Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, Eleven Warriors is pretty hysterical right now...

From what I read, they'd own Holtmann 20 million if they fired him...

I didn't think we'd pay a big fee to let Archie go, but I had another think coming...And I'd say a big football money school has deeper pockets and some big time donors that just might scrape up the cash...

I am starting to wonder if Holtmann makes it until the end of the season?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rico said:

I am starting to wonder if Holtmann makes it until the end of the season?

I think he will...But a lot of them are right...when they had him micced up a couple of weeks back, and even last night when they went into the huddle, he didn't mention a word about strategy...Just cliche cheerleader stuff...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

NW was not on my list of teams we would have to be competing with for a double bye…but here we are. NW and their backcourt look legit. 

Absolutely they do. They are a very solid basketball team and I love Brooks Barnhizer. Loved him in HS. NW is firmly in the tourney, currently, with their play in conference. Their only losses OOC are to PItt+Auburn, now they didn't play anybody else, but still.. no bad losses. 

I've always thought Collins was a well-above average coach. NW is lucky to have him. 

Notre Dame, imo, should look hard at Collins. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I didn't think we'd pay a big fee to let Archie go, but I had another think coming...And I'd say a big football money school has deeper pockets and some big time donors that just might scrape up the cash...

My guess is that $20M would be offset by the $ he would receive from new coaching gig. Either way though I don't see Holtmann surviving this. I mean they just keep losing plus have Sparty at home, at Iowa, at Purdue coming up.

Only thing that could save Holtmann is his next recruiting class. If not...time for us to take a peak at a few of those guys.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think it would be stupid for OSU to fire CH. 

Agree. They have been competitive, they just clearly have some chemistry issues. Four of their first six rotation players are new this year and it just hasn't meshed well. Still all of their B1G losses, except to IU, have been by single digits. They aren't getting blown out. 

• Like 1

Holtmann appears to be at the proverbial crossroads in his own career. Perceived good coaches usually get 2 cracks at other P5 programs....but hardly ever 3. He needs to think is it better to be fired at Ohio St this year or next.....or would it better to resign, offer up some bs statement and head to South Bend while at least appearing to preserve his reputation?

We see it so many times. Coaches jump for the big jobs. They fail miserably like Archie, Lickliter, Groce and plenty others.....and after being fired they are sent to coaching purgatory. 

I guess my point is this just isn't an Ohio St decision. Holtmann knows the game as well. At least I think he does.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Agree. They have been competitive, they just clearly have some chemistry issues. Four of their first six rotation players are new this year and it just hasn't meshed well. Still all of their B1G losses, except to IU, have been by single digits. They aren't getting blown out. 

Could be a cautionary tale of having a good chunk of your roster coming in via the transfer portal. It’ll be interesting to see how that works long-term especially at a place like Illinois because it seems Underwood has really embraced that. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I think it would be stupid for OSU to fire CH. 

I'm on the fence (and really don't care one way or the other) but I'd appreciate hearing your opinion as to why... I mean I understand the buyout...But it seems he's lost the team at this point...And that's always a dangerous place to be for a leader...

BTW, just for reference, Holtmann is 61-50 (55%) in the Big 10 over his tenure (5+ years)

Edited by IUFLA

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm on the fence (and really don't care one way or the other) but I'd appreciate hearing your opinion as to why... I mean I understand the buyout...But it seems he's lost the team at this point...And that's always a dangerous place to be for a leader...

BTW, just for reference, Holtmann is 61-50 (55%) in the Big 10 over his tenure (5+ years)

So.. he was 48-30 coming into the year?  

That'd be my answer.  

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So.. he was 48-30 coming into the year?  

That'd be my answer.  

Well, 58-40 actually...And that's not all that impressive...

He's had pretty good recruiting classes, and has another on (ranked 2nd in the Big 10)...

I know if you gauge the temp of their main message boards, the fans are ready to move on...But Gene Smith will probably give him another year...

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I don’t know.  Do any of their big pockets care enough?  I mean, spring practice is about to start, so that’ll take their headlines whether their basketball team is #1 in the country or last in the Big 10.

Edited by IUJoe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Well, 58-40 actually...And that's not all that impressive...

He's had pretty good recruiting classes, and has another on (ranked 2nd in the Big 10)...

I know if you gauge the temp of their main message boards, the fans are ready to move on...But Gene Smith will probably give him another year...

Yeah.  Real busy today, so apparently that distracted my ability to do math.  

60% winning % in conference is pretty good. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Could be a cautionary tale of having a good chunk of your roster coming in via the transfer portal. It’ll be interesting to see how that works long-term especially at a place like Illinois because it seems Underwood has really embraced that. 

Three transfers, 5 freshmen (including the starting backcourt), Sueing missed all last year and Key has been playing with injuries. That’s a lot to fit together. 

50 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I feel like similar to Illinois, do fans eventually get restless with lack of making it to the second weekend of the tournament?

Edited by Stlboiler23

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

How could you be on the fence about firing Holtman when you still thought Archie deserved a 5th year. Holtman had made the tournament every year as a power 5 coach

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

I don’t know.  Do any of their big pockets care enough.  I mean, spring practice is about to start, so that’ll take their headlines whether their basketball team is #1 in the country or last in the Big 10.

MAybe...But are we underestimating Ohio State basketball? I mean as far as tradition and history goes, they're definitely top 3 in the Big 10...

51 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It is, but Crean got canned with about the same record (if you don't count the first 3 years) and 2 Big 10 championships under his bely...

46 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Three transfers, 5 freshmen (including the starting backcourt), Sueing missed all last year and Key has been playing with injuries. That’s a lot to fit together. 

I agree, but 3-10? And as I said, chemistry issues always fall at the leader's feet...

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How could you be on the fence about firing Holtman when you still thought Archie deserved a 5th year. Holtman had made the tournament every year as a power 5 coach

As I said, it really not something I worry about...Different circumstances...

And if I remember right, you were emailing Dolson this year after Woody lost 3 in a row...😅

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 2