NCAAF/National Scene

rico

21 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Probably. 

Honestly, the idea of Purdue getting to hire a coach when their program is in a good spot could be a good thing for ya'll. 

I'd love for IU to have the opportunity to hire a football coach when we are selling something more than a total dumpster fire. 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have no clue why he would leave the cash cow B1G west job that he has barely clinging to the top rung of for a mid tier acc job other than nostalgia.  Or maybe Louisville's booster have deeper nil pockets?

Hoping to catch some UC or TCU lighting in a bottle. No team from the BIG west will ever make the playoffs, with 12 teams maybe but not likely. . Not saying UL will but probably a better chance there IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Hoping to catch some UC or TCU lighting in a bottle. No team from the BIG west will ever make the playoffs, with 12 teams maybe but not likely. . Not saying UL will but probably a better chance there IMO. 

Why couldn't a Purdue or Wisconsin go 11-1 and have a punchers chance to knock off MU or OSU in the B1G championship?  Probably easier to wait on Clemson to have a down year or 2 every 5 years, I guess. Toss up.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have no clue why he would leave the cash cow B1G west job that he has barely clinging to the top rung of for a mid tier acc job other than nostalgia.  Or maybe Louisville's booster have deeper nil pockets?

I think it’s mainly about being back home and closer to family. Which I wouldn’t blame him at all for. Family is always important. 

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Why couldn't a Purdue or Wisconsin go 11-1 and have a punchers chance to knock off MU or OSU in the B1G championship?  Probably easier to wait on Clemson to have a down year or 2 every 5 years, I guess. Toss up.  

After USC and UCLA added and they realign I just dont see PU or anyone honestly not name Michigan or OSU having a 1 loss season. Yes it  can happen but I am not confident. I think Clemson is 1 more non elite QB from going back to a fringe top 25 team. 

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Has Brohm actually officially turned down UofL in the past?

I thought he had the chance before.

Weird on Satterfield's part to take a step back.  

I know they wanted him a few years back and who knows if it was ever “official” but yeah I think he did. Their AD was in a mess and he felt like he needed to stay at Purdue longer to help rebuild. He’s been here 6 years now, his parents are getting older, and it’s probably the best time for him to jump if he’s going to do it. If he were from Florida for example, this wouldn’t even be a discussion. But his ties to Louisville are substantial. 

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

After USC and UCLA added and they realign I just dont see PU or anyone honestly not name Michigan or OSU having a 1 loss season. Yes it  can happen but I am not confident. I think Clemson is 1 more non elite QB from going back to a fringe top 25 team. 

Probably true on the one loss even without adding USC.  

Now Clemson has posted 5 straight top 10 classes.  They are one elite qb from being top 3 again.  They are much closer to top top 5, especially given their conference,  than fringe 25.  And with their qb on the way out, they will not be short of top options.  

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Probably true on the one loss even without adding USC.  

Now Clemson has posted 5 straight top 10 classes.  They are one elite qb from being top 3 again.  They are much closer to top top 5, especially given their conference,  than fringe 25.  And with their qb on the way out, they will not be short of top options.  

I agree with that. I just wonder if the they land the next Watson or Lawrence. Fringe 25 probably a little too far for me to go but I don't think Clemson wins another title, just me thoughts. 

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree with that. I just wonder if the they land the next Watson or Lawrence. Fringe 25 probably a little too far for me to go but I don't think Clemson wins another title, just me thoughts. 

I think they are probably best positioned to be like Gonzaga basketball and always have a #1 seed but truly not be the best team.

I remember they were decimated by the draft after they won and the qb play has left a lot to be desired.  Evidently they already have his replacement.   I guess what I'm saying is, I think they will continue to have a seat at the table and probably have a bye game in the playoffs more often than not.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think they are probably best positioned to be like Gonzaga basketball and always have a #1 seed but truly not be the best team.

I remember they were decimated by the draft after they won and the qb play has left a lot to be desired.  Evidently they already have his replacement.   I guess what I'm saying is, I think they will continue to have a seat at the table and probably have a bye game in the playoffs more often than not.  

Great points. At some point they have to join the SEC right?? 

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

That's got to be the multi million dollar question for any coach looking at an acc job.  

I think Clemson to the SEC and that clears a path for UL to be the non BIG SEC representative most years when it goes to 12. With 12 teams in the playoffs I think the BIG and SEC get at least half each year.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think Clemson to the SEC and that clears a path for UL to be the non BIG SEC representative most years when it goes to 12. With 12 teams in the playoffs I think the BIG and SEC get at least half each year.  

But does playoff expansion slow down the conference realignment and expansion?  Acc champ is pretty much guaranteed a seat right?

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

But does playoff expansion slow down the conference realignment and expansion?  Acc champ is pretty much guaranteed a seat right?

Listening to Paul Finebaum last week he things ND and 3 from the PAC 12 to the Big and the best of the rest including Clemson to the SEC then let the rest figure it out. Guessed that 5 to 8 from those 2 every year and then the ACC winner, Pac 12 and Big 12 or whatever combo of those and then everyone else for the last couple of spots. Expanding to 12 in his opinion moves ND and Clemson into the BIG and SEC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Brohm might want to look at Kenny Payne and the basketball program as an indicator that coming home isn't always as glorious as it seems.

Fair point. Unlike Payne (I think?) Brohm is set for life financially but if things don’t go well, that could be extremely awkward if they try to run him out of town if he doesn’t win enough for their liking. 

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Honestly, the idea of Purdue getting to hire a coach when their program is in a good spot could be a good thing for ya'll. 

I'd love for IU to have the opportunity to hire a football coach when we are selling something more than a total dumpster fire. 

You hit the nail on the head sir. Brohm gave us 6 years and look at where he has the program now versus when he inherited it. I’d want Helton from WKU if I could choose the next coach.