Elon Post Game

Inequality

Hard to read too much into that game with so many guys out, but nice to see guys like Gunn and Duncomb get into double figure with extended minutes. 

The three healthy starters all showed up and did what we needed them to do.

The stretch between now and at Illinois is a really important stretch; gotta get guys healthy, get a few guys to develop more, and stack up some wins before we hit the meat of our conference schedule. 

• Like 3

Maybe got a slight view of what next year could he like. The four freshman, Banks and Duncomb shows signsbthat they have good abilities.  Those 6 really had to put in a lot of work on their games and their bodies in the off s asian.  If they do that is a very good start to next year's roster. Add Newton and Cupps and hopefully a couple of transfers

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe got a slight view of what next year could he like. The four freshman, Banks and Duncomb shows signsbthat they have good abilities.  Those 6 really had to put in a lot of work on their games and their bodies in the off s asian.  If they do that is a very good start to next year's roster. Add Newton and Cupps and hopefully a couple of transfers

With the right additions, we may be a year away from seeing CMW's vision of IU basketball. I really like what Gunn and Banks can be. I'm not as pessimistic about next year as some.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, cthomas said:

With the right additions, we may be a year away from seeing CMW's vision of IU basketball. I really like what Gunn and Banks can be. I'm not as pessimistic about next year as some.

To me the younger guys seem more confident players and know they have talent. It is probably hard for the younger guys to come in and try to take the team over due to all of the upperclassman on the team. Sometimes the older players just don't seem confident in their skills and seem to play less aggressive

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe I'm following the wrong guys on twitter or elsewhere. It's a holiday week game with guys out. I swear sometimes once again the program referendum takes are just so lazy and void of thought. 

Yeah.... what did anyone really expect? We won with ease and saw some nice things from young guys in extended minutes. 

Where we supposed to make 80% of our shots and hold them to 30 points? 

• Like 3

A couple of things...

Before the game I saw one of the referees go up to X and it was kinda obvious that he asked about the injury. When X answered, he winced, and dropped his head. I didn't take that as a good sign...

The announcers said Woody put them through the paces before the game. Said it was more a pretty intense practice than a shoot around. Maybe some of the talk about his practices got back to him?

I loved CJ's intensity. He gambles a lot on D and that's not good, and someone else said he gets a little too "handsy" (which is true) and gets called for nickel-dime fouls, but he's got a great motor. I think in coming years he'll be a good one for us. Put some weight on kid, and keep working on that game. Very confident too. He'll take it to the hole with conviction. 

Banks looked a lot more comfortable... He had a good game. Keep working until you can do that against the big boys.

Duncomb may not wow you with his grace, but he plays hard and has some skill.

This last one... I know Mike Woodson knows million X what I do about basketball, but I'm wondering if starting Bates over Galloway is the best path. Against good teams we need Tamar's offense starting the game in the worst way. He's not that far from Trey defensively either, in my estimation. He's a key to our season. And I like the way he deferred to the kids who don't get a lot of playing time in the 2nd half. I don't think he took a shot. 3-3 in the first half, and then he let them have their day. Didn't force anything. I think he's a great teammate too...

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This last one... I know Mike Woodson knows million X what I do about basketball, but I'm wondering if starting Bates over Galloway is the best path. Against good teams we need Tamar's offense starting the game in the worst way. He's not that far from Trey defensively either, in my estimation. He's a key to our season. And I like the way he deferred to the kids who don't get a lot of playing time in the 2nd half. I don't think he took a shot. 3-3 in the first half, and then he let them have their day. Didn't force anything. I think he's a great teammate too..

I agree about starting Bates, for all the reasons you mentioned plus because I think Galloway is more impactful off of the bench as guy providing a jolt of energy. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

A couple of things...

Before the game I saw one of the referees go up to X and it was kinda obvious that he asked about the injury. When X answered, he winced, and dropped his head. I didn't take that as a good sign...

The announcers said Woody put them through the paces before the game. Said it was more a pretty intense practice than a shoot around. Maybe some of the talk about his practices got back to him?

I loved CJ's intensity. He gambles a lot on D and that's not good, and someone else said he gets a little too "handsy" (which is true) and gets called for nickel-dime fouls, but he's got a great motor. I think in coming years he'll be a good one for us. Put some weight on kid, and keep working on that game. Very confident too. He'll take it to the hole with conviction. 

