Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think the upper classmen are resentful of Sensabaugh getting a lot of shots...

Comparing their stats (and I know that's not a definitive measure) it's no contest... He should get the most shots because he's the most efficient scorer... He's not the best defender on the planet, but he seems to try...

Holtmann's problem is that Sensabaugh is almost certainly headed to the league next year. Some of the others will be back...

I just think Holtmann has handled his team poorly... 

So Key and Sueing are the issues?  I can get behind that.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

So Key and Sueing are the issues?  I can get behind that.

Oh I think Likekele and McNeil aren't happy about it either...

Likekele and Sueing though, seem to think they can be the "go to" guys late in a game... And they haven't produced... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Oh I think Likekele and McNeil aren't happy about it either...

Likekele and Sueing though, seem to think they can be the "go to" guys late in a game... And they haven't produced... 

If it wouldn't have been for Thorton on Sunday, the Bucks would have lost by 30.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I legit LOL’ed at that well done. He had some bogus rant today about Braden Smith not owning up to his turnover and Edey needing to come to his rescue. Just a hilariously bad take that even IU fans were giving him crap about. 

He’s just such a douche and I don’t think he actually has any closely held beliefs (other than his beef with IU for not being handed a coaching job that he wasn’t qualified for in any way), just constantly trying to stir the pot and see what sticks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I legit LOL’ed at that well done. He had some bogus rant today about Braden Smith not owning up to his turnover and Edey needing to come to his rescue. Just a hilariously bad take that even IU fans were giving him crap about. 

He adopted the shock jock mentality years ago.  Whatever he can say to piss people off is what he’s going to do because it gets him the most attention.  

56 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

He’s just such a douche and I don’t think he actually has any closely held beliefs (other than his beef with IU for not being handed a coaching job that he wasn’t qualified for in any way), just constantly trying to stir the pot and see what sticks. 

Makes sense to me. Trying to go full Clay Travis. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

IU fans give him crap a lot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think the upper classmen are resentful of Sensabaugh getting a lot of shots...

Comparing their stats (and I know that's not a definitive measure) it's no contest... He should get the most shots because he's the most efficient scorer... He's not the best defender on the planet, but he seems to try...

Holtmann's problem is that Sensabaugh is almost certainly headed to the league next year. Some of the others will be back...

Solid take, IMO.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

wins make all the difference…had they won 3 more of those closely contested games there would be no issue. The issue is more losing than who is doing all the scoring. I don’t see anyone on that team getting bent out of shape…young teams just struggle to learn how to win sometimes. Holtman is a good coach…a few timely shots and more importantly a few timely stops are what separates them from being bottom of the B1G and where they usually are. Let’s also not discount that the B1G has been dominated by teams with dominant bigs for several years now. OSU just doesn’t have a big to play through. If you don’t have a dominant big you better have a veteran point guard to really facilitate the offense. I look at typically great teams like OSU and Michigan St and I can see why they are struggling. They have neither..normally they have one or both.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUJoe said:

He adopted the shock jock mentality years ago.  Whatever he can say to piss people off is what he’s going to do because it gets him the most attention.  

He also seems to go heavily unfairly after Indiana HS grads…because he knows they are well respected in his target audience and will rile people up. Was always going after Romeo too.

Edited by dgambill

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

wins make all the difference…had they won 3 more of those closely contested games there would be no issue. The issue is more losing than who is doing all the scoring. I don’t see anyone on that team getting bent out of shape…young teams just struggle to learn how to win sometimes. Holtman is a good coach…a few timely shots and more importantly a few timely stops are what separates them from being bottom of the B1G and where they usually are. Let’s also not discount that the B1G has been dominated by teams with dominant bigs for several years now. OSU just doesn’t have a big to play through. If you don’t have a dominant big you better have a veteran point guard to really facilitate the offense. I look at typically great teams like OSU and Michigan St and I can see why they are struggling. They have neither..normally they have one or both.

They averaged 15 assists per game in their first 14... 8 apg in the last nine, including 6 in their last game against Michigan...that's not sharing the ball... 

I saw it first in their loss to Nebraska... Body language, eye rolls...

They have better talent than 11-12 and 3-9... 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They averaged 15 assists per game in their first 14... 8 apg in the last nine, including 6 in their last game against Michigan...that's not sharing the ball... 

I saw it first in their loss to Nebraska... Body language, eye rolls...

They have better talent than 11-12 and 3-9... 

agreed…they do have better talent than that…but losing creates a lot of what you are seeing. It snow balls. They don’t have a leader..you can see that night and day. It’s hard to get off a slide in a tough conference like the B1G. Talent wise the B1G is bunched up….more parity then I’ve ever seen. So what the difference in wins and losses. Seniors and leaders stepping up in winning time. Guys like Trayce and Miller Kopp…and Buie and Lundy and so on. OSU upper class man just aren’t leaders like Liddell and the others they lost. Is it because a freshman is doing all the scoring? I don’t think so…you either have leadership DNA or not. They don’t…so winning time becomes difficult and then the losses start mounting up and pressure gets more and more. Saw it with our teams. You start pressing and then yes some strife sneaks in but if they were winning I doubt it would do that.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

agreed…they do have better talent than that…but losing creates a lot of what you are seeing. It snow balls. They don’t have a leader..you can see that night and day. It’s hard to get off a slide in a tough conference like the B1G. Talent wise the B1G is bunched up….more parity then I’ve ever seen. So what the difference in wins and losses. Seniors and leaders stepping up in winning time. Guys like Trayce and Miller Kopp…and Buie and Lundy and so on. OSU upper class man just aren’t leaders like Liddell and the others they lost. Is it because a freshman is doing all the scoring? I don’t think so…you either have leadership DNA or not. They don’t…so winning time becomes difficult and then the losses start mounting up and pressure gets more and more. Saw it with our teams. You start pressing and then yes some strife sneaks in but if they were winning I doubt it would do that.

@rico posted this thread from their fan forum before... Interesting read... 

36 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

will be played on 2/20. Not great to add a game there but probably the only date that works. Will be after the visit to Bloomington at least.

Glad it could be rescheduled but I seemed to read somewhere that a woman’s team had to cancel 2 games due to illness and they were forced to forfeit them. Wonder why the double standard?

3 hours ago, rico said:

Kinda telling, isn't it?

The question is I guess, did the losing cause the dysfunction, or did the dysfunction cause the losing...

I'd say B based on the 5 or 6 times I've watched them play (pre and during the losing skid)...

And I lay that at Holtmann's feet. This rearranging of leadership is a desperate attempt to get the team back... I guess we'll see if it's working Thursday when they host Northwestern, a team they beat handily (by 16) in Evanston when they were playing as a team... 

We had a 3 game losing streak a while back... The only "dysfunction" was on this board 😁 

I think we have a strong enough leader to avoid those kinds of things... 

• Like 1