Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

2 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

TJD had 31, 15, 4a, and 5b in the first game against them. 
I really think Izzo is taking his chances letting 1 big dominate the game and is 0-3 doing it. 

It’s a bold strategy that’s for sure. MSU always used to have those tough bigs that would make it tough on you defensively but they haven’t had guys like that in awhile it seems like. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Haven't watched the entire MSU-Purdue game, but from what I've seen MSU is doing a really poor job defensively from a strategic standpoint. 

They're basically just playing Edey straight up and allowing him to catch it anywhere, while also applying very little perimeter pressure. 

You can't play Edey the same way. You have to front, sometimes you have to 3/4 him and others play behind and try to push him out.

But, you also have to pressure their perimeter guys. You can't let them just stand there with no pressure and see the floor and just lob it into Edey with no pressure. 

You have to make it difficult on the entry pass. 

Last year we did a great job of not letting him get position deep by the basket. He was regularly catching it 12-15 feet away. He’s nearly impossible to stop once he gets it in low, but he’s not the kind of guy that’s able to put it on the deck and make a move to get to the rim. I think we’ll be ready for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It’s a bold strategy that’s for sure. MSU always used to have those tough bigs that would make it tough on you defensively but they haven’t had guys like that in awhile it seems like. 

I thought it was bold the first time you played. Now it seems like he’s trying the same thing and expecting different results. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Haven't watched the entire MSU-Purdue game, but from what I've seen MSU is doing a really poor job defensively from a strategic standpoint. 

They're basically just playing Edey straight up and allowing him to catch it anywhere, while also applying very little perimeter pressure. 

You can't play Edey the same way. You have to front, sometimes you have to 3/4 him and others play behind and try to push him out.

But, you also have to pressure their perimeter guys. You can't let them just stand there with no pressure and see the floor and just lob it into Edey with no pressure. 

You have to make it difficult on the entry pass. 

Agreed. I hope to see a lot of ball pressure on the perimeter and then Trayce fronting him. If their guards can consistently make that pass you obviously adjust, but don’t make it easy on them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

Would love if there was a way to isolate out the second half of Iowa through Penn State from that.

I get that every team has a rough stretch, but that was an exceptionally bad rough stretch and it happened directly coming off of a key injury and we’ve since righted the ship.

Not so much curious because I care if we are ranked better than Purdue in any metric, but it would be a better barometer of how good each team actually is. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It seems as though they are missing Windex guys.  Sparty always went to the glass hard.  Today even when Edey would miss, it seemed Edey or another Boiler got the rebound.  Atypical of an Izzo squad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Purdue7 said:

Any team that singles ZE15 or TJD is playing with fire 🔥 scarecrow 

Freshman on the road in Mackey or Assembly Hall are usually hit & miss….mostly miss 

Won’t be surprised if IU is favored 

It might be an odd week in terms of betting, IU might be underdogs against Maryland on Tuesday, but Home favorites against Purdue on Saturday 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Would love if there was a way to isolate out the second half of Iowa through Penn State from that.

I get that every team has a rough stretch, but that was an exceptionally bad rough stretch and it happened directly coming off of a key injury and we’ve since righted the ship.

Not so much curious because I care if we are ranked better than Purdue in any metric, but it would be a better barometer of how good each team actually is. 

So now we are trying to be analytical of the analytics?

Edited by rico
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Last year we did a great job of not letting him get position deep by the basket. He was regularly catching it 12-15 feet away. He’s nearly impossible to stop once he gets it in low, but he’s not the kind of guy that’s able to put it on the deck and make a move to get to the rim. I think we’ll be ready for him.

Game at IU TJD was really hurt….ZE15 destroyed him early .  
TG & Rob off the bench flipped the game with pressure D & shooting 

6 minutes ago, rico said:

It seems as though they are missing Windex guys.  Sparty always went to the glass hard.  Today even when Edey would miss, it seemed Edey or another Boiler got the rebound.  Atypical of an Izzo squad.

Exactly. The Kenny Goins/Matt Costellos weren’t the most talented but they fit your description and they haven’t had guys like that in a bit. 

I feel like our frontcourt reminds me a bit of some of those MSU frontcourts from a physicality/rebounding perspective.  Furst didn’t score today but he was extremely active on the glass and just abused Hauser. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I was thinking that today.

is purdue really better than IU?

our schedule is  🚽 📝 

If you guys  🐢 🔨 I’ll be really impressed 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Exactly. The Kenny Goins/Matt Costellos weren’t the most talented but they fit your description and they haven’t had guys like that in a bit. 

I feel like our frontcourt reminds me a bit of some of those MSU frontcourts from a physicality/rebounding perspective.  Furst didn’t score today but he was extremely active on the glass and just abused Hauser. 

Furst does remind me of left-handed versions of Ben Tower and Larry Polec.

36 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

It might be an odd week in terms of betting, IU might be underdogs against Maryland on Tuesday, but Home favorites against Purdue on Saturday 

Unrelated but I made some money getting plus odds on KU at UK with this

30 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

our schedule is  🚽 📝 

What is 🐢🔨?

Is that hammer the turtles (UM)?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

our schedule is  🚽 📝 

Yeah I’m really interested to see how we perform Tuesday.

Purdue is great, deserving of number 1, and legit one of the top 5 best teams in the country. I’m just not sure that we don’t have just as high of a ceiling (or maybe higher depending on how X reintegrates). 

• Like 1

Not only does Michigan St not have those pounding the boards bigs but they also don’t have the 4 and 5 that step out to the 3pt line pulling the opponents big away from the basket. Honestly Michigan has the best B1G to play Edey but they didn’t have a supporting cast. Edey is 2x better this year…I don’t think Trayce stands a chance. I also don’t think the refs will let Edey get in foul trouble either.

Edited by dgambill