2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Yes.  That's the one thing you and I agree on here.🤣  I'm thankful for a little help with all the Reds and Cubs fans on here, although if I wasn't a Cardinals fan, I'd probably root for the Reds and I don't hate the Cubs (that's easier with the dynasty talk dying down).

Albert is a really fun story though...it's like he just needed to come back home to get his mojo back.  I think the Cardinals use him a lot better than the Angels did. But I also think money aside, he just likes playing better in St. Louis.

I think I'd enjoy his story even if I wasn't a Cards fan.

How’d you become a Cards fan if you don’t mind me asking? My dad grew up in southern Illinois and passed his fandom on to me! 

This year that Pujols has had you honestly couldn’t have written it better IMO. Was always worried if he had a brutal year you know? But he squashed that notion quickly after the ASB. Maybe the HR Derby helped? Haha

6 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How’d you become a Cards fan if you don’t mind me asking? My dad grew up in southern Illinois and passed his fandom on to me! 

This year that Pujols has had you honestly couldn’t have written it better IMO. Was always worried if he had a brutal year you know? But he squashed that notion quickly after the ASB. Maybe the HR Derby helped? Haha

I had split fandom back in the '70's.  I liked the Reds probably better than the Cardinals because our Cub Scout troop went to a couple of games in Cincy and I liked the players of the big red machine...Bench, Rose, Morgan, Griffey, Foster, etc., but dad always liked the Cardinals and when they put together a great team in the early '80's, I was won over and have followed them ever since.  Lived pretty much 3 hours from both ballparks so the split fandom came very naturally.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Down 6-2 in the 5th to those Pirates. They play 4 at home vs the Pirates and 5@ the Cardinals 

The Reds might increase their chances of winning if they left Senzel on the bench.  I have had it with him and really don't understand why Bell continues to play him.

9 hours ago, rico said:

The Reds might increase their chances of winning if they left Senzel on the bench.  I have had it with him and really don't understand why Bell continues to play him.

Article in Cincinnati paper recently stating that the Reds see him as a "super utility" player.  Mgmt likes his versatility very much.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Listening to the Reds game and Jeff Brantley is getting fed up with Barrero. Barrero can't hit a breaking pitch and won't lay off the slider that is a foot outside 

They've got an abundance of ss prospects waiting, so unless some hitting instructor can assist the young man in the off-season he's going to find himself back in the minors or worse, I suspect.

Edited by jv1972iu

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

The Reds have no ability to develop their minor league players, it would seem.  The coaching these guys get seems pretty poor.  But I'm only going by my untrained eye...and the Reds record for about the last decade.     🙄

They were 83-79 last year and made the playoffs during the pandemic year but other than that it has been pretty bad

12 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

The Reds have no ability to develop their minor league players, it would seem.  The coaching these guys get seems pretty poor.  But I'm only going by my untrained eye...and the Reds record for about the last decade.     🙄

The Reds went in the toilet after they made the Griffey trade.  

As an indicator for how much my interest in the Reds has waned this year, I came to this thread to get the update from Scott as to whether or not they won last night.  I just didnt have the mindset to even Google 'Reds Score'.

I do need to start to pay attention to what else is going on in MLB.  I love October baseball no matter who is playing and I  would also like to be watching when Pujols hits #700.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

As an indicator for how much my interest in the Reds has waned this year, I came to this thread to get the update from Scott as to whether or not they won last night.  I just didnt have the mindset to even Google 'Reds Score'.

I do need to start to pay attention to what else is going on in MLB.  I love October baseball no matter who is playing and I  would also like to be watching when Pujols hits #700.

This Mets/Braves race is the one I keep my eye on. Imagine being 34 games over .500 and being a Wild Card. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

My belief is that Marge locked the franchise in the toilet after 1990 and threw away the key when she decided there was no need for scouts, a minor league system, player development etc.  That key has yet to be found.

Marge's "issues" aside, the Reds were competitive in the 90's for the most part.  I just point back to the Griffey trade as a point in time as Cincy has been horrible in this new century.