Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

11 minutes ago, rico said:

Like it or not, Edey is pretty damn good.  He is changing games at the college level much like Sampson, Ewing, and Hakeem did years ago.  The kid is a beast.  

I know and I'm all for it.

When it comes to competition, you always want to play the best to see where you stack up. If he is that guy this year, then it will be awesome to see how IU & TJD take on the challenge of stopping him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Like it or not, Edey is pretty damn good.  He is changing games at the college level much like Sampson, Ewing, and Hakeem did years ago.  The kid is a beast.  

If only Calbert still had eligibility

At 7-foot-1 and 294 pounds, Shaquille O’Neal was no small second round task for a No. 2 seed Indiana squad that once again had Final Four aspirations.

O’Neal’s stat line for the 1991-92 season was almost as imposing as he was:  24.1 points, 14 rebounds and 5.2 blocks per game.  The two-time consensus All-American and SEC player of the year was going to be a considerable challenge for an Indiana team that had no one in its regular rotation above 6-foot-9.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/this-date-in-hoosier-history-indiana-slays-shaq-and-lsu-in-round-of-32/

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rico said:

It’s so hard for me to put ZE15 into a category with those guys 

if ZE15 & TJD played 30 years ago I doubt they dominate as much 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

It’s so hard for me to put ZE15 into a category with those guys 

if ZE15 & TJD played 30 years ago I doubt they dominate as much 

Those guys had lots more team success and notoriety but I put Zach in there.

They would dominate.  They both would rip Christian Laetner a new one.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Oh god @rico, you've gone and made him mad disparaging players from before his kids were born. 

I think people(Scott) would be surprised how Edey's numbers stack up against Sampson, Ewing, and Olajuwon.  I can tell you Zach is better FT shooter than the other 3.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I know and I'm all for it.

When it comes to competition, you always want to play the best to see where you stack up. If he is that guy this year, then it will be awesome to see how IU & TJD take on the challenge of stopping him.

This matchup should determine the B10 POTY and maybe even the National POTY.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

58 minutes ago, rico said:

I think people(Scott) would be surprised how Edey's numbers stack up against Sampson, Ewing, and Olajuwon.  I can tell you Zach is better FT shooter than the other 3.

Maybe that has to do with the fact that Edey doesn't have to go against another big guy like those guys did. He does have something in common with Sampson and Olaguwan and that they haven't won a championship.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe that has to do with the fact that Edey doesn't have to go against another big guy like those guys did. He does have something in common with Sampson and Olaguwan and that they haven't won a championship.

Meh.  Edey has went up against formidable bigs.  And btw Scott, the other 3 all played in a FF.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

How can you compare the guys those players went up against versus who Edey goes up against? Tough to compare especially from so long ago versus today. 

21 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How can you compare the guys those players went up against versus who Edey goes up against? Tough to compare especially from so long ago versus today. 

It's easy when you operate as if everything before the end of the Cold War was good, and everything since then is bad. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, rico said:

Per CBS:

Edey is pacing toward a season with at least 775 points, 453 rebounds and 77 blocked shots. Sports Reference's database only brings up one player to clear those benchmarks in a single season: David Robinson in 1986-87.

I thought Big Dog would’ve hit those numbers but he was short by like 100 rebounds and like 40 blocks.