Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

I was just listening to Assembly Call and Jarod made a lot of interesting points about TJD. Basically, if you throw away all the cupcakes, we learn that TJD's offensive efficiency is not exactly stellar. Our Big Ten opponents know what he wants to do and where he wants to go. That said, he asks would TJD serve us better in more of a complimentary role where he's the second option? 

It's a legit question. Forcing him into being the first option has not looked good lately. The last 2 games I actually found myself wanting the outside shot from cold shooters rather than watch TJD force up another bad shot that doesn't make the defense work. 

There has been a constant that we've been tip toeing around in the last 3 years: a stagnant offense that primarily looks to play through TJD. I'm not saying TJD is the sole problem (he's talented as hell), but perhaps how TJD has been used is the problem. Is it a coincidence that we beat Purdue without him on the floor? 

I honestly think we may have had a better shot last night if we had XJ and no TJD. There's gotta be a way we can be more effective with him on the floor...especially when the old 'plan A' is blatantly blowing up in our faces. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I was just listening to Assembly Call and Jarod made a lot of interesting points about TJD. Basically, if you throw away all the cupcakes, we learn that TJD's offensive efficiency is not exactly stellar. Our Big Ten opponents know what he wants to do and where he wants to go. That said, he asks would TJD serve us better in more of a complimentary role where he's the second option? 

It's a legit question. Forcing him into being the first option has not looked good lately. The last 2 games I actually found myself wanting the outside shot from cold shooters rather than watch TJD force up another bad shot that doesn't make the defense work. 

There has been a constant that we've been tip toeing around in the last 3 years: a stagnant offense that primarily looks to play through TJD. I'm not saying TJD is the sole problem (he's talented as hell), but perhaps how TJD has been used is the problem. Is it a coincidence that we beat Purdue without him on the floor? 

I honestly think we may have had a better shot last night if we had XJ and no TJD. There's gotta be a way we can be more effective with him on the floor...especially when the old 'plan A' is blatantly blowing up in our faces. 

One thing that is missing is, before the Purdue game, he was injured.  We don't know the extent.  Stats have changed a little since then.  He might be grinding it out.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

One thing that is missing is, before the Purdue game, he was injured.  We don't know the extent.  Stats have changed a little since then.  He might be grinding it out.

The extent was, he told me he was getting shots to numb the pain because he couldn't walk. After 2 weeks lets hope the training staff is good enough to have him close to, if not 100%.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

The extent was, he told me he was getting shots to numb the pain because he couldn't walk. After 2 weeks lets hope the training staff is good enough to have him close to, if not 100%.

I hope it is good.  But, that doesnt sound great.  Unless you get true rest, it might play throughout the season.  Nagging injuries without rest can take a toll.  

2 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I hope it is good.  But, that doesnt sound great.  Unless you get true rest, it might play throughout the season.  Nagging injuries without rest can take a toll.  

I'm sure a lot of guys have those injuries this time of year. You get beat up in the Big Ten.

39 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

YESSS! put him in the short corner sometimes, slide him to the weak side block...let him finish the offense rather than start it...he can dunk the ball all night long off of our guards getting into the lane...as it is, there is no where to drive because we actually have more than one post player standing right where we want to go on the drive...This has been a problem since Crean left...

When was the last time that a college team was dominant BECAUSE of their back to the basketball big?

Edited by mchenry34
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

YESSS! put him in the short corner sometimes, slide him to the weak side block...let him finish the offense rather than start it...he can dunk the ball all night long off of our guards get into the lane...as it is there is no where to drive because we actually have more than one post player standing right where we want to go on the drive...This has been a problem since Crean left...

When was the last time that a college team was dominant BECAUSE of their back to the basketball big?

This is exactly why some of us saw the value in XJ's overall play. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This is exactly why some of us saw the value in XJ's overall play. 

100%. Getting into the lane and breaking down the defense is unquestionably a good thing for an offense. This isn't 1984 where you can run an offense that doesn't have a lot of dribble penetration, although I think we proved in 1981 having a guard like that has always been a difference maker in college basketball. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

100%. Getting into the lane and breaking down the defense is unquestionably a good thing for an offense. This isn't 1984 where you can run an offense that doesn't have a lot of dribble penetration, although I think we proved in 1981 having a guard like that has always been a difference maker in college basketball. 

It's been a guard's game for a while now. I have no interest in low post scorers moving forward. We can find most points down low by ducking in/offensive rebounding. 

Outside of that our post scoring should be done by dudes getting to the hoop off the bounce or a back cut. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I find it hard to believe people are still complaining about XJ on court play. He has been a top 3 player for us for a long time now.

We are still complaining about things with RMK, of course there are still people complaining about his play. 

I should have said. "this is exactly why some of us saw the value in XJ play from the start" 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Yes, 100%!  He's not Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing or even Cockburn. His strength is his quickness and athleticism, not his ability to over power people. He has added nothing new to his offensive game in 3 years. If he had the ability to get the ball 10-15 ft out, square up and hit a shot or two he could turn that into shot fakes n and-1's. Hell even if he had a little jump hook with the right hand. He doesnt have to be Tim Duncan, but give teams something else to think about.

But regardless of what he does or does not do well, our offense was much better and got us more open shots when he was out with early foul trouble.  We just have to have guus that can hit the shots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No doubt. Stewart is also 23 and XJ is 22.

The Pacers just traded for a 21 year old PG who is in his second year in the NBA. 

They aren’t kids and they should be better examples for Bates and Lander

The 22 year old should be a better example for the 20 year old? Bates and Lander did that s*** on their own. If 23 and 22 isn't a kid, neither is 19 or 20. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The 22 year old should be a better example for the 20 year old? Bates and Lander did that s*** on their own. If 23 and 22 isn't a kid, neither is 19 or 20. 

Exactly. I would call my 23 year old self a kid and that was 25 years ago. If it makes everyone feel better we can call them "young adults" but the point is still the they are immature and do stupid stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's been a guard's game for a while now. I have no interest in low post scorers moving forward. We can find most points down low by ducking in/offensive rebounding. 

Outside of that our post scoring should be done by dudes getting to the hoop off the bounce or a back cut. 

Walker Kessler is my ideal center moving forward. I don't think he ever gets the ball with his back to the basket; he just plays PnR and PnP, and is a great defender and rebounder. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Exactly. I would call my 23 year old self a kid and that was 25 years ago. If it makes everyone feel better we can call them "young adults" but the point is still the they are immature and do stupid stuff.

Oh I agree. I think it's ridiculous to "blame" PS and XJ more than TB and KL. 

• Like 1

In defense of TJD's development, I believe he is a better passer and ball handler, and he does have a counter move that he didn't two years ago, but he only goes to it once or twice a game...

that said, I am all for making the adjustment on offense so that not everything is going through him...it would be better to be balanced at least, and more than that, to be guard heavy in college basketball, as long as you have a big who can protect the rim defensively...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I'm not reading 11 pages but in case no one has said this....can we start Galloway now? As I've said a few times, I truly believe he is our second best all around player. TJD then Galloway then X. 

He's really good when the defenders aren't allowed to body block him from getting to the rim. How tf did he not shoot any FTs last night? 

• Like 1