Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

6 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

The walk on got a DWI for being the “designated drunk driver” for the lottery pick. If anything this proves my point. Banchero was smart enough to make someone else break the law so he didn’t have to. “Aiding & Abetting” a DWI? Yea right…Even if that were some nobody schmo like myself in the car, that charge is DOA. Nothing to see here. 

Still against the law. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

So it was curfew and not drug related according to Rabby.

Some person on the Assembly Call postgame chat mob said it was related to something they were doing on a video on instagram the night before that has since been removed. I have no idea if it is reliable. 

The fact is this will set the tone and establish which types of recruit who consider us.

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good point.  We are all adults. Let’s be honest, we don’t care what they are doing off the court.  I’ve never been playing with my kids and stop to think “I wonder what Parker” is doing right now.  Lol.  

My only concern is that they follow the team’s rules, and that they represent the school admirably.  It can really be a “no news is good news” kind of deal.  

A team curfew rule at their age seems reasonable. Lebron or Giannis may not need that rule but a 19 year old in college is still building his identity.  It’s a way of showing them a winning culture and the best way to perform optimally.  At age 25, they might be past that.  

I agree 100%. They're not adults, this isn't their job no matter how much people want it to be.

They're kids, even the older players on the team. It's completely reasonable to have a curfew on a road trip and completely reasonable to expect them to follow it. I love how Woody is handling this thus far. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Did they get a DWI? 

You said what you do on your own time shouldn't be a concern to your employer.  If you are on a business trip but it is after work you have a few drinks and get a DWI that still is a concern for your employer.  Those players broke the rules and should be punished harshly.  Also with NIL money it I'd their job since they ate making money

Edited by IU Scott

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You said what you fo on your own time shouldn't be a concern yo your employer.  If you are on a business trip but it is after work you have a few drinks and get a DWI that still is a concern for your employer.  Those players broke the rules and should be punished harshly.

Yes, if I break the law and endanger people in a vehicle that my company is paying for then my employer has a right to take action. And I'd likely be missing meetings the next day if I got arrested. That's an absurd analogy to what happened with the players though.

But if I got get drunk at the hotel bar or go to an orgy or anything else that you would deem to be sinful and immoral, it's none of their business if it's on my own time and doesn't impact anything work related. I'm not saying that to say the players shouldn't be punished; I'm saying the opposite. The players aren't employees and they aren't professionals. Comparing them to employees or professionals doesn't hold up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Some of these comments are incredibly hyperbolic and dramatic. These 5 guys broke rules which let to a disappointing loss from a winnable opportunity. Even still, that was a quad 1 loss for IU so resume-wise it’s not that bad. How about we wait and see and trust that the coaching staff knows what to do here?

giphy.gif.efaaae3d2ce5e1adbd6321a2abf2f9a9.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

The end may not be near, but making the Big Dance might be....

Maybe - I don't know how anyone could pretend to know that when we don't know how long the players will be out or how the team will respond. I do know if the tournament started today we would be safely in.

38 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Several comment

-I’ve said this before. These are not kids making “youthful “ mistakes. These are young men, and as such, need to be held accountable. To what degree depends on the transgression as well as CMW’’s judgement. Based on the state of the program, I don’t believe anyone should be shown the door yet, but I do believe second offenders should be on a short leash/ last chance status.

-I believe that it is not a coincidence that the three older players, maybe the one’s who most influenced these poor decisions, are all transfers from other programs and have not grown up in the IU culture. No clue what the bar level was at their previous schools, but I have to believe that it’s not a coincidence. 

- The problem may permeate the program more than just these 5. Hopefully, those issues can and will be handled internally. The last thing a new coaching staff needs is dealing with a media out looking for a “story “, or a bunch of fans and forum posters out with fire and pitchforks.

- Leadership on the team has been an issue, and I think last night was the first bit of evidence that we have a leader emerging. Trey Galloway can, and I believe will become that person.  I only was able to watch the first half, but what I saw was him being aggressive on the court, making plays, creating for himself. He did struggle with turnovers but he was put in a position he should’ve have been. As a coach’s kid, I believe he has the knowledge, training and discipline to assume a leadership role. His personality lends itself to being the guy who gets on his teammates when the need arises.

No one felt that this year was going to be easy. Maybe didn’t expect yesterday, but as someone else said, this is not without precedent. I feel completely confident that this staff will make the best decisions to move the program in the direction it needs to be headed 

It’s that the painkillers talking? You’re actually making sense today! 😆

JK….hope you are feeling well. 

31 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree 100%. They're not adults, this isn't their job no matter how much people want it to be.

They're kids, even the older players on the team. It's completely reasonable to have a curfew on a road trip and completely reasonable to expect them to follow it. I love how Woody is handling this thus far. 

No, they are young adults.  Michael Durr is 23 for Pete's sake.  I had a college degree, a full time job, and was on my own and paying my own bills at 23.

Are they fully mature?  Obviously not, but it isn't like these guys are all 15 year olds just making a goof.  Which is why I agree with the rest of your post.

I think calling them kids takes too much responsibility off of them.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 3

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

No, they are young adults.  Michael Durr is 23 for Pete's sake.  I had a college degree, a full time job, and was on my own and paying my own bills at 23.

