Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

2 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Krush are great fans that raise a lot of money for charity. But made a bonehead move here. And Iowa doesn't look too good here either iMO.

Honest question.... How does Iowa not look good here?

Illinois fan bought a slew of tickets under the premise that they were for a charity organization and got a discount. Iowa found out that it was no the case. They refunded their money. Then gave the tickets to and actual Boys and Girls Club.

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

3 second rule was instituted when lane was 6’ wide.

this is what I was taught when I learned to ref 

I was also taught to call things when a team gained an advantage 

If  I were reffing I’d call it at 4+ seconds after a verbal warning ⚠️ 

Yes. Edey gained no real advantage there, play on. 

2 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Krush are great fans that raise a lot of money for charity. But made a bonehead move here. And Iowa doesn't look too good here either iMO.

The real move here should be by either some very wealthy alum or someone else. Buy the tickets off the Cedar Rapids Club (after generous donation) and get all 200 of those tickets back to the Krush. 

39 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Honest question.... How does Iowa not look good here?

Illinois fan bought a slew of tickets under the premise that they were for a charity organization and got a discount. Iowa found out that it was no the case. They refunded their money. Then gave the tickets to and actual Boys and Girls Club.

Here's the website for Iowa Group Tickets.

https://hawkeyesports.com/grouptickets/

"Iowa Athletics offers discounted tickets to all groups". Doesn't matter whether the group is a charity or not. The Illinois student gave a false name, likely figuring Iowa wouldn't want the Orange Krush there. And he was right, Iowa doesn't want the Orange Krush there. Iowa looks petty because they'd rather cancel the order and donate the 200 tickets than have 200 students from the opposing team in attendance.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Here's the website for Iowa Group Tickets.

https://hawkeyesports.com/grouptickets/

"Iowa Athletics offers discounted tickets to all groups". Doesn't matter whether the group is a charity or not. The Illinois student gave a false name, likely figuring Iowa wouldn't want the Orange Krush there. And he was right, Iowa doesn't want the Orange Krush there. Iowa looks petty because they'd rather cancel the order and donate the 200 tickets than have 200 students from the opposing team in attendance.

Yep, that's it. The Krush has road tripped to Iowa a couple times in the past and Iowa doesn't like it. Also the Krush is in fact a charitable org anyway, so that's really not an issue. Like I said, dumb move to pick a real charity name to use.

Of course now Iowa's response makes the Krush look bad by implying the charity status was used so well played by them I guess.

Edited by BruceDouglas
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It's pretty close on a three seconds call - he goes into his offensive move as soon as he catches it, and starts to vacate as soon as he passes. So it's really a question of how long was he in the lane before catching the ball... it was probably three seconds but I personally don't want B1G refs looking for more things to call. 

Now @IUCrazy2talking about an offensive foul - I'm not seeing it. What did he do that would constitute a foul? I don't really see anything you could say violates a rule there....

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

No. The count does not suspend when catches the ball. 

Now.. they do offer some leeway after you pass the ball, which I am for sure good with. As mentioned, I don't want this called 3 secs. 

They give you time to get out after a pass, and if you're making an offensive move towards the goal they don't count. So the entire time Edey had the ball, he was doing one of the two two things...

Now was he in there for three seconds prior to catching it, maybe? It's really close, but to your point, I don't want them calling that. 

30 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It's pretty close on a three seconds call - he goes into his offensive move as soon as he catches it, and starts to vacate as soon as he passes. So it's really a question of how long was he in the lane before catching the ball... it was probably three seconds but I personally don't want B1G refs looking for more things to call. 

Now @IUCrazy2talking about an offensive foul - I'm not seeing it. What did he do that would constitute a foul? I don't really see anything you could say violates a rule there....

In today's game, it is never called but I think the Penn State player has established a defensive position around the foul line and is stopped.  Edey comes down the court and initiates multiple points of contact that forces the defensive player out of his position several times.

If Edey comes running down the court and just plows over the guy at full speed, we say player control foul, the defender had established position and the ball is going the other way.  What Edey does is effectively the same thing in slow motion though.

It isn't just Edey, our guys do it every game too and it maybe gets called once a game.  I think offensive players in the post generate a whole bunch of contact to bull defenders out of the way, I think the intent of the rules is to not allow that but the modern game has decided to let it go.

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

In today's game, it is never called but I think the Penn State player has established a defensive position around the foul line and is stopped.  Edey comes down the court and initiates multiple points of contact that forces the defensive player out of his position several times.

If Edey comes running down the court and just plows over the guy at full speed, we say player control foul, the defender had established position and the ball is going the other way.  What Edey does is effectively the same thing in slow motion though.

It isn't just Edey, our guys do it every game too and it maybe gets called once a game.  I think offensive players in the post generate a whole bunch of contact to bull defenders out of the way, I think the intent of the rules is to not allow that but the modern game has decided to let it go.

Yeah, but there’s the key difference in running full speed and what Edey does when it comes to a player control foul… the control aspect.

It’s not a foul to be stronger or bigger than someone. It’s a foul to push off, throw your body into someone, etc but Edey doesn’t need to do those thing. TJD moves guys off their spots frequently without fouling too. 

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Backing a guy down is one thing.  He didn't just force him out of position. Edey drove him 4-5 feet down the lane.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, but there’s the key difference in running full speed and what Edey does when it comes to a player control foul… the control aspect.

It’s not a foul to be stronger or bigger than someone. It’s a foul to push off, throw your body into someone, etc but Edey doesn’t need to do those thing. TJD moves guys off their spots frequently without fouling too. 

I know TJD does.  I said as much.  I think when the defender is set and the offensive player throws themselves into them to knock them out of space, that is technically a charge.  They just never call it anymore....and I think stuff like that is why the post has turned into a wrestling match.  Neither of them should be allowed to do it.  It is a foul.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Backing a guy down is one thing.  He didn't just force him out of position. Edey drove him 4-5 feet down the lane.  

Exactly.  And to me that is a charge.  Go look highlights of Shaq at LSU up.  You can tell how different the game was called because he doesn't do the butt backdown he did in the NBA.  Edey does the butt backdown.

Look at what a charge was at 2:20, that kind of stuff happens on almost every post play now.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I know TJD does.  I said as much.  I think when the defender is set and the offensive player throws themselves into them to knock them out of space, that is technically a charge.  They just never call it anymore....and I think stuff like that is why the post has turned into a wrestling match.  Neither of them should be allowed to do it.  It is a foul.  

It’s not technically a charge though. You may not like it or think it should be, but it’s not.

The post is a wrestling match because there’s not enough quality bigs, so they let the average college big who isn’t very good get away with a lot. The pro quality guys are the ones who are getting shafted, not the other way around. 

37 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Exactly.  And to me that is a charge.  Go look highlights of Shaq at LSU up.  You can tell how different the game was called because he doesn't do the butt backdown he did in the NBA.  Edey does the butt backdown.

Look at what a charge was at 2:20, that kind of stuff happens on almost every post play now.

Another thing about those highlights is Bill Walton was actually coherent and actually followed the game.