NIL, the AD, and where does the line get drawn (Hoosier Hysterics)

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Can’t stand Ohio State. Most entitled fans and program on the planet. 

primarily the reason I became 🤢 a fan (strong word) root for... hate Michigan football less. They beat OSU. 

I was talking with a coworker who is a HUGE Michigan fan. He said Michigan used an aircraft called Poseidon, instead of a typical fighter jet, for the OSU flyover pregame. Poseidons are spy aircrafts.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

primarily the reason I became 🤢 a fan (strong word) root for... hate Michigan football less. They beat OSU. 

I was talking with a coworker who is a HUGE Michigan fan. He said Michigan used an aircraft called Poseidon, instead of a typical fighter jet, for the OSU flyover pregame. Poseidons are spy aircrafts.

They replaced the old Lockheed P3s (we always called those "Will Nots" because they had that dingleberry thing going on astern 🙂)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the pros, at least there is motivation to perform for their next contract. That doesn't really exist with the NIL. It's such a catch 22 now.

The best players demand the money. The good hungry players will eventually transfer and get the money. Loyalty to a school/coach is rare. I would hate to try and navigate that as a college coach.

Guess that's why I find myself way more invested in the NFL these days. College basketball and football are completely flawed and I don't see it getting fixed.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

In the pros, at least there is motivation to perform for their next contract. That doesn't really exist with the NIL. It's such a catch 22 now.

The best players demand the money. The good hungry players will eventually transfer and get the money. Loyalty to a school/coach is rare. I would hate to try and navigate that as a college coach.

Guess that's why I find myself way more invested in the NFL these days. College basketball and football are completely flawed and I don't see it getting fixed.

Coach Sanders at CU says everyone wants a bag now, not some but all want that bag.

6 hours ago, Indykev said:

Coach Sanders at CU says everyone wants a bag now, not some but all want that bag.

Why wouldn't they?  Everyone on a pro team gets paid and this isn't true NIL where companies are reaching out for them to do advertising.  This is almost all just alumni collectives acting as cash conduits from alums to players.

Everybody seems to think this lasts forever, maybe it does.  I have to say that this is all becoming less entertaining for me.  We aren't winning, you don't see teams grow, and the effort just isn't there like it has been in the past.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Fla. in trouble with the NCAA for not honoring a 4 year 12 million dollar NIL deal with a QB they released and IU is bragging about adding $2 million to their NIL to be competitive....LMAO

I get what you’re saying, but that aside, I don’t even understand the NCAA involvement in this

“Rashada bailed on Florida after the Gator Collective — an independent fundraising group that’s loosely tied to the university and pays student-athletes for use of their name, image and likeness — failed to honor a multiyear deal that was signed by both sides.”

11 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I get what you’re saying, but that aside, I don’t even understand the NCAA involvement in this

“Rashada bailed on Florida after the Gator Collective — an independent fundraising group that’s loosely tied to the university and pays student-athletes for use of their name, image and likeness — failed to honor a multiyear deal that was signed by both sides.”

Not only that, why is Florida involved?  The collectives are supposed to be separate from the schools.  The NCAA and the institution have nothing in that.  The kid would have to get himself a lawyer and sue the collective for breach of contract. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2024 at 8:42 AM, IUFLA said:

They replaced the old Lockheed P3s (we always called those "Will Nots" because they had that dingleberry thing going on astern 🙂)

were you Navy.  I was in VFA-151 and worked on F18s in the mid to late 90s in California.  But i remember the ole p3 with a belly full of anit sub sonar things i believe

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Reacher said:

might just get me a gabe cubs breakfast club shirt.  Like the heather Red and he is a good kid

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

were you Navy.  I was in VFA-151 and worked on F18s in the mid to late 90s in California.  But i remember the ole p3 with a belly full of anit sub sonar things i believe

No, USAF... Air traffic controller...

Yeah, they'd drop the little buoys and do their stuff... I use to work the ASCIET every year down at Eglin AFB in the 90s... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I wonder what the NIL budget is for the following teams that are ahead of IU in the NET rankings:

Drake, James Madison, Bradley, Samford, Richmond, St Bonaventure, UC Irvine, North Texas, LA Tech, Appalachian St, George Mason, Akron, UMass & Charlotte

Might be able to combine them all to equal IU.  

• 4 weeks later...

With Saban going on his soapbox yesterday crying about NIL stuff it got me thinking. Besides the potential revenue sharing ideas that have been floated....and maybe revenue sharing if the teams make the tourney,etc....what if the NCAA went the opposite to try and corral the portal. Offer some figure where if a kid stays years with same team, graduates they are eligible for some bonus? Have it jointly paid by school collectives and the billions the NCAA has in their warchest.

Now the amount has to be substantial enough to make them stay and maybe that would be a deterrent from kids job hopping. 

• Like 2