2023 Class Rankings and Discussion

KDB

54 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Why? 

Why what? JHS or Banks. I think Geronimo is better suited to come off the bench and he is what he is. I see Banks with a lot more upside and I actually expected him to be more part of the rotation this year. As for JHS I see him leaving and it seems like what I have heard on some podcast it is pretty much a forgone  conclusion.

Edited by IU Scott

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Why what? JHS or Banks. I think Geronimo is better suited to come off the bench and he is what he is. I see Banks with a lot more upside and I actually expected him to be more part of the rotation this year. As for JHS I see him leaving and it seems like what I have heard on some podcast it is pretty much a forgone  conclusion.

Why to both. 

Why would we be sure a guy predicted to go in the 20s is gone?

Why would Banks start at the 4 when he plays the 3 for us every time he is in?

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Why to both. 

Why would we be sure a guy predicted to go in the 20s is gone?

Why would Banks start at the 4 when he plays the 3 for us every time he is in?

As for JHS, it is what I hear when listening to different podcast and last week on Assembly Call they said they heard that JHS will leave after this year

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

As for JHS, it is what I hear when listening to different podcast and last week on Assembly Call they said they heard that JHS will leave after this year

That just sounds more like a guess than anything. It's fine to speculate that but I don't think we really have any info one way or another on JHS yet. 

JHS isn’t NBA bound IMO.  A solid showing in the BTT and NCAA may lock him in.  I see some sites with him not on the board and some with him as a second rounder that are more recent.  Is anyone seeing anything saying lottery or mid 1st?  If not I would think NIL money at IU as the star player would be worth another year to move into the high/mid of the first.  But again he could play his way there by the end of the season and as we all know the NBA draft is on potential so…

Edit: Well just found him 20th on ESPN as of the last update three days ago so yeah he gone.

Edited by iuthruandthru
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't want to completely derail this thread about JHS, but I think we all know at this point he is somewhere from late teens to late twenties in terms of draft prospects; but what we are missing is some statement from JHS at any point indicating he wanted to get to the NBA ASAP or even a quote from an insider.

Lot's of hunches, and I get them, but we've also seen guys come back from similar draft positions (or even higher draft positions) depending on what their priorities are. 

JHS has talent but still has a lot of room to develop (his shot, his defense, ability to take over a game, consistency). It is really up to him if he wants to develop that in the NBA or at IU next year. You can make a compelling case for both. His finish this year will be an important part of that answer.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

JHS isn’t NBA bound IMO.  A solid showing in the BTT and NCAA may lock him in.  I see some sites with him not on the board and some with him as a second rounder that are more recent.  Is anyone seeing anything saying lottery or mid 1st?  If not I would think NIL money at IU as the star player would be worth another year to move into the high/mid of the first.  But again he could play his way there by the end of the season and as we all know the NBA draft is on potential so…

Edit: Well just found him 20th on ESPN as of the last update three days ago so yeah he gone.

haha i liked the edit. I saw a few weeks ago he was projected early second rounder( low 30's), before he blew up (minus Maryland game). I can only imagine his stock has increased since. 

I dont think it to be 100% correlation, but we can almost assume if we end up having a good year with a nice tournament run, JHS would have much to do with that only to raise his draft value. So my assumption is that this will be a disappointing year to keep JHS or it will be a year to feel good about and not have JHS next year. 

• Like 1

Trying to see the big picture. If IU can land someone like JHS but only get him for one season then what happens? The easy answer is you replace him with another great player or you slide back down the rungs. But is that necessary?

Current elite teams add players like JHS and the next season they replace them with other great players because one season is all you are likely to get. I'm not sure IU is at the place where they annually replace great players with great players. It is more likely they land solid players and let them grow into big time players over time. If you happen to add a JHS type player the hope is you have enough solid guys that have developed to put around him and make a run.

The fact IU has no bigs lined up in 2023 is cause for concern. Portal? Maybe. Steal a recruit after a coaching change? Maybe. If not and you lose TJD, Race, X and JHS along with any possible transfers means you have to expect a step back. That's not a slight against the returning players but reality is you're not going to be at the same level as the group that is leaving without adding some truly top notch players.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Trying to see the big picture. If IU can land someone like JHS but only get him for one season then what happens? The easy answer is you replace him with another great player or you slide back down the rungs. But is that necessary?

Current elite teams add players like JHS and the next season they replace them with other great players because one season is all you are likely to get. I'm not sure IU is at the place where they annually replace great players with great players. It is more likely they land solid players and let them grow into big time players over time. If you happen to add a JHS type player the hope is you have enough solid guys that have developed to put around him and make a run.

The fact IU has no bigs lined up in 2023 is cause for concern. Portal? Maybe. Steal a recruit after a coaching change? Maybe. If not and you lose TJD, Race, X and JHS along with any possible transfers means you have to expect a step back. That's not a slight against the returning players but reality is you're not going to be at the same level as the group that is leaving without adding some truly top notch players.  

At his peak, RMK had his best teams on about a 5 year cycle. Won it all in '76,'81,'87 and probably should have in '92. Had a gap in the late 90's, then Davis led Knight's players back to the championship game in 2002.

Point being, we have never been a program that is consistently at the top every year. We have never strung together a run of consecutive Final Fours. CMW will find players and coach them to be good even after this year, but to expect a consistency we've never shown is probably not going to happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

At his peak, RMK had his best teams on about a 5 year cycle. Won it all in '76,'81,'87 and probably should have in '92. Had a gap in the late 90's, then Davis led Knight's players back to the championship game in 2002.

Point being, we have never been a program that is consistently at the top every year. We have never strung together a run of consecutive Final Fours. CMW will find players and coach them to be good even after this year, but to expect a consistency we've never shown is probably not going to happen.

I think without the portal you’d be absolutely right, but with the transfer portal I don’t see any reason why we can’t replace and move right along. I think CMW’s comments about him not coming here to rebuild speak to the optimism that he plans to reload, not rebuild next year. Hope I’m right!

• Like 8

IU better hit on the portal or convince some to switch after coaching changes. Look at the conference rosters. Not many have as many key pieces leaving to graduation. Granted, there could be a surprise here and there and you never know with transfers. Still, other team's have better roster balance as it stands today.

Some bigs are just juniors, incuding Edey and Dickinson.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...