Banks looked a lot more comfortable... He had a good game. Keep working until you can do that against the big boys.

Duncomb may not wow you with his grace, but he plays hard and has some skill.

This last one... I know Mike Woodson knows million X what I do about basketball, but I'm wondering if starting Bates over Galloway is the best path. Against good teams we need Tamar's offense starting the game in the worst way. He's not that far from Trey defensively either, in my estimation. He's a key to our season. And I like the way he deferred to the kids who don't get a lot of playing time in the 2nd half. I don't think he took a shot. 3-3 in the first half, and then he let them have their day. Didn't force anything. I think he's a great teammate too...

Agree except on Bates…for now. Woody wants to set the tone with defense. Bates has the will but is out of position often. If I remember correctly last night, 2 of those wide open threes seemed to be on him. 

Also, I think without XJ Woody wanted a more reliable ball handler in the lineup. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Agree except on Bates…for now. Woody wants to set the tone with defense. Bates has the will but is out of position often. If I remember correctly last night, 2 of those wide open threes seemed to be on him. 

Also, I think without XJ Woody wanted a more reliable ball handler in the lineup. 

But we're falling behind early against good teams because when they double Trayce, we can't score. We need more players than Miller Kopp to be able to make shots. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Yeah, it's a tough call on Bates. They need his offense in the lineup, but in addition to some missed defensive assignments, he's foul prone. I think Trey is better coming off the bench than he is starting. He didn't contribute anything to start the game last night. Overall, I thought that was one of his worst performances. I've been impressed with how Bates has been able to check into a game cold and immediately knock down a shot. Maybe we currently have two sixth men and no starter at the two spot. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 1

Was able to watch the game last night and I enjoyed watching the bench get so much playing time. Gunn and Duncomb were both pleasant surprises and I’m really intrigued by Banks. He looks kind of awkward on the court a lot of times, but then he just zips one direction and then the ball is in the hoop somehow. 

Bates’ shot is really starting to look silky as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Woody did say in the post game that he can't have JHS going 40 minutes per game, and that Galloway, Bates, Gunn, and Leal have to take some minutes handling the ball and running the offense... 

In an earlier post game (Nebraska maybe?) Coach Woodson said we brought Tamar in to be a starting 2... I'm with you that he's got some flaws, but I think he's developing nicely... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

But we're falling behind early against good teams because when they double Trayce, we can't score. We need more players than Miller Kopp to be able to make shots. 

I'm thinking Woody is using these games to try some different things out. I think Logan and Tamar could have started. We'll see if he changes lineups / substitutions at all on Fri. It was very evident early on vs Elon that we didn't have anyone willing to score other than Kopp. Malik tried but couldn't deliver. Race eventually figured it out and took over. We need that from him out of the gate. Taking way too long to fort he offense to gel. JHS, Bates, Kopp, Race and TJD / Malik/ Logan is our best bet to get off to a quicker start. Slow starts doomed us vs AZ and KS. Got to get that figured out ASAP. 

59 minutes ago, Coach Shep said:

Great to see guards playing team ball, finishing at the basket without losing the ball on the way up or shooting an air ball lay up. Shooting numbers also moved to the positive.

Our starting point guard had 5 turnovers last night, to go along with his 5 from last game, mostly of the flashy, unnecessary variety. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah, it's a tough call on Bates. They need his offense in the lineup, but in addition to some missed defensive assignments, he's foul prone. I think Trey is better coming off the bench than he is starting. He didn't contribute anything to start the game last night. Overall, I thought that was one of his worst performances. I've been impressed with how Bates has been able to check into a game cold and immediately knock down a shot. Maybe we currently have two sixth men and no starter at the two spot. 

I didn't make a pregame score prediction or rearrange my day to watch the game live (4pm here on the west coast) because I wasn't expecting much other than CMW getting some good run for the middle/end of the bench, which he did.

As @IUFLA pointed out, Bates was controlled and didn't try to force anything in the second half.

Galloway on the other hand, did seem to. And it's not so much his shot, but his passing and awareness. It was glaring in the loss to Kansas, but also apparent last night; he just didn't seem to have purpose or sharpness with his passes. Lots of lazy (for him) plays that resulted in TOs and/or bad positioning.

There's no question that he's a hard worker, just seems his focus is off a bit. Maybe with X out, he's subconsciously feeling like he has to do more?