NCAAF/National Scene

rico

14 minutes ago, rico said:

Tennessee?

Undefeated—Georgia, Michigan, TCU. 

One loss potential conference champ-USC

One loss not in conference championship game- Ohio State.

Let’s say all hell breaks loose and Georgia, Michigan, TCU and USC lose.

Ohio State would replace TCU. So you have UGA, UM, OSU In with one loss. That’s the only scenario I can see that UT is even in the conversation 

Edited by Steubenhoosier

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Undefeated—Georgia, Michigan, TCU. 

One loss potential conference champ-USC

One loss not in conference championship game- Ohio State.

Let’s say all hell breaks loose and Georgia, Michigan, TCU and USC lose.

Ohio State would replace TCU. So you have UGA, UM, OSU In with one loss. That’s the only scenario I can see that UT is even in the conversation 

No dice.  The Vols ain't getting in even if hell breaks lose.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Penix in DeBoer’s offense makes Bazelak look like the guy from the frat football league hardo, that swears had he avoided that sprained ankle in high school, he’d be playing D1.

It is really enjoyable and nauseating to watch at the same time.  I was at the Cincinnati game in Bloomington last year, and Penix was totally lost.  Based on what Penix has done this season, I have to put 99.9% of that on the IU coaching staff.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

It is really enjoyable and nauseating to watch at the same time.  I was at the Cincinnati game in Bloomington last year, and Penix was totally lost.  Based on what Penix has done this season, I have to put 99.9% of that on the IU coaching staff.  

Yeah...it's pretty obvious that DeBoer was the reason for Penix' success.  I thought he was finished after he left IU.  But back with DeBoer and behind a solid line...he's flourished.  

16 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Yeah...it's pretty obvious that DeBoer was the reason for Penix' success.  I thought he was finished after he left IU.  But back with DeBoer and behind a solid line...he's flourished.  

There's a lot of revisionist history going on here.

Penix's best year here was under Sheridan.

Coaching (and moreso the o-line) was a big problem last year, but just as big of a problem was that Penix was really not yet ready to come back last season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

There's a lot of revisionist history going on here.

Penix's best year here was under Sheridan.

Coaching (and moreso the o-line) was a big problem last year, but just as big of a problem was that Penix was really not yet ready to come back last season.

Okay...that's fine.  Where's Sheridan these days?  Just curious.

So best guess it's Georgia, Michigan, TCU, and Ohio St when new standings come out.

Will now come down to (barring conference title game losses) whether the committee thinks a 1 loss Ohio St team to overall #2 is better/worse than 1 loss USC team who lost to overall #15 Utah. 

Unless something crazy happens next weekend (TCU, USC losses) you just can't put Bama in over LSU/Tennessee because they were beaten by them both. You can't put LSU in with 3 losses. The loss at unranked South Carolina by UT is big enough you can't overlook it since it's their 2nd.

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So best guess it's Georgia, Michigan, TCU, and Ohio St when new standings come out.

Will now come down to (barring conference title game losses) whether the committee thinks a 1 loss Ohio St team to overall #2 is better/worse than 1 loss USC team who lost to overall #15 Utah. 

Unless something crazy happens next weekend (TCU, USC losses) you just can't put Bama in over LSU/Tennessee because they were beaten by them both. You can't put LSU in with 3 losses. The loss at unranked South Carolina by UT is big enough you can't overlook it since it's their 2nd.

If all goes as planned(lol) it will be Georgia, Michigan, TCU, and USC in the CFP.  That's my story and I am sticking to it....until chaos hits next week-end!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Penix in DeBoer’s offense makes Bazelak look like the guy from the frat football league hardo, that swears had he avoided that sprained ankle in high school, he’d be playing D1.

Bazelak looks like he should be in a slow pitch softball league not on a football field. Incompetent coaching kept him on the field for as long as he was. 

5 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Okay...that's fine.  Where's Sheridan these days?  Just curious.

You missed the point.

Deboer, while a great coach, isn't singularly responsible for Penix's success.

Last year Penix wasn't successful in large part because he wasn't ready to return. Sure, there are lots of other factors that contributed to his poor play that were outside his control, but most people overlook the fact that he wasn't playing much better than Bazelak has this year.

In 2020, though, he looked nearly as good as he does this year.

Regardless, it's eminently obvious at this point that IU needs a dual threat QB, or even a run first QB to be successful. We were rolling yesterday before Williams got hurt.

4 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

CBS is reporting that Fickell is expected to be named HC and the two sides are expected to finalize the deal today.

He turned down MSU a couple of years ago and now will take the UW job. Shod tell you what coaches think about MSU and your chances there. Everybody knows that at MSU you will always be second fiddle in the state of Michigan.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He turned down MSU a couple of years ago and now will take the UW job. Shod tell you what coaches think about MSU and your chances there. Everybody knows that at MSU you will always be second fiddle in the state of Michigan.

I think not wanting to coach Sparty goes deeper than playing 2nd fiddle to Michigan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Or maybe he didn’t want to inherit the mess that Dantonio left?  By mess I mean the legal issues that seem to follow that school.

2 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

You missed the point.

Deboer, while a great coach, isn't singularly responsible for Penix's success.

Last year Penix wasn't successful in large part because he wasn't ready to return. Sure, there are lots of other factors that contributed to his poor play that were outside his control, but most people overlook the fact that he wasn't playing much better than Bazelak has this year.

In 2020, though, he looked nearly as good as he does this year.

Regardless, it's eminently obvious at this point that IU needs a dual threat QB, or even a run first QB to be successful. We were rolling yesterday before Williams got hurt.

No, I did get your point.   😊  I wasn't remembering about Sheridan.  And I truly was curious as to where he is now.  Not being snarky.  😊