Northwestern right now.  

Look at their last three games:

@MD: 65-63 win

@Rutgers: 84-63 loss

home against Wisconsin: 70-62 loss

They aren't lighting the scoreboard up, which makes them a much better matchup for us.  Even Northwestern is averaging more in the high 70's recently, and we just held them to 59 with basically 6 guys.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is just not breaking curfew that is the problem but it what they were doing while they were breaking curfew.  Do you think they just wanted to sight seeing and see Lake Shore drive.  If there is a curfew it is there for a reason and it should be respected.

I doubt theyd break curfew to go volunteer at the local food pantry. 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I hope the coaches took note of Parker Stewart's body language on the bench.  Absolutely unacceptable.  

The rumors have been that he is not bought in to what the team is about...he has been called a distraction in the locker room...He is not the only one who is rumored to have agendas other than team success...

I am sure that it is difficult to process grief and try to perform at a high level while also adjusting roles on the basketball court to where you are not featured, and I would love to see the coaching staff do a better job with utilizing him...

That said, team chemistry seems to have been an issue for about a decade now...seems like kids choose Bloomington for the following reasons:

- To Party
- To be featured on television and media for better exposure 
- To be celebrated by millions
- for financial and business connections

- but do they come to win? I know they would say they do...but as a first priority? the rumors have been consistent for over a decade now...prized recruits who spend no time in the gym....prioritizing a good time over excellent preparation....players who don't like each other because they view each other of competition and roadblocks to their personal goals...the culture is not great in Bloomington, and it coincides with Bloomington being featured as a party school destination by the likes of playboy etc...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John S said:

Baffling we beat PU and get taken out by NU, even though PGs out

three out of five players were playing out of position, every single player played more minutes than they are used to...we couldn't run any actions because the players didn't know their roles...they had a few hours to prepare...

Just missing a PG? who beat us last night? their point guard....

• Like 2

After all these years of mediocrity, our opponents still know what it means to play AGAINST Indiana (did you see the way Northwestern was acting after beating a team without six of it's top 11 players?) 

Why don't our guys know what it is to play FOR Indiana....not just playing hard, but playing FEARLESS....we have been afraid of the moment more often than not for seven straight years...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No, they are young adults.  Michael Durr is 23 for Pete's sake.  I had a college degree, a full time job, and was on my own and paying my own bills at 

I think calling them kids takes too much responsibility off of them.

No doubt. Stewart is also 23 and XJ is 22.

The Pacers just traded for a 21 year old PG who is in his second year in the NBA. 

They aren’t kids and they should be better examples for Bates and Lander

• Like 4