Iowa Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

41 minutes ago, DWB said:

To me it all comes down to:

• Does team Jekyl show up, or
  • Does team Hyde show up.

Frankly, I'm worried we won't show up until the 2nd half again, and that may be too late.

I think Woody's move to start Tamar is all about getting a faster start offensively...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think Woody's move to start Tamar is all about getting a faster start offensively...

Hope you're right, but I think it takes more than one to get us off to a faster start. Not sure who, but somebody.

I know it won't happen, but just once, I'd like to see Logan at the 5 and TJD at the 4 for about 3-4 minutes.

Edited by DWB

This is a big game. IU needs a road win in what may be one of the most winnable conference road games they will have. If they play D at a high level, take care of the ball, and work through TJD, then I like their chances. 

I am concerned about Tamar starting. The gamble here is he will provide more on offense than he gives up on D. But if you watch him through the season, he is out of position on defense probably more than anyone on the team AND when the ball goes up he's a spectator. Maybe this is his opportunity to really show what he can do. On the other hand, he may try to do too much and that's not good either.

Edited by Euroclydon

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I know a lot of people think losing XJ kills our chances at challenging for the Big 10 title...But, are we really losing a lot by putting the ball in the hands of JHS and starting Bates, with Galloway coming off the bench?

Here are the per game totals for JHS vs XJ...

image.png.8f47e7d352d69f66d46224a3b58e7a49.png

Not a lot of discrepancy there...I do think XJ is a better on the ball defender, and JHS is a better rebounder, but beyond that, the numbers are very similar...

But I think Tamar is the key...In his last 5 games, these are his numbers...

image.png.5ce11d2970a02c9cf63d3ab07e01494b.png

He's gotta have close to those numbers for us to win on the road...

The other key, to me, is Race's defense on Kris Murray...Murray has matured into something close to his brother Keegan...20 ppg and 10 boards...If Race can clamp down on him like he did in the BTT, I think we have an excellent shot at this one...Rebraca has been their only other offensive threat lately, and Trayce simply dominates him...18 points and 11 boards in the first game, 31 and 10 in the second, while Rebraca had 4 points and 4 boards in the regular season game, and 0 points and 4 boards in the tournament...

Let's see if we've progressed going on the road...

I don’t think we can look at it just in terms of X vs JHS.

It is also X vs (now) Bates. Maybe Bates takes this chance and runs with it, but maybe not  

It is the impact on our bench and depth. We have very little margin for error on the perimeter now. And based on how we peaked last year and the little we’ve seen of it this year, a perimeter oriented offense is our best offense. Harder to play 4 out without perimeter depth.

It isn’t impossible that we can overcome those things, but it certainly isn’t ideal. Hindsight is 20/20, but I’d have loved to pickup Ketchup in the offseason if this is our best way to play. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t think we can look at it just in terms of X vs JHS.

It is also X vs (now) Bates. Maybe Bates takes this chance and runs with it, but maybe not  

It is the impact on our bench and depth. We have very little margin for error on the perimeter now. And based on how we peaked last year and the little we’ve seen of it this year, a perimeter oriented offense is our best offense. Harder to play 4 out without perimeter depth.

It isn’t impossible that we can overcome those things, but it certainly isn’t ideal. Hindsight is 20/20, but I’d have loved to pickup Ketchup in the offseason if this is our best way to play. 

I know you don't believe that JHS equals XJ, but I'm not so sure...especially since he's being entrusted with running the offense on his own...the JHS that came out of the gate vs UNC is what we need out of him...

Looking at Iowa's backcourt, I don't think it's beyond reason that Woody gets Gunn some time... He's more athletic than any of their guards and he plays hard all the time... His mistakes are those of inexperience...

I also think Malik might have a game... 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I know you don't believe that JHS equals XJ, but I'm not so sure...especially since he's being entrusted with running the offense on his own...the JHS that came out of the gate vs UNC is what we need out of him...

Looking at Iowa's backcourt, I don't think it's beyond reason that Woody gets Gunn some time... He's more athletic than any of their guards and he plays hard all the time... His mistakes are those of inexperience...

I also think Malik might have a game... 

it’s not that I don’t believe JHS equals XJ, it’s just that I believe there’s more to it than that. It’s all the things I mentioned in my post which have nothing to do with XJ or JHS being better than the other.

In terms of Iowa, who is kinda hot garbage, yes it’s possible Gunn and Malik give us a lift. But long term I’m not at all to the point of feeling like Gunn is going to contribute in most conference games. Would love to be wrong. 

• Like 2

I hope the last day has shown us that either win or lose we should not let the outcome effect us so much.  We just see players as robots who are out there to entertain us. We forget they are young men who are just like the rest of us and go through the same problems. I just hope for myself I can remember this during games and hope the rest will do the same.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hope the last day has shown us that either win or lose we should not let the outcome effect us so much.  We just see players as robots who are out there to entertain us. We forget they are young men who are just like the rest of us and go through the same problems. I just hope for myself I can remember this during games and hope the rest will do the same.

