IU football program going forward.

IU Scott

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Given our trouble on line I'm not real sure what to think of this sort of move. Either it means we really still need help....or maybe the kid thinks his fastest way to play time is making the move?? Just seems odd.

Ehh.. multi sport athlete in HS... believe he also has long arms. Those are good starting points for OTs. Wasn't he listed at 6'6 280 last year? He could be 6'6 300lbs tomorrow as well as they can put weight on those dudes. 

Maybe we aren't there yet... but it seems we (football in general) is favoring the 6'5-67 300-315lbs dudes that can move at tackle.

I think it might also signify that we like other dudes on the interior DL... probably, namely.. Marcus Burris. 

• Like 2

Wow.  Some surprising info. I think I knew about Murphy already but surprised Robbins isn’t going to play.  Maybe he has a good job lined up already.  

Cooper Jones at OL.  I’m surprised but @btownqb gave a good assessment.   He’s got length and he was a heck of an athlete coming in.   Football does lend itself to tons of position changes.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Few names that got my attention:

Gotta get Jaylin Lucas the ball different ways. 

Cooper sounds like he’s going to be a player this year.  Mentioned how explosive Perry can be.

TE: Steinfeldt improving.  Wants a TE like Hendershot who can block in-line but also catch down the seam.  Thinks Brody Foley can be like that.  Sam West adding good weight to be ready for physicality of the B1G. Called him a pleasant surprise and athletic. 

Carter Smith first name he mentioned on the O-line.  Fiacable getting better.   Very complimentary of the “no nonsense” new O line coach Bostad and the emphasis on toughness, fundamentals and physicality.  Mentioned that they are getting tripped up on stunts and games the D-line throws at them in terms of who’s picking up whom.  But that’s what practice is for.

Edge.  Carr showing a burst we need and Carter is a physical presence on the other side.  Carr and Myles Jackson competing. 

Safety.  Likes our depth.  Juco transfer McDaniel is a leader and physical.  Likes how he tackles.  Mentioned Sanguinetti, Bonds, Dunnam, Pierre.  

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 9:37 AM, IndyHoosier22 said:

Any knowledge on who looks the best out of the young QB’s right now?

Very good question.  Allen had a PC this morning. The first question is on that point.  The short answer is Sorbsy and Tayven both are going back and forth but the good news is both can run the offense.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-recruiting-expenses-by-conference-sec-stands-out-as-georgia-spends-big-for-success-in-2022/

I wasn't sure where to put this....Is it any wonder why we bring up the rear of the league when we spend so little on recruiting? Harbaugh spent 3 1/2 times more than we did last year. The 5 year averages are interesting as well. I can only think that Wisconsin's being so low is due to their dependence on recruiting in-state kids. 

We certainly have the $$$. Need to start spending close to what the big boys are devoting to recruiting if we want to say, in all honesty, that we're trying to build a football program.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 3:12 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-recruiting-expenses-by-conference-sec-stands-out-as-georgia-spends-big-for-success-in-2022/

I wasn't sure where to put this....Is it any wonder why we bring up the rear of the league when we spend so little on recruiting? Harbaugh spent 3 1/2 times more than we did last year. The 5 year averages are interesting as well. I can only think that Wisconsin's being so low is due to their dependence on recruiting in-state kids. 

We certainly have the $$$. Need to start spending close to what the big boys are devoting to recruiting if we want to say, in all honesty, that we're trying to build a football program.

Or it could be the old saying no reason to throw good money after bad. We already sunk a ton into an underperforming coach…how much do we try to prop him up or do we say prove it and we will get you more recruiting budget. 

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Or it could be the old saying no reason to throw good money after bad. We already sunk a ton into an underperforming coach…how much do we try to prop him up or do we say prove it and we will get you more recruiting budget. 

IMO, it’s all about the Jimmys and Joes. Coach is only as good as the talent he has to work with. It’s not like the university is cash strapped with all the television money it receives. I agree with using a good part of the revenue to improve the campus, but certainly there can be more spent to improve the quality of talent on the field 

35 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

IMO, it’s all about the Jimmys and Joes. Coach is only as good as the talent he has to work with. It’s not like the university is cash strapped with all the television money it receives. I agree with using a good part of the revenue to improve the campus, but certainly there can be more spent to improve the quality of talent on the field 

Haven’t they upgraded the stadium and facilities already? I’m sure if money would help close the deal on some guys they would spend it. I just don’t see us having any business playing in the deep end where that kind of money would matter. We aren’t playing in 4 and 5* water where that money matters….we are in the kiddie pool where Mc D money is enough to close the deal.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Haven’t they upgraded the stadium and facilities already? I’m sure if money would help close the deal on some guys they would spend it. I just don’t see us having any business playing in the deep end where that kind of money would matter. We aren’t playing in 4 and 5* water where that money matters….we are in the kiddie pool where Mc D money is enough to close the deal.

I guess if you set the bar low enough you’ll eventually find success 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I guess if you set the bar low enough you’ll eventually find success 

IU has basically historically the worst football program of any power 5 conference. My expectations are low and I enjoy being pleasantly surprised occasionally. I’ve seen nothing the past two years to lead me to believe anything is going to magically get better on the field by just throwing money at it. The program isn’t bad because of a lack of funding or lack of resources. It’s bad because it’s been run horribly through the years. There is a thin margin for success in the B1G East Division. Trying to build a program like Michigan and Ohio St should not be our priority at this point. We need some innovative thinkers and coaching…and I don’t see that in Allen. Super nice guy….super positive and great with the kids…but when you can’t stand in front of a team and beat them face to face…like the Penn St, Michigans, and Ohio St…you need to build your program differently. I’m just not seeing that being done in his staff nor with the players we are bringing in.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1