Are they fully mature?  Obviously not, but it isn't like these guys are all 15 year olds just making a goof.

Cool, they're not independent. Age doesn't tell the entire story.

They're full-time college students that play on the basketball team, that's not the same as someone who has graduated at 23 and is paying all of their own bills. I think you know that. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They're full-time college students that play on the basketball team, that's not the same as someone who has graduated at 23 and is paying all of their own bills. I think you know that. 

Time to grow up!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We may have some differing levels of responsibility but a 23 year old is not a kid.  

Edit to add:  With the NIL rules in place, these are all basically semi-professional young adults.  Between scholarships, stipends, food set asides, and the things the University does to put them in touch with groups to help make money...this is very much a job for them now.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree that how Woodson handles this is the key.  He also needs to bring in kids who is smart enough not to do these stupid things.  If we keep having these problems with kids then it will start to hurt recruiting.

Before last night I was hopeful for this season and feeling positive about the direction of the program. After last night, I'm no longer hopeful for the season (I don't see this team recovering enough from this to win enough games to get us into the tournament) but am feeling even more positive about the direction of the program under this staff.

I was not planning on getting on the board today because I knew it would be full of "this kind of stuff shouldn't happen at IU" and "you never saw this under Knight" talk but I got sucked in just the same. This kind of stuff happens everywhere in college sports regardless of the team, coach, conference, division, etc. They are college kids and college kids do stupid things. Some coaches/programs turn a blind eye for the sake of winning (i.e. the coaches are motivated by trying to keep their job). I think the actions taken by our staff speak volumes here ultimately saying one win (and probably tournament bid) do not mean more to them than developing the character of these kids (teaching them to do less stupid things so they will be set up to better succeed in life). As a parent, that is the kind of staff I would want my kids to play for.

On the other side of that, fans ultimate really just care about the success of a program. We get upset about these kind of things mostly because it will impact how many games we win. If Sampson would have hung banner number 6, no one would be saying "I don't count that one because the kids smoked weed, missed curfew and cut class". If Crean would have hung banner number 6, no one would be saying "I don't count that one because he's a whack job that none of the Indiana high school coaches like". Instead, we would be throwing that banner in the face of the Purdue, Illinois, Kentucky fans and be looking for number 7. When programs are not winning, this "well, at least we do things the right way" mantra permeates a fanbase to make us feel better about not winning. Yes, there are lines that shouldn't be crossed by players/teams/coaches. I'm not advocating that fans have a "win at whatever the cost" mentality (although some do), I'm saying that when your team is winning, you have a whole lot more grace towards college kids doing stupid things. We tout Knight's teams as "doing things the right way" not so much because we have all this evidence that those players didn't do stupid things (just imagine if social media was a thing in the 70's and 80's) but more so because they won a ton.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We may have some differing levels of responsibility but a 23 year old is not a kid.  

Edit to add:  With the NIL rules in place, these are all basically semi-professional young adults.  Between scholarships, stipends, food set asides, and the things the University does to put them in touch with groups to help make money...this is very much a job for them now.

But if you aren't mature enough to look at it like that..  the opportunity can quickly be taken from you. 

13 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Agree to disagree. If we are categorizing them the way so many of you are trying then they shouldn't have a curfew - I don't think Woody would agree with you guys.

Do you think in any of his time coaching real pro athletes he suspended someone for being out late? 

Edited by KoB2011

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree to disagree. If we are categorizing them the way so many of you are trying then they shouldn't have a curfew - I don't think Woody would agree with you guys. I can guarantee he did give this pro athletes these type of curfews and didn't suspend real pros for being out late. 

I don’t know how Woodson ran the Hawks/Knicks, but I can tell you about a time I was on a road trip with the Doc Rivers Celtics. 

We landed in Philly and hopped on the team bus to the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel most of the players literally walked right off the bus and went directly into limos waiting to take them to Atlantic City. 

They didn't even go inside the hotel to check-in. 

I'm by no means saying that is ok for a college team or IU. Just building off your point that my above story is how adults get treated. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, if I break the law and endanger people in a vehicle that my company is paying for then my employer has a right to take action. And I'd likely be missing meetings the next day if I got arrested. That's an absurd analogy to what happened with the players though.

But if I got get drunk at the hotel bar or go to an orgy or anything else that you would deem to be sinful and immoral, it's none of their business if it's on my own time and doesn't impact anything work related. I'm not saying that to say the players shouldn't be punished; I'm saying the opposite. The players aren't employees and they aren't professionals. Comparing them to employees or professionals doesn't hold up. 

If they broke curfew, then that's impacting their "job," at least it is with respect to what CMW is setting for job requirements. I'm guessing they have to be up early for walkthroughs or other team related things, and in their boss's opinion, they aren't getting enough rest to function properly or whatever.

I agree with another poster that we shouldn't be speculating on drugs or other things since those are just rumors at this point (and I've been guilty of that myself in earlier posts), so I'm just going to leave it at that example, but CMW has rules in place for a reason, and if they're breaking those rules, then in his opinion, that's going to affect their performance.