Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

56 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have FuboTV and today I have 12 games I can watch on 6 different networks.

I can watch Loyola-Chicago at Dayton on CBSSN if I wanted to. 

What I'm saying is they only showed the best or better teams back then. You rarely got to see the shitty ones. 

I grew up in the Region and the only team I could watch on a regular basis back then was DePaul. Knew very little about IU or Purdah until I got to college and we were in the Ft Wayne viewing area.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The NBA

There have been a total of 41 high school players go directly to the NBA. They stopped allowing that in 2006. So where do the top prep players end up?  On a college team. Even if for only 1 season, they are still playing college basketball.  When they leave they are replaced by more top talent. It doesn't make for cohesive teams but the talent is still there. 

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

There have been a total of 41 high school players go directly to the NBA. They stopped allowing that in 2006. So where do the top prep players end up?  On a college team. Even if for only 1 season, they are still playing college basketball.  When they leave they are replaced by more top talent. It doesn't make for cohesive teams but the talent is still there. 

You don't see the difference when the best players leave after 1 year compared to when they stayed 3 to 4 years.  When the best players stayed it made for a better product and it made it easier to develop your team. 

Maybe it is  just the style of play today that makes the game looks less talented to me.  I don't see the pure shooters in college today but maybe that is because the offense doesn't try to get them open looks.  If you put Alford in the corner and he had to wait for another player to drive and kick he wouldn't have been a great outside shooter. 

I guess for me the college game was just more appealing and fun to watch back then because I prefer that style of play.  I also loved watching a team develop and grow over the years and you got to know the players better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I grew up in the Region and the only team I could watch on a regular basis back then was DePaul. Knew very little about IU or Purdah until I got to college and we were in the Ft Wayne viewing area.

Back in the day CBS was really the only option, and they broadcast on a regional basis on most Saturdays, unless it was a monster game and then they carried it nationwide. Since I live in Asheville, NC,  it was always Duke or the Tarheels, so most of the time I was out of the luck. To my dismay, the LSU game against Shaq wasn’t carried in our area. How could they do that -  Shaq against the Hoosiers, Knight against Dale Brown. So I decided to get in the car and drive over the mountains to Johnson City, TN, and rent hotel room to watch the game. It was well worth it because, as you know, we won, and the amazing thing was Matt Nover (6’8”) guarded Shaq most of the game. Dale Brown went nuts, and of course, Knight was Knight. Anyway, thanks to BTN/Fox, I don’t have to do that anymore.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 3