Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How can you compare the guys those players went up against versus who Edey goes up against? Tough to compare especially from so long ago versus today. 

It is called the eye test and watching all the players mentioned. Edey is a great player today no doubt about it. Just watching the college game today and the talent level it isn't close to what it was in the 80's and 90's. Right now #11 Baylor is playing #10 Texas and those teams probably wouldn't be a top 25 back then.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It is called the eye test and watching all the players mentioned. Edey is a great player today no doubt about it. Just watching the college game today and the talent level it isn't close to what it was in the 80's and 90's. Right now #11 Baylor is playing #10 Texas and those teams probably wouldn't be a top 25 back then.

You need an eye exam bro.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

In the 80's and 90's most people still only had 3 channels.  Hell, my cousin from Kentucky didn't have a TV until late 80's. 

How many games a week could you watch in 1985 or even 1993 vs today?  You only got to see the talented teams or team really, back then. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

In the 80's and 90's most people still only had 3 channels.  Hell, my cousin from Kentucky didn't have a TV until late 80's. 

How many games a week could you watch in 1985 or even 1993 vs today?  You only got to see the talented teams or team really, back then. 

Let's look at the #1 team this year's roster vs 1989 national championship team and it isn't even close.

Michigan 

PG Rumeal Robinson 6'3 1st round draft pick

2G Griffin 6'7 

SF Glenn Rice 6'9 1st round draft pick

PF Loy Vaught 6'9 1st round draft pick 

C. Chris Mills 6'10 1st round pick 

Purdue 

PG Smith 6'0 

2G Loyer 6'3 

SF Morton 6'5 

PF Furst 6'9 

C. Edey 7'4 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I got cable in 1984 and ESPN and they usually had at least two games a night. Monday was Big Monday withe Big East playing at 7 and at 9 it was the big ten. The Big West was on at midnight 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Let's look at the #1 team this year's roster vs 1989 national championship team and it isn't even close.

Michigan 

2G Griffin 6'7 

Purdue 

PG Smith 6'0 

2G Loyer 6'3 

SF Morton 6'5 

PF Furst 6'9 

C. Edey 7'4 

I'm trying to figure out which National Champion from the 90s would have trouble against Purdue. The 1990 UNLV team had 3 NBA players including Larry Johnson. The 91 and 92 Duke teams had Grant Hill and I think 7 total players go to the NBA. The 93 UNC team had 5 NBA players. The 94 Arkansas team had 3 NBA players. I'm not even going to get into the UCLA, Kentucky teams, Arizona and UConn teams that round out the NCAA MBB champions of the 90s.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I got cable in 1984 and ESPN and they usually had at least two games a night. Monday was Big Monday withe Big East playing at 7 and at 9 it was the big ten. The Big West was on at midnight 

I have FuboTV and today I have 12 games I can watch on 6 different networks.

I can watch Loyola-Chicago at Dayton on CBSSN if I wanted to. 

What I'm saying is they only showed the best or better teams back then. You rarely got to see the shitty ones. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Michigan 

2G Griffin 6'7 

Purdue 

PG Smith 6'0 

2G Loyer 6'3 

SF Morton 6'5 

PF Furst 6'9 

C. Edey 7'4 

So what. Bill Frieder paid for those guys.  Talent was more concentrated to fewer teams back then and you hardly ever saw the less talented teams. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So what. Bill Frieder paid for those guys.  Talent was more concentrated to fewer teams back then and you hardly ever saw the less talented teams. 

I got to see all the big ten teams and what does the bad teams have to do with this discussion. I was talking about top 25 teams today compared to back then. I would think a person who has seen both has a little more to go on than not seeing the teams and players

Edited by IU Scott

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Michigan 

2G Griffin 6'7 

Purdue 

PG Smith 6'0 

2G Loyer 6'3 

SF Morton 6'5 

PF Furst 6'9 

C. Edey 7'4 

Holy cherry picking, batman. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I got to see all the big ten teams and what does the bad teams have to do with this discussion. I was talking about top 25 teams today compared to hack then. I would think a person who has seen both has a little more to go on than not seeing the teams and players

You said watching the college game today the talent isn't as good as the 80's and 90's.  

I'm saying there were more bad teams back then because they didn't get the talent and you never got to see them play.  Talent is distributed among more teams now than in the past. 

I did watch as much as I could in the 90's. I was alive, old enough to comprehend, and my dad would pick a game for me to watch and analyze as sort of a homework assignment.  After the game we'd compare notes.  I'm not talking out of my backside. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I got to see all the big ten teams and what does the bad teams have to do with this discussion. I was talking about top 25 teams today compared to back then. I would think a person who has seen both has a little more to go on than not seeing the teams and players

What you're referring to that you posses and others (allegedly) do not is called anecdotal evidence. It is generally considered a weak form of evidence. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

You said watching the college game today the talent isn't as good as the 80's and 90's.  

I'm saying there were more bad teams back then because they didn't get the talent and you never got to see them play.  Talent is distributed among more teams now than in the past. 

I did watch as much as I could in the 90's. I was alive, old enough to comprehend, and my dad would pick a game for me to watch and analyze as sort of a homework assignment.  After the game we'd compare notes.  I'm not talking out of my backside. 

There were plenty of games on back then even before cable . Channel 4 showed all of the IUband Purdue games including non conference games. NBC would show probably 4 games a week. After cable ESPN showed games daily except for Fridays.  We had championship week and saw every conference championship game. To me the reason for the parity is that the difference between the top teams and the bottom teams are not that far apart. It isn't because more talent at the bottom but far less talent at the top of college basketball.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I can do every year if you want

It's very sad to me that you think your generation has taken all the great things you had given to you in your youth and made it all so much worse for your kids and grandkids.

But sure, go ahead and point out all the teams better than 2021 Baylor who finished 28-2 and beat an undefeated team in the National Title game.

Or find more than maybe 5 teams better than 2012 Kentucky in the last 40 years.

What about 2018 Villanova, they stack up pretty dang favorably to anyone.

We don't have a National Champion yet for 2023, so I don't really care about Purdue at this point and this season's story is really still in the early stages. You're comparing players and teams you have the full benefit of hindsight (and nostalgia) to teams that you don't. No reasonable person would draw any meaningful conclusions from that. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Michigan 

2G Griffin 6'7 

Purdue 

PG Smith 6'0 

2G Loyer 6'3 

SF Morton 6'5 

PF Furst 6'9 

C. Edey 7'4 

BS.  That Michigan team lost 6 conference games that year.  2 of them to us, we had NO NBA stars.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There were plenty of games on back then even before cable . Channel 4 showed all of the IUband Purdue games including non conference games. NBC would show probably 4 games a week. After cable ESPN showed games daily except for Fridays.  We had championship week and saw every conference championship game. To me the reason for the parity is that the difference between the top teams and the bottom teams are not that far apart. It isn't because more talent at the bottom but far less talent at the top of college basketball.

So IU and PU Big 10 games.  I saw those too.  Well the IU games. 

4 games a week, a few others, and championship games. Out of how many D1 programs. They televised the premier games. 

If there is far less talent at the top then where do they go?

33 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have FuboTV and today I have 12 games I can watch on 6 different networks.

I can watch Loyola-Chicago at Dayton on CBSSN if I wanted to. 

What I'm saying is they only showed the best or better teams back then. You rarely got to see the shitty ones. 

I got to watch Purdue back then 😳