Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

5 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Poor mans Matt Steginga 

Funny you should mention Matt.  His cousin use to deliver to the company I used to work for some 30+ years ago.  Those were some nice Spartan squads that he was on.  Steigenga was a big part of their success.  And I always heard that from his cousin every damn Thursday!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Edey is 2x better this year…I don’t think Trayce stands a chance. I also don’t think the refs will let Edey get in foul trouble either.

You sound like a closet Turdue fanboy.  Have you even watched Trayce this year?  He's a lot better as well and he has a unique skill set that Edey hasn't seen this season.

Don't always be so pessimistic about IU.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You sound like a closet Turdue fanboy.  Have you even watched Trayce this year?  He's a lot better as well and he has a unique skill set that Edey hasn't seen this season.

I think Trayce will struggle if we’re simply trying to back Edey down. But if we can isolate him and TJD can use his athleticism facing up he can really make Edey work. Which will only benefit us on the defensive end. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think Trayce stands a chance. I also don’t think the refs will let Edey get in foul trouble either.

This maybe a bad take but I don't think you need Edey getting into foul trouble to beat Purdue. You need their guards and wings to have foul problems. If they get into foul issues Edey won't have anyone reliable to pass it to out of the double team. Their backup guards and wings haven't shot well from 3 this year. Obviously, easier said than done. 

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SawatchHoosier said:

This maybe a bad take but I don't think you need Edey getting into  foul trouble to beat Purdue. You need their guards and wings to have foul problems. If they get into foul issues Edey won't have anyone reliable to pass it to out of the double team. Their backup guards and wings haven't shot well from 3 this year. Obviously, easier said than done. 

I don’t think it’s a bad take, but I would go further and say you don’t need to get them in foul trouble at all to beat them.

You need to be able to take advantage of the drop coverage they play and you need the length/athleticism to make their freshman guards uncomfortable. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t think it’s a bad take, but I would go further and say you don’t need to get them in foul trouble at all to beat them.

You need to be able to take advantage of the drop coverage they play and you need the length/athleticism to make their freshman guards uncomfortable. 

This. If y’all make it tough for Smith and Loyer to get the ball into Edey and if you are hitting mid-range jumpers, it’ll be tough for us. We do a good job of limiting open 3 point shots to concede the mid-range. I’m guessing Edey will just camp in the lane and protect the rim unless TJD takes/makes some jumpers. 

• Like 1

There just isn’t a good matchup for 7’4….especially 7’4 that is playing like Wilt Chamberlain right now. Edey has been in a zone. He is playing so comfortable right now. My best strategy would be to 3/4 deny, pressure the ball, and then dive down on the double as soon as he looks like he is going into his dribble/move. Takes a long time for a ball to travel that high to a big man. Our guard hace to anticipate. Problem is Purdue is great at spacing but you have to disrupt his rythem because he is too comfortable right now. If Purdue is hitting 3s then you are in trouble…you rather force guys other than Loyer and you rather them take the deep 3 from the top of the key…not the short corner.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Not a fanboy…hard not to admire them though. Bunch of Indiana kids taking it to everyone. Edey is a freak of nature…Davis hasn’t faired well against bigger 5s. The league has lost several of those this year but Kansas and Arizona easily come to mind. You’d hope with his quickness and athleticism he couldn’t get edey into some awkward defensive positions and hope to get some fouls…but Edey often gives ground and and doesn’t reach just makes people go up and over him. You’d love to have a big to pull him out on the floor but Trayce has never developed that game.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

There just isn’t a good matchup for 7’4….especially 7’4 that is playing like Wilt Chamberlain right now. Edey has been in a zone. He is playing so comfortable right now. My best strategy would be to 3/4 deny, pressure the ball, and then dive down on the double as soon as he looks like he is going into his dribble/move. Takes a long time for a ball to travel that high to a big man. Our guard hace to anticipate. Problem is Purdue is great at spacing but you have to disrupt his rythem because he is too comfortable right now. If Purdue is hitting 3s then you are in trouble…you rather force guys other than Loyer and you rather them take the deep 3 from the top of the key…not the short corner.

Wilt?  C'mon man.  Edey is more of a poorman's Ralph Sampson.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He's elite because he is tall, but if he was 6'11 and 250 with his same skillset he'd be a good player. 

Oh I don’t doubt it but I’ve seen people be like oh he’d be D3 or not even playing basketball if he was 7 inches shorter lol. He is very skilled which is the entire point. Guys his size shouldn’t be able to have that agility/shooting touch/footwork/etc. IMO

43 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Oh I don’t doubt it but I’ve seen people be like oh he’d be D3 or not even playing basketball if he was 7 inches shorter lol. He is very skilled which is the entire point. Guys his size shouldn’t be able to have that agility/shooting touch/footwork/etc. IMO

I mean maybe if he was 7 inches shorter, but isn't that true for any big? Maybe he works to develop a three point shot if he is "only" 6'9. Kind of a silly hypothetical because he is 7'4 and very much coordinated and skilled to go with being a massive human. 

EDIT: Not saying you're being silly, just that people would try to discredit him based on some hypothetical is silly. If Trayce was only a good athlete instead of a great athlete and he was 6'6 he also wouldn't be the same player he is. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Edey is the rich man's Guy-Marc Michele.

Or maybe the middle-classman's  Ben Allen.

Like it or not, Edey is pretty damn good.  He is changing games at the college level much like Sampson, Ewing, and Hakeem did years ago.  The kid is a beast.  

• Like 1