Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Someone needs to tweet or get this to the student section somehow they should count 1,2,3.....every time Edey enters the lane. If the refs aren't going to call it on the up and up....shame them into calling it.

That's a pretty good idea that an account like HoosierHystrcs or Assembly Call with a lot of followers would tweet out. 

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

They are posers in more ways than that... 🙂

Was waiting for someone to bring this up. Even though the Illini kids lied....for Iowa to cancel after being duped is pretty weak.

The really weak part was that Iowa had 200 seats together for purchase at a Big 10 home game vs a rival? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Boilers up on Penn St by 6 at the break...

Here's a little glimpse of what Edey gets away with constantly... He enters the lane with 27 seconds on the shot clock and doesn't exit til there are 20 seconds on the shot clock...

Would they ever call 3 seconds on him? 

So, am I missing something? 

-He enters the lane at 26
- catches ball at 23
- time is suspended
- he passes out and immediately makes a move to get out of the lane

I thought that the count stops and the player gives up position and makes a concerted effort to leave the lane. Per an NBA memo no the 3 second rule; this is listed as legal

The highlighted player starts to exit the lane before the three-second count is reached, and he does not stop until he clears the lane. http://dmmx2.nba.com/videourlredirect?&project=/bballops/bballops_O_3_Memo_Legal_1 3

In that video his feet are technically in the lane for more than 3 seconds, but he makes a move to exit the lane before 3 seconds are up. 

In real time, I don't think any official would call that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

- catches ball at 23
- time is suspended

I thought that the count stops and the player gives up position and makes a concerted effort to leave the lane. Per an NBA memo no the 3 second rule; this is listed as legal

In that video his feet are technically in the lane for more than 3 seconds, but he makes a move to exit the lane before 3 seconds are up. 

Does the NCAA use this rule? Otherwise, none of this matters. 

20 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

- catches ball at 23
- time is suspended

This... by definition.... is absolutely 3 secs in the lane. I have no problem with this NOT being called, though. 

What does the bold mean? Time is suspended? 

He enters the lane at 25 for count purposes because the ball is in the back court at 26. He exits the lane at 19. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This... by definition.... is absolutely 3 secs in the lane. I have no problem with this NOT being called, though. 

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, Mackey Arena

• Haha 8

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He enters the lane at 25 for count purposes because the ball is in the back court at 26. He exits the lane at 19. 

The *count* (lol) is suspended. Once he has possession of the ball the 3 second count stops until he gets rid of the ball. Am i interpreting that right? 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

Just now, tdhoosier said:

The *count* (lol) is suspended. One he has the possession of the ball the 3 second count stops until he gets rid of the ball. Am i interpreting that right? 

No. The count does not suspend when catches the ball. 

Now.. they do offer some leeway after you pass the ball, which I am for sure good with. As mentioned, I don't want this called 3 secs. 

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Krush are great fans that raise a lot of money for charity. But made a bonehead move here. And Iowa doesn't look too good here either iMO.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No. The count does not suspend when catches the ball. 

Now.. they do offer some leeway after you pass the ball, which I am for sure good with. As mentioned, I don't want this called 3 secs. 

Not trying to be argumentitive, just understanding. So if a player is in the lane for 2 seconds, catches the ball, makes a couple of dribbles for 2 more seconds, and then shoots it - that is technically a 3 second violation?

• Like 1

I would venture to guess that any team with any post presence at all is probably guilty of 3 seconds multiple times a game.

It's a tough one to monitor.  First, there are the two caveats, which are beginning to shoot and imminently leaving the lane area.  Secondly, the player's ability to get out of the lane could be impeded by the defense.

If I was a referee, I would put this at the bottom of my priority list of calls unless a player blatantly violates it multiple times over the course of a game.

If what we saw from Edey in the video was an isolated incident, I'm not calling it.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Not trying to be argumentitive, just understanding. So if a player is in the lane for 2 seconds, catches the ball, makes a couple of dribbles for 2 more seconds, and then shoots it - that is technically a 3 second violation?

You're good. But yes, technically. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would venture to guess that any team with any post presence at all is probably guilty of 3 seconds multiple times a game.

It's a tough one to monitor.  First, there are the two caveats, which are beginning to shoot and imminently leaving the lane area.  Secondly, the player's ability to get out of the lane could be impeded by the defense.

If I was a referee, I would put this at the bottom of my priority list of calls unless a player blatantly violates it multiple times over the course of a game.

If what we saw from Edey in the video was an isolated incident, I'm not calling it.

To the bold, absolutely. 

I think a whole lot of people are setting themselves up for disappointment if we think we are going to get a lot of foul calls, 3 seconds, or get Edey in foul trouble when we play. There is just no precedent for that happening all year with Purdue…to think we will have that happen seems silly. They are certainly beatable but it will take a great all around team effort and a very efficient game…and most importantly lock down defense and force Purdue to initiate offense well far out from the 3pt line and do this without fouling ourselves. Push Edey away from the basket and don’t let him initiate from the paint. He will get his but make him start outside the lane. As soon as he starts to dribble hace active hands from our guards but be in positikn to fall back quick to their man. Perhaps make him pick up his dribble and as soon as he does bail back to your guy. Don’t really double just help down and fall back. You can’t double him anyways he will throw over a double…just stop him from going into his move or make him start and stop etc throwing off his timing. And please run them off the 3pt line. Give them runners and jumpers fine…but no 3s. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You're not alone. I found this when I looked up the rule. 

https://www.referee.com/a-guide-to-enforcing-the-three-second-violation/

If there is one rule many officials are loath to enforce, it seems to be the three-second violation. For them, ruling a three-second violation carries the same stigma as riding in the Tour de France with training wheels.

• Like 1