5-star guard Boogie Fland Commits to Kentucky

16 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Is the plan for him to visit officially during HH? Gucci Mane? I like our chances here,  especially if Liam is coming off a commitment from the week before

If it gets that far.  I could see the kid saying enough already and committing sooner.  How many coaches visits do recruits usually put up with?

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

did all three teams have reps meet with Boogie last week?

Indiana and Alabama sent assistants last Wednesday. Afterward, Fland was quoted saying "For one of these schools to separate themselves they’d have to show more interest than the others." ... "I’m also going to be playing for the head coach so they need to be interested in me as well."

It would probably help for Woodson to get back there sooner than later.

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Indiana and Alabama sent assistants last Wednesday. Afterward, Fland was quoted saying "For one of these schools to separate themselves they’d have to show more interest than the others." ... "I’m also going to be playing for the head coach so they need to be interested in me as well."

Absolutely that's the signal being sent...show me love.

Woodson will send an equally strong signal by either visiting...or not.

I think UK would literally be the worst place for this kid to land, which probably means that's where he goes.  I wonder how many broken dreams have to come out of Lexington for the shine to wear off...

Edited by FKIM01

34 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I’d say the time is now! If Woodson would’ve went full court press from beginning it would be done already IMO! Each recruit is different and if this wasn’t known about Boogie then that’s on our staff for not figuring that out. Now Kentucky and Alabama have same chance to put full court press on. 

829E8746-CA68-45B0-90F9-6C4BCF346CFE.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I’d say the time is now! If Woodson would’ve went full court press from beginning it would be done already IMO! Each recruit is different and if this wasn’t known about Boogie then that’s on our staff for not figuring that out. Now Kentucky and Alabama have same chance to put full court press on. 

829E8746-CA68-45B0-90F9-6C4BCF346CFE.png

I agree with @DC2345. People were worried when Self visited Liam only to see that Woody went there later. I'm sure he will visit Boogie if / when needed. Don't forget his coaching clinic. I doubt the other coaches did that.

44 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ehh.. I'm not into begging them, and I don't think Woody will be either. Show them your pitch, execute the visit's small details, be good people, treat the kid/family the right way.... and hope you've done enough. 

I don’t think Woody putting in extra effort on a recruit is begging anyone. Everyone says they want big time recruits well this recruit is telling you what he prefers and if IU truly wants him then this is what needs to be done.

10 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I don’t think Woody putting in extra effort on a recruit is begging anyone. Everyone says they want big time recruits well this recruit is telling you what he prefers and if IU truly wants him then this is what needs to be done.

I don't think we need to worry about Woodson and staff putting in extra work, truthfully. What is in any of these recruiting tidbits isn't a drop in the bucket of what actually goes on behind the scenes, imo. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Woody will wait til the 2 used car salemen get it out of their systems, then schedule a trip...

If he needs to do so. Or he can tell Boogie to flip his TV on Oct 24th and watch JHS making shots and dishing to Lebron and AD. 1 year is what Woody did for JHS. Same can be done for Boogie. If the kid chooses elsewhere so be it but we don't need to be begging. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think we need to worry about Woodson and staff putting in extra work, truthfully. What is in any of these recruiting tidbits isn't a drop in the bucket of what actually goes on behind the scenes, imo. 

Oh I’m not saying they aren’t putting in extra effort at all because they have a system clearly and it typically works. All I’m saying is every recruit is different. This recruit just so happened to make a comment that he wants to feel extra love and his comments seem to make it seem like that hasn’t happened necessarily. But I absolutely agree with your points

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I agree with @DC2345. People were worried when Self visited Liam only to see that Woody went there later. I'm sure he will visit Boogie if / when needed. Don't forget his coaching clinic. I doubt the other coaches did that.

Definitely a fair point about the coaching clinic. I agree about Woody visiting when needed. My only complaint was they are typically very good at recruiting and should have known Boogie wanted to feel the love from head coach. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Definitely a fair point about the coaching clinic. I agree about Woody visiting when needed. My only complaint was they are typically very good at recruiting and should have known Boogie wanted to feel the love from head coach. 

I’m like 95% certain Cal and Oats spoke at the same clinic and conducted in-home visits just like Woody did. 

Fingers crossed we go at least 3 deep soon and show him we care more. It’s do or die time for us and those are 2 really tough schools to go up against. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PNWHoosier said:

I don't know if this will, but for the sake of clarity Woody did visit Boogie earlier in Sept.

Ya went separately more recently.

Woody is putting in the work.

I had a client last week acting like he was my only client.  I told my admin if he needs that much attention, maybe we're not for him.  I get the desire to "feel the love", but if that's what it takes, maybe the fit isn't right. 

Maybe Woody feels he needs that time to prepare his current team for the season.  I'm OK with that.  I'm starting to hate what recruiting has become.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I had a client last week acting like he was my only client.  I told my admin if he needs that much attention, maybe we're not for him.  I get the desire to "feel the love", but if that's what it takes, maybe the fit isn't right. 

Maybe Woody feels he needs that time to prepare his current team for the season.  I'm OK with that.  I'm starting to hate what recruiting has become.

Yep, I've "fired" many a customer and suggested a competitor to them. I love $$ but not at any cost for those I don't feel the fit. There's a difference between both parties going towards the same goal and one party being a whiney bitch. (not saying that Boogie is).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Yep, I've "fired" many a customer and suggested a competitor to them. I love $$ but not at any cost for those I don't feel the fit. There's a difference between both parties going towards the same goal and one party being a whiney bitch. (not saying that Boogie is).

I was usually on the other end. I always told my good vendors when they were having trouble and needed help that by me helping them succeed only insured they would help me succeed. My bosses didn’t always agree!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I think your point is spot on 

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Not you specifically, but I think some fans are reading too much into a few quotes. The kid said publicly what every recruit is saying: I know this relationship is for real when the head honcho is involved. Boogie didn't say anything like no other coaches should visit me or the head coach should be here every other week in person. 

He wants the decision maker involved--as it should be and as Woody is. 

People should know that Woody is involved with Boogie, Liam and other priority targets to the degree that all involved are happy with. Also, people should know this isn't a diva move by Boogie, Liam and others. These recruits are ultimately putting their career in Woodson's hands. They aren't asking for anything more than what all the other kids are asking. Finally, kids should feel empowered to ask for the entire staff's involvement. This is their life. Get to know all of the people you are placing trust in. 

• Like 3