Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

Yeah, career day for Perkins, made a bunch of tough 2 point shots and lived at the FT line. Couple bad plays by Illinois and the officiating completely changed in the second half. First half the 2 teams shot a combined 9 FTs, second half a combined 44 FTs! The calls weren't really one sided but it was still a completely different approach and ultimately favored Iowa IMO. Good game that was fun to watch except for the ending.

See that's what I'm talking about. Without seeing the entire game they let them play like crazy in first half and try to bring it back in during 2nd half. 9 vs 44....just so inconsistent.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Assuming OSU doesn’t have a miraculous turnaround and misses the tournament, how hot does Holtmann’s seat get? Obviously basketball will always be a distant second place there but when do folks start getting antsy? Especially with the talent he’s brought in:

2018: 27th (247 composite rankings)

2019: 14th

2020: 48th

2021: 49th

2022: 8th

2023: 6th

We've touched on it a few times with a few coaches in the league.

Holtmann-Year 6-3 tourney wins

McCafferey-Year 13-6 tourney appearances and 6 wins

Underwood-Year 6-2 tourney appearances and 2 wins

The only one of the above I think is in trouble is Holtmann mainly because of recruiting classes.

Those schools will have to decide do they go the Purdue way which was keeping Painter after being on the job for 7 years and not winning a tourney game for the next 4 years? Or do you go the IU way hire and fire until you get it right. I mean at least Crean had us in S16 3x and won 2 regular season titles.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The only one of the above I think is in trouble is Holtmann mainly because of recruiting classes.

Those schools will have to decide do they go the Purdue way which was keeping Painter after being on the job for 7 years and not winning a tourney game for the next 4 years? Or do you go the IU way hire and fire until you get it right. I mean at least Crean had us in S16 3x and won 2 regular season titles.

The frenzy that is Ohio St. football spills over to the basketball program.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think Painter showed his worth early on relative to the coaches you mentioned. He inherited a program that had been on the downswing for several years and had them dancing in year 2 and had his first S16 by year 4.  The 3 listed above all came into much healthier roster situations (at least Holtmann and Underwood) yet still have struggled to do much in the tournament. Obviously Painter had a bad 4-year stretch there but the proof was already there that he could do it. That isn’t the case for Holtmann, Underwood, and Fran. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 2

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

I think Painter showed his worth early on relative to the coaches you mentioned. He inherited a program that had been on the downswing for several years and had them dancing in year 2 and had his first S16 by year 4.  The 3 listed above all came into much healthier roster situations (at least Holtmann and Underwood) yet still have struggled to do much in the tournament. 

Oh I agree for sure...just saying only each school, their AD, their fans/supporters will decide when enough is enough. If I'm a Big 10 program of any kind the idea that I should settle for 50% rate of making tourney and never making it past the first weekend?? I'm only good for that around 5-6 years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Oh I agree for sure...just saying only each school, their AD, their fans/supporters will decide when enough is enough. If I'm a Big 10 program of any kind the idea that I should settle for 50% rate of making tourney and never making it past the first weekend?? I'm only good for that around 5-6 years. 

Yeah and didn’t Iowa just extend Fran? To me, that just screams hey we’re mediocre and that’s okay with us. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It appears to me that a lot of B1G schools have been suffering in the NCAAT.  It ain't just an Ohio St. thing.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Assuming OSU doesn’t have a miraculous turnaround and misses the tournament, how hot does Holtmann’s seat get? Obviously basketball will always be a distant second place there but when do folks start getting antsy? Especially with the talent he’s brought in:

2018: 27th (247 composite rankings)

2019: 14th

2020: 48th

2021: 49th

2022: 8th

2023: 6th

Wonder if he looks to parachute out? Maybe someplace like ND or if not then a lower tier program.

19 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Wonder if he looks to parachute out? Maybe someplace like ND or if not then a lower tier program.

We know ND and Texas are open right now.  Now how many after the season?  But if Holtmann is unemployed come season's end I am sure there will be several schools interested in his services.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, rico said:

We know ND and Texas are open right now.  Now how many after the season?  But if Holtmann is unemployed come season's end I am sure there will be several schools interested in his services.

Georgetown? Texas could cause some dominoes depending on how they play it.

45 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Could see him maybe going back to Butler after Matta retires. Wouldn’t guess Thad would coach too much longer with all of his health problems unfortunately. 

Well this is Matta's first year back? Agree he's not a long term guy but probably not this soon. A coaching trade is probably not in the cards but that would be interesting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Look at their game logs 

Hasn't been that way all year... As a matter of fact earlier in this thread I remarked on their game at Northwestern they moved the ball as well as any team I'd seen... 

It’s becoming obvious that Sensabaugh is an issue in the locker room. All the words from older players and coaches, he’s always the one who sees less minutes or now doesn’t start. He is the best offensive player on the team, but you can see him stat padding. I mean, he’s out there ripping rebounds away from Key and Okpara as Zed rolls his eyes and runs back. You can start to see guys not liking his antics 

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Look at their game logs 

Hasn't been that way all year... As a matter of fact earlier in this thread I remarked on their game at Northwestern they moved the ball as well as any team I'd seen... 

Almost forgot.

I was watching a show not all that long ago where the Bucks were mentioned as a "sleeper"  FF team.  In a very short period of time they have become a dumpster fire.  WTF happened?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

It’s becoming obvious that Sensabaugh is an issue in the locker room. All the words from older players and coaches, he’s always the one who sees less minutes or now doesn’t start. He is the best offensive player on the team, but you can see him stat padding. I mean, he’s out there ripping rebounds away from Key and Okpara as Zed rolls his eyes and runs back. You can start to see guys not liking his antics 

Maybe it ended up being a good miss when we didn't get Sensabaugh 

• Like 3