Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Would McRobbie have bought off on hiring a "Knight Guy?"

I think Glass would have...

I think in that case all that would have mattered to him is if the boxes were checked.

Better late than never though.  CMW isn't just a Knight guy but the right guy. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Yeah.  Yeah I am.  lol

Enjoy it!

Lord knows there were so many opposing fans that LOVED and RELISHED Indiana going through its 'dark' period over the last 20+ years (and especially the CAM period). We were repeatedly kicked while we were down and the haters never relented in taking shots at us.

I, for one, will not shed a tear over tOSU's struggles. Should Wisconsin's program fall in a pit of eternal despair, I might throw a party and celebrate.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think in that case all that would have mattered to him is if the boxes were checked.

Better late than never though.  CMW isn't just a Knight guy but the right guy. 

I don't remember how far back it was that anyone associated with RMK was "verboten" but Brand for sure, and I remember some "insiders" saying anything concerning Coach Knight wouldn't happen under Herbert...

Didn't know if that extended through McRobbie... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think he will...But a lot of them are right...when they had him micced up a couple of weeks back, and even last night when they went into the huddle, he didn't mention a word about strategy...Just cliche cheerleader stuff...

That's a surprise.  I always assumed he was pretty good at the XO stuff...

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Holtmann appears to be at the proverbial crossroads in his own career. Perceived good coaches usually get 2 cracks at other P5 programs....but hardly ever 3. He needs to think is it better to be fired at Ohio St this year or next.....or would it better to resign, offer up some bs statement and head to South Bend while at least appearing to preserve his reputation?

We see it so many times. Coaches jump for the big jobs. They fail miserably like Archie, Lickliter, Groce and plenty others.....and after being fired they are sent to coaching purgatory. 

I guess my point is this just isn't an Ohio St decision. Holtmann knows the game as well. At least I think he does.

Can't help but think back to the career moves that Holtmann made to get this job. He was head coach at Gardner-Webb where his 3rd team was his only +.500 team. Might have been a coach on the rise had he stayed, but instead he leaves to take an assistant job at Butler. Then Brandon Miller ends up leaving coaching and Holtmann is named head coach. Was that planned? Did he have some insight there? Miller had a bad year but that Butler program still had a lot of momentum from Stevens and had just moved to the Big East. He has 3 decent seasons there and then Ohio St hires him. His first season in Columbus he has Keita Bates-Diop explode with a phenomenal season after missing most of the previous season with injuries. Hard to tell how good of a coach he really is.

6 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Could be a cautionary tale of having a good chunk of your roster coming in via the transfer portal. It’ll be interesting to see how that works long-term especially at a place like Illinois because it seems Underwood has really embraced that. 

TBD as far as how much "embracing" there is here. I think Underwood does like xfers but really would rather have the old model where they had to sit out a season. He has show a willingness to get talent from lots of sources, JC, xfer, international as well as traditional HS. IMO programs like Purdue that take very few transfers will become the outliers.

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I feel like similar to Illinois, do fans eventually get restless with lack of making it to the second weekend of the tournament?

Of course fans will get restless, at Illinois or any other program.

Edited by BruceDouglas
  • Like 2