NCAAF/National Scene

rico

20 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

One of my really good friends brother-in-law who was a former Indiana, Tennessee and I believe a Michigan assistant coach had a massive stroke a year ago right after retiring.

He is struggling mightily and is currently in assisted living getting rehab.

Prayers and condolences to the Leach family and friends.

Mike DeBord. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think they said Leach had a heart issue.  Someone said heart attack.  Either way, devastating.  My MIL just got moved yesterday into an intensive rehab.  She's had a rough road, starting with an aneurism and then a stroke during brain surgery to remove an arterial malformation.  She's walking with assistance, brushing her teeth.  Talking ok, can still read.  Definitely praying for those hurting.  

Keeping her and your family in prayers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting one to say the least. I know of nothing about him other than he turned Illinois D around pretty quick....but how much of that was playing in the West? 

The Purdue fans I know either aren't impressed or aren't sure what to think. Purdue Athletics seems to be trying pretty hard to sell this hire with phrases like "Coordinator of the Year" (which I had never heard of until now) and "fastest rising young coach" (what does this even mean?). 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The Purdue fans I know either aren't impressed or aren't sure what to think. Purdue Athletics seems to be trying pretty hard to sell this hire with phrases like "Coordinator of the Year" (which I had never heard of until now) and "fastest rising young coach" (what does this even mean?). 

I think a lot of us expected a legit current P5 coach which probably wasn’t realistic. I think we could’ve landed a guy like Helton but Bobinski preferred Walters. I think what’ll be key is who he hires for his coordinators. But a 36-year-old should be able to recruit well one would expect. 

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Mike got his start coaching at little old South Decatur high school. 

He is from Muncie, Indiana graduating from Wes-Del High School. Prayers to him and his family. You just never know when something tragic is going to happen. Last Friday I went to Grand Rapids to watch my niece run a 5,000 meter race for the University of Indianapolis. On the way up I started thinking about my brother Tim, who would of been her Grandfather. 

In October 2014 my brother (Tim) went to watch his Granddaughter run a cross country race for Franklin Central High School. Right before the race my brother had a massive heart attack and died. I thought to myself the last time a Guy watched my niece run they died and I prayed that history wouldn't repeat itself. Makes you wonder sometimes.  

• Sad 3

My favorite and first video I ever watched of Mike Leach was the video of him going nuts on his team after a game... he was direct and didn't mess around about the expectations and the seriousness of what high level D1 football is... 

I loved this. 

But... that wasn't HIS best side... his funny, comedy side was truly the best. Kind down today because of his loss, not going to lie. You guys should try and read some of the stories that are coming out of the woodwork on Twitter. FUNNY STUFF. 

Definitely a guy I looked up to. Serious, but could still have fun. I think as a coach and teacher that's an excellent quality. RIP Coach Leach. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

My favorite and first video I ever watched of Mike Leach was the video of him going nuts on his team after a game... he was direct and didn't mess around about the expectations and the seriousness of what high level D1 football is... 

I loved this. 

But... that wasn't HIS best side... his funny, comedy side was truly the best. Kind down today because of his loss, not going to lie. You guys should try and read some of the stories that are coming out of the woodwork on Twitter. FUNNY STUFF. 

Definitely a guy I looked up to. Serious, but could still have fun. I think as a coach and teacher that's an excellent quality. RIP Coach Leach. 

Probably my favorite clip of him. "Everybody wanted to win the football game, but nobody wanted to play the football game"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

The Purdue fans I know expected Bret Bielema.

I don't know if any of  you folks do confidence pools for bowl season....but what a headache. Between portal, opting out for draft,etc....I just did a rough draft and realized I had Bama only at a 13 and South Alabama at a 33. Crazy crazy season. Bowls used to be so magical. Now we've watered them down so much with the exception of maybe 8-9? 

41 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

If anyone wants some easy money, hammer the LSU versus Purdue line lol. Just announced that AOC isn’t playing and Charlie Jones isn’t either. I think it’s +14 right now. 

Durham too it appears. Haven’t seen where Jones opted out but you would know better than me.