Is this the same speech you give to the Little Leaguer’s parents?

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

it’s not that I don’t believe JHS equals XJ, it’s just that I believe there’s more to it than that. It’s all the things I mentioned in my post which have nothing to do with XJ or JHS being better than the other.

In terms of Iowa, who is kinda hot garbage, yes it’s possible Gunn and Malik give us a lift. But long term I’m not at all to the point of feeling like Gunn is going to contribute in most conference games. Would love to be wrong. 

I just reread your post...

I don't think Coach Woodson has any intention of going true 4 out, 1 in... Some combination of Race/Trayce/Malik/Geronimo are going to be out there for close to 40 minutes...

We may have seen it vs Kennesaw State, but I don't think we'll see it in Big 10 play... 

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just reread your post...

I don't think Coach Woodson has any intention of going true 4 out, 1 in... Some combination of Race/Trayce/Malik/Geronimo are going to be out there for close to 40 minutes...

We may have seen it vs Kennesaw State, but I don't think we'll see it in Big 10 play... 

I tend to agree in terms of personnel, especially with X out. I do think we will see a lot more offense with Race or Geronimo position on the perimeter.

Ive been saying it for a while (think you and I are on the same page), we need Race (and Jordan) to keep taking and making perimeter shots. Race is on a nice trajectory really dating back to mid February of last year. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I tend to agree in terms of personnel, especially with X out. I do think we will see a lot more offense with Race or Geronimo position on the perimeter.

Ive been saying it for a while (think you and I are on the same page), we need Race (and Jordan) to keep taking and making perimeter shots. Race is on a nice trajectory really dating back to mid February of last year. 

Oh, definitely...

Both need to just step into it and shoot it... No fakes, jab steps... Just catch the damn thing and shoot it in rhythm...

Not that I want high volume for either, but you're right, they do have to take them... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I know a lot of people think losing XJ kills our chances at challenging for the Big 10 title...But, are we really losing a lot by putting the ball in the hands of JHS and starting Bates, with Galloway coming off the bench?

Here are the per game totals for JHS vs XJ...

image.png.8f47e7d352d69f66d46224a3b58e7a49.png

Not a lot of discrepancy there...I do think XJ is a better on the ball defender, and JHS is a better rebounder, but beyond that, the numbers are very similar...

But I think Tamar is the key...In his last 5 games, these are his numbers...

image.png.5ce11d2970a02c9cf63d3ab07e01494b.png

He's gotta have close to those numbers for us to win on the road...

The other key, to me, is Race's defense on Kris Murray...Murray has matured into something close to his brother Keegan...20 ppg and 10 boards...If Race can clamp down on him like he did in the BTT, I think we have an excellent shot at this one...Rebraca has been their only other offensive threat lately, and Trayce simply dominates him...18 points and 11 boards in the first game, 31 and 10 in the second, while Rebraca had 4 points and 4 boards in the regular season game, and 0 points and 4 boards in the tournament...

Let's see if we've progressed going on the road...

I agree.

You can see that Tamar looks ready to bust out.

JHS needs to cut down on TOs and let his own offense come to him.  If Tamar busts out, I think that will reduce the need for JHS to score.  He can then concentrate on the other things.  With the other guys scoring he will then have a chance to use his mid-range game and driving ability.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, slojoe said:

I agree.

JHS needs to cut down on TOs and let his own offense come to him.  If Tamar busts out, I think that will reduce the need for JHS to score.  He can then concentrate on the other things.  With the other guys scoring he will then have a chance to use his mid-range game and driving ability.

I agree.  Let JHS focus on playmaking and score when it comes to him.  It will require development but it would be good for him and the team IMO.   Prove you can run a high level offense.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree.  Let JHS focus on playmaking and score when it comes to him.  It will require development but it would be good for him and the team IMO.   Prove you can run a high level offense.  

That's basically what he did at Montverde... 

• Like 1

So good for a game to happen again. Love the move for Tamar to start. Never underestimate what a couple of early 3's does to a teams confidence and by the way....he's really frickin good too.

Plus Trey is mentally tough enough to know not starting isn't a demotion. He knows we need his spark more with 2nd unit. Good to have a game again. 2 weeks without IU good or bad in the middle of the winter is no bueno.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, slojoe said:

I agree.

Ostensibly, Woodson moving Tamar into the starting lineup is purposeful for a 'quicker' start. Are we all comfortable with him pushing the issue and trying to generate offense? It would seem counter-intuitive to have him start and be reserved/'let the game come to him', right?

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Ostensibly, Woodson moving Tamar into the starting lineup is purposeful for a 'quicker' start. Are we all comfortable with him pushing the issue and trying to generate offense? It would seem counter-intuitive to have him start and be reserved/'let the game come to him', right?

I don't think he'll be reserved. There were a couple games this year where he checked in from the bench and nailed a three right away. 

• Like 1