5-star guard Boogie Fland Commits to Kentucky

44 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

He is still living off that few year run where he was getting 3 or 4 in the draft each year.  That hasn't happened in a couple years.  But that is what everyone remembers

Kind of like everyone remembers the Crean and Miller years thinking Woodson will get the same results 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

He is still living off that few year run where he was getting 3 or 4 in the draft each year.  That hasn't happened in a couple years.  But that is what everyone remembers

That's frustrating too.  When you get a roster full of McDonald's All-Americans, it's nothing impressive to get them drafted.  If people actually looked at expectations vs. results, he's not impressive at all.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

That's frustrating too.  When you get a roster full of McDonald's All-Americans, it's nothing impressive to get them drafted.  If people actually looked at expectations vs. results, he's not impressive at all.

i agree to a point.  I don't think he is a bad coach, i also don't think he is some savant either.  Did he cheat, who knows, almost all programs cheated to some extent.  I mean he has had a pretty decent run at kentucky, regardless of what anyone says.  his last 3 years have not been good though.  Who know what would have happened in 19-20 the year it got stopped.  

He made the elite 8 Seven times, final 4 Four times, and Championship game twice.  

With all that said, i understand why IU fans don't like him.  His past is shady and well, he won alot at Kentucky up until recently.  You don't get those results without at least some basketball knowledge between his ears, even with that much talent on a team.  The man can recruit for sure.  Probably should have won a couple more champoinships with the talent he had over the first 10 years.  One doesn't cut it.

Anywho, i just don't care enough about Kentucky basketball or Calipari to waste time hating him.

image.png.c18a2260040525fb705c18fbfc8df39b.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i agree to a point.  I don't think he is a bad coach, i also don't think he is some savant either.  Did he cheat, who knows, almost all programs cheated to some extent.  I mean he has had a pretty decent run at kentucky, regardless of what anyone says.  his last 3 years have not been good though.  Who know what would have happened in 19-20 the year it got stopped.  

He made the elite 8 Seven times, final 4 Four times, and Championship game twice.  

With all that said, i understand why IU fans don't like him.  His past is shady and well, he won alot at Kentucky up until recently.  You don't get those results without at least some basketball knowledge between his ears, even with that much talent on a team.  The man can recruit for sure.  Probably should have won a couple more champoinships with the talent he had over the first 10 years.  One doesn't cut it.

Anywho, i just don't care enough about Kentucky basketball or Calipari to waste time hating him.

His record at UMass (Final 4 vacated) and Memphis (Final 4 vacated) aren't squeaky clean either 

34 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I'm convinced he cheated.  A lot.

I'm equally convinced that his cheating gave him enough talent and unfair advantage to mask a lot of developmental and coaching deficiencies.  Now that the playing field has been leveled, you'll see his warts exposed.  Yes, he's still a great (salesman) recruiter, but the rest of his game is nothing special.  The NIL has reduced his advantage as a talent aggregator, but if he can find a new way to cheat and get an advantage, you better believe he will.  Pure scum.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm convinced he cheated.  A lot.

I'm equally convinced that his cheating gave him enough talent and unfair advantage to mask a lot of developmental and coaching deficiencies.  Now that the playing field has been leveled, you'll see his warts exposed.  Yes, he's still a great (salesman) recruiter, but the rest of his game is nothing special.  The NIL has reduced his advantage as a talent aggregator, but if he can find a new way to cheat and get an advantage, you better believe he will.  Pure scum.

Two vacated final fours was enough to convince you that he cheated a lot? 
lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Two vacated final fours was enough to convince you that he cheated a lot? 
lol 

If 2 were vacated then knowing the ncaa, that could mean he was caught cheating 4 or 5 times and not caught many times more than that. 

NCAA isn't exactly known for their stellar history at catching cheaters and then following through with more than a slap on the wrist. 

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am no defending him or his cheating.  I just think most of the P5 schools cheated to some extent one way or another.  He just got better results from it.  

With that being said, i will stop posting on this.  sorry

Hey, I'm fine with debate...it's all good.  I just happen to think that Cal's level of cheating far exceeded the small things most schools were probably guilty of and that had a lot to do with (1) the level of players he got and therefore (2) the level of success he enjoyed.

Absolutely fine if you see things differently.  I don't think he's much above average on in-game coaching or development since the playing field got leveled.  I'm not a big fan of how the NIL has changed things, but one thing it definitely did for the better was take away Cal's advantage of being able to pay to get players.

• Like 5

Is the issue is Cal a cheater or is the issue is he a good coach? I think they are two different subjects. Imo Cal does a really good job of bringing in talented players and getting them to give up their ego, play hard, and play together. Someone mentioned defense a week or so back and Cal absolutely is a good defensive coach. It is super tough to get freshman to learn and buy in to hard defense. What I don’t think he is good at is in game adjustments, drawing up plays out of time outs or just general in game coaching. But I do think he is a talented coach overall….and he recognizes talent. 

I think the issue he has in the portal environment is Cal has been known for years and years to pass over upperclassman and promise minutes to young freshman because of his recruiting promises and it’s more important to continue to build that pipeline of UK to pros over what is best for his program long term. Unless you are an absolute stud like Oscar and going to have a premium role when it comes to playing time at UK…the freshman are going to get the bulk of the minutes and time to develop…and so the upperclassman who aren’t a priority for Cal will get treated as such…and that’s a hard sell for portal kids…and it’s getting harder and harder to win with freshman alone.

Edited by dgambill

6 hours ago, KDB said:

Boogie arrived last night. Visit starts today. Everything I have read makes me believe we will have a real shot at landing him. Knock the visit out of the park!

Imo pg is the biggest reason we have struggled in the last 7-8 years. Would love to land a stud pg especially one to pair with Cupps we could be set on running the offense for the next 4 years.

• Like 2