Kennesaw St. Post Game

Inequality

Felt like a perfect storm for an upset. Shorthanded team playing in a dull atmosphere due to students being gone and bad weather. This was the type of game you're more relieved to not lose than to win. 

Race was MIA again.

Reneau is unplayable right now. 

Geronimo made some clutch free throws in the second half, but did nothing in the first half to suggest he should play more.

Duncomb looked like a low-major center the one time he got the ball. 

Bates, Galloway and JHS won the game for us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Felt like a perfect storm for an upset. Shorthanded team playing in a dull atmosphere due to students being gone and bad weather. This was the type of game you're more relieved to not lose than to win. 

Race was MIA again.

Reneau is unplayable right now. 

Geronimo made some clutch free throws in the second half, but did nothing in the first half to suggest he should play more.

Duncomb looked like a low-major center the one time he got the ball. 

Bates, Galloway and JHS won the game for us. 

Race didn't score much but did have 14 rebounds

Glad we got out with a win, not ideal circumstances between the weather, timing with Christmas, and injuries.

Tamar and JHS may be developing into what we need. Can really envision those two playing like they ddi tonight, with TJD back, could be very tough to guard.

Was nice to see Galloway have a solid game, it seems like he’s been Jekyll and Hyde this season.

I could definitely see a closing lineup at some point developing of JHS, Tamar, Galloway, Kopp, and TJD. Race would likely still start, then round out the rotation with Geronimo and Reneau. Would really like X back at some point because our small ball lineup is needed, IMO, but we don’t really have the depth for it for 40 minutes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

14 point win

KSU made 7 threes in the first half and 3 threes in the second half (I think only one of those wasn’t contested) . A difference of 12 points. 

wish they would’ve made that adjustments sooner, but at least they figured it out. 

It was actually 6 in the first half and 4 in the second. They did seem like they were more reluctant to shoot in the second half. 

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Would like to see more innovation on O and more toughness on D. Perhaps we are holding back to not show anything to upcoming opponents.  Some winnable games coming up in-conference.  

I think we saw it some in the second half going small. Imagine TJD playing the role than Race did… going to get a lot of dunks or open threes off of that action. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It was actually 6 in the first half and 4 in the second. They did seem like they were more reluctant to shoot in the second half. 

I think it was because they were covered. Haha. The only open 3 I remember them getting in the second half was when Bates went under the screen. 

The emergence of Bates can be huge for us.  This is a contribution that’s a big improvement over last year.  You look at Bates, Kopp and Galloway and all of a sudden you’ve got a rotation on the wing that can be quite good.  We haven’t had that.  

JHS is a stud but running a big time offense as a freshman is a learning experience.  

But if you get JHS to develop and Bates et al to keep getting better on the wings, the whole dynamic of this team changes for the people who complain that we are the same team that sucked last year.  

Ultimately, will these parts continue to develop and mesh together? It can still happen. I’m not saying it’s a slam dunk or going to be easy, but there are reasons to believe things can come together.  

• Like 8

I’ll take a short handed win two days before Christmas against a pesky opponent every day of the week and twice on Christmas. 

There is no denying the first half was brutal, but in a vacuum the 2nd was okay. The slow starts are an issue that have to get rectified quickly with B1G play coming. We start like that at Iowa and we are down 20 at the half. I have no clue what the answer is. 

It’s going to take a few games for these guys to learn to play without X. Hopefully everyone settles into their adjusted roles sooner rather than later. 

I mentioned in the MVP thread that Bates is growing into the player we all hoped he would be. That fact makes me as happy as anything regarding IU basketball right now. 

• Like 9

I have to remind myself that we are expecting a lot from JHS, (esp with X out) but he's only a Freshman. I remember Yogi being not being perfect his freshman year either. Made turnovers, bad passes, had glimpes of brilliance, just like JHS.

While these so called "easy win" games may not down go down in IU history, they do provide some valuable experience for the Freshman, and guys at the end of the bench.

And Woody's defensive adjustment at half really made a huge difference. Just wish we would have made it in the first media timeout.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 5

I think some of us, myself included, underestimate any opponent that's not from  P6 conference.

Kennesaw State was experienced, played defense, played hard, has some shooters, and are well coached...

I can see them making some noise in the Atlantic Sun, and giving a 2 or 3 seed trouble if they make the tournament... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

so... obviously i don't know how the guys' mindsets were coming into the game, but part of it could be what someone pointed out about how players were goofing around and working on their dance moves in the previous game.  can't take any opponent lightly and expect to cruise.  i didn't watch the game very closely, but my son's team scrimmaged KS and lost to them by 10.  my son's team is REALLY bad.  REALLY bad.  that said, not having your all american or PG is a pretty decent excuse too.  

After reflecting on the game with my 20/20 hindsight I wonder why we didn't make the defensive adjustment for their 3 pt shooting "tendencies" on the scout report, and start the game with defense extended to the 3 pt line? Seems to me, that when a team has 30%-50% of their offense from deep, why the scout didn't focus on that...

Maybe Woody ignored it, maybe the scout didn't see it, maybe nobody thought it was an issue. But Woody keeps saying we have to have a defense that will withstand the "what ifs" in a game.

Maybe you guys have an answer. I'm at a  loss.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, DWB said:

I have to remind myself that we are expecting a lot from JHS, (esp with X out) but he's only a Freshman. I remember Yogi being not being perfect his freshman year either. Made turnovers, bad passes, had glimpes of brilliance, just like JHS.

While these so called "easy win" games may not down go down in IU history, they do provide some valuable experience for the Freshman, and guys at the end of the bench.

And Woody's defensive adjustment at half really made a huge difference. Just wish we would have made it in the first media timeout.

What defensive adjustment did we make at halftime?

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

After reflecting on the game with my 20/20 hindsight I wonder why we didn't make the defensive adjustment for their 3 pt shooting "tendencies" on the scout report, and start the game with defense extended to the 3 pt line? Seems to me, that when a team has 30%-50% of their offense from deep, why the scout didn't focus on that...

Maybe Woody ignored it, maybe the scout didn't see it, maybe nobody thought it was an issue. But Woody keeps saying we have to have a defense that will withstand the "what ifs" in a game.

Maybe you guys have an answer. I'm at a  loss.

I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. While not a perfect defensive performance but we held them to 27 in 1H. 

42 minutes ago, DWB said:

We exended the defense out to the 3 pt line. Bates even said so in the post game presser.

I think they played harder, and a little more focused. He didn't mention a halftime adjustment, I just listened to it. Going into this game they extended in general. Had to. 

Plus they switched more off the ball. 

Edited by btownqb

TJD took a contingent of like 5 guys and they huddled, danced around for about 20 secs... and then everyone went back to warmups. 

Seemed pretty normal and something that happens every game. 

I don't think anyone will mistaken any of our guys for Michael Jackson, but it certainly seemed.. "not newsworthy". 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I think some of us, myself included, underestimate any opponent that's not from  P6 conference.

Kennesaw State was experienced, played defense, played hard, has some shooters, and are well coached...

I can see them making some noise in the Atlantic Sun, and giving a 2 or 3 seed trouble if they make the tournament... 

I read that they are expected to win their conference 

• Like 1