NCAAF/National Scene

rico

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Serious question why should he not be able to help recruit 

Because to me, that opens some serious doors for ppl.... I mean, why can't you just hire an "intern" at any point then just to help recruit one specific player or whatever. 

We should hire Carmelo for a day or two and take him to some in home visits. Pay him 100K, come to some visits with us and later on we will just say you aren't a intern any more. Idk seems fairly sketchy to me.. obviously Purdue isn't doing anything wrong, smart by them, I just don't think it should be allowed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Because to me, that opens some serious doors for ppl.... I mean, why can't you just hire an "intern" at any point then just to help recruit one specific player or whatever. 

We should hire Carmelo for a day or two and take him to some in home visits. Pay him 100K, come to some visits with us and later on we will just say you aren't a intern any more. Idk seems fairly sketchy to me.. obviously Purdue isn't doing anything wrong, smart by them, I just don't think it should be allowed. 

Is intern and interim the same thing?

But heck yes, loop hole.   Let's do it.  Gotta blow 80 million dollar somehow.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Serious question why should he not be able to help recruit 

Isn’t he a head of one of their NIL organizations?

If so, that is basically breaking the main NIL rule. 

I’d also add this opens some doors. I think that is what @btownqb is talking about. Next time a coach leaves why not appoint Anthony Thompson as an intern and let him recruit during the search?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

When the championship field is expanded, I think it will be the death of many bowls.  

If there is money to be made, as in as much money as they make at these things... I don't think so. Or I would say more like "some bowls" but not "many". 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

5 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Isn’t he a head of one of their NIL organizations?

If so, that is basically breaking the main NIL rule. 

I’d also add this opens some doors. I think that is what @btownqb is talking about. Next time a coach leaves why not appoint Anthony Thompson as an intern and let him recruit during the search?

I agree with all of that and get it, but how different is it than D Wade stopping by when recruits are are here of LBJ and Melo just happening to have a conversation with our recruits. I can tell you for sure that many current players and those that we are recruiting have talked to several guys that are NBA All Stars that Woody has on speed dial. They are doing it for free. 

Not one recruit would know who AT is probably only player on our team that would is Race because his Dad played against AT.  I see where you guys are coming from.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They should go ahead and cancel most of the bowl games because the players and coaches don't care about them.

It's getting ridiculous. What about supporting the team that helped get you recognized and helping them win a bowl. It kinda reminds me of how bad the NFL All Star game got. The players were out there mostly playing at 50% and avoiding hard contact......

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't buy that the bowls matter any less than they ever mattered. The only thing that is taking away from the bowls are the players sitting out. I am just as entertained by these bowls as I have ever been. 

There are 42 games. I can't argue that CFB fans don't enjoy watching them, but it's essentially a non conference game at a neutral site. You might as well just allow anyone who wants to play in one, play. The "bowl" itself is pretty meaningless. But I can't disagree that 90% of them are more meaningless than they were before.

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

There are 42 games. I can't argue that CFB fans don't enjoy watching them, but it's essentially a non conference game at a neutral site. You might as well just allow anyone who wants to play in one, play. The "bowl" itself is pretty meaningless. But I can't disagree that 90% of them are more meaningless than they were before.

The bowl was always meaningless then, imo. You play to win, that's the prize. I don't disagree that is a non conference game at a neutral site. But, again, it was always that, imo. 

I mean.. so what you didn't get the date the hottest girl in school... there are still some "fun" 8s and 9s in this world. 

The whole myth that these bowls don't matter just confuses me. Of course they matter. Any competition matters, if you're a competitor. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I use to watch about every bowl when it was as lime 12-15 because they were matchups with two good teams.  Today about 85% of the games are played by teams that nobody cares about.  

As mentioned, this is false. Most bowl games viewership dwarfs most regular season CBB games. 

You can still pick 12-15 bowls that you prefer to watch. I will watch probably 70-80% of the bowls. My wife will probably watch that % at least, my wife won't watch basketball unless IU men or IU women are on. 

There really isn't a good argument for less bowls. 

• Like 1

"13 games for football teams are just too much for people to handle. Way too many bowls, too many that are meaningless".... 

Indiana plays Jackson St, Elon, Kennesaw St, Bethune Cookman, Morehead St, Little Rock, Miami of OH in basketball.... cmon now. You have to see the irony. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Wait, who makes money? 

Many schools lose money because they have a ticket allotment they are forced to fill. What fanbase wants to travel to Biloxi on a December night? 

I would travel to Biloxi any chance I got... 

Who makes money? ESPN, ABC, etc, of course. 

And do they really lose money when they are given 80-100 million dollars a year in TV revenue to begin with? 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would travel to Biloxi any chance I got... 

Who makes money? ESPN, ABC, etc, of course. 

And do they really lose money when they are given 80-100 million dollars a year in TV revenue to begin with? 

Your comment was that "they" make a lot of money from the bowl games. YOu didn't specify who "they" were. Yes, of course the networks make tons of money from these games. The schools, not so much. 

Okay, maybe Biloxi was a bad example.  How about Frisco, Texas?  Conway, S. Carolina? Birmingham?

Lots of places that would only be attractive to the die-hard fan. 

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Your comment was that "they" make a lot of money from the bowl games. YOu didn't specify who "they" were. Yes, of course the networks make tons of money from these games. The schools, not so much. 

Okay, maybe Biloxi was a bad example.  How about Frisco, Texas?  Conway, S. Carolina? Birmingham?

Lots of places that would only be attractive to the die-hard fan. 

Whoever makes the decisions to have 40 some bowl games makes money. What schools lose in "the cost to go to a bowl game" isn't a drop in a bucket compared to their TV contract money, sponsorships, and donations. So sure, that might lose a little going to the bowl game... they get it back in bunches. 

Bowl games have better viewership than the vast majority of CBB reg season games and NBA games---- which is the viewing audience they are competing with, for the most part. 

Do you think Indiana will make money on the trip to KU this weekend? Nope, or at least not by your definition.  

PS-- I love the state of MS, for a multitude, so I couldn't type in quick enough ... "I'd love to go to Biloxi" lol 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Whoever makes the decisions to have 40 some bowl games makes money. What schools lose in "the cost to go to a bowl game" isn't a drop in a bucket compared to their TV contract money, sponsorships, and donations. So sure, that might lose a little going to the bowl game... they get it back in bunches. 

Bowl games have better viewership than the vast majority of CBB reg season games and NBA games---- which is the viewing audience they are competing with, for the most part. 

Do you think Indiana will make money on the trip to KU this weekend? Nope, or at least not by your definition.  

PS-- I love the state of MS, for a multitude, so I couldn't type in quick enough ... "I'd love to go to Biloxi" lol 

Good ol' Laurel, MS. My wife can't get enough of it on HGTV