Iowa Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

20 minutes ago, DWB said:

I thought X was out for an "extended" period of time, like maybe the rest of the season. Do you have some new info? 

I know TJD welcomes the rest period with his back issue, but hadn't heard anything about X coming back anytime soon.

Nothing new but we are 1 week removed from surgery. Another week will go by before we start....just saying every week we can buy time without X the better we'll all be.

In terms of recovery...he's a high level college athlete with every trick of quick recovery at his disposal. Without knowing the exact  type of break or fracture normal people healing time is 6-12 weeks so I like him on the low end of that range.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Nothing new but we are 1 week removed from surgery. Another week will go by before we start....just saying every week we can buy time without X the better we'll all be.

In terms of recovery...he's a high level college athlete with every trick of quick recovery at his disposal. Without knowing the exact  type of break or fracture normal people healing time is 6-12 weeks so I like him on the low end of that range.

OK, we're on the same page, guess I read your post wrong. I was under the impression you thought he was coming back for the IA game.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I wish but if I were guessing right now....I'd say we will start hearing things at the end of January. Again depending on severity of break.

My logic says if he needed surgery to repair it, it wasn't a hairline fracture. Actually sounds pretty severe to me, but I'm no medical expert. Woody even said something to the effect that we may not see him again on the floor.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, DWB said:

My logic says if he needed surgery to repair it, it wasn't a hairline fracture. Actually sounds pretty severe to me, but I'm no medical expert. Woody even said something to the effect that we may not see him again on the floor.

Probably wishful thinking on my part I don't know. All depends on severity and that we'll never know. If by Feb 1st we aren't hearing a sniff of him that tells me it was a really bad break. 

Last I heard the team went home for the holidays, and were to report for practice after Christmas. Not exactly sure of the date, but I want to say 27-28th. Might even be later.

I don't follow anybody on twitter, you might want to check there for more info.

Edited by DWB

2 hours ago, DWB said:

Last I heard the team went home for the holidays, and were to report for practice after Christmas. Not exactly sure of the date, but I want to say 27-28th. Might even be later.

I don't follow anybody on twitter, you might want to check there for more info.

Pretty sure Woody sa12/28 in his KSU post-game presser. That said,  wonder how many had flights booked on Southwest? 

Sounds like Bates is starting with Galloway coming off the bench vs Iowa: https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/mike-woodson-says-tamar-bates-will-start-against-iowa/. I like the move, should improve the starting units offensive punch. Also like that Coach Woodson is willing to switch up the starting lineup since we’ve been horrible at the start of several games.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Sounds like Bates is starting with Galloway coming off the bench vs Iowa: https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/mike-woodson-says-tamar-bates-will-start-against-iowa/. I like the move, should improve the starting units offensive punch. Also like that Coach Woodson is willing to switch up the starting lineup since we’ve been horrible at the start of several games.

I think that's a good move... Trading offense for defense, and Iowa is weak at the guard position...

Get Tamar started early because you know Fran will double Trayce and we need to make shots... 

I know a lot of people think losing XJ kills our chances at challenging for the Big 10 title...But, are we really losing a lot by putting the ball in the hands of JHS and starting Bates, with Galloway coming off the bench?

Here are the per game totals for JHS vs XJ...

image.png.8f47e7d352d69f66d46224a3b58e7a49.png

Not a lot of discrepancy there...I do think XJ is a better on the ball defender, and JHS is a better rebounder, but beyond that, the numbers are very similar...

But I think Tamar is the key...In his last 5 games, these are his numbers...

image.png.5ce11d2970a02c9cf63d3ab07e01494b.png

He's gotta have close to those numbers for us to win on the road...

The other key, to me, is Race's defense on Kris Murray...Murray has matured into something close to his brother Keegan...20 ppg and 10 boards...If Race can clamp down on him like he did in the BTT, I think we have an excellent shot at this one...Rebraca has been their only other offensive threat lately, and Trayce simply dominates him...18 points and 11 boards in the first game, 31 and 10 in the second, while Rebraca had 4 points and 4 boards in the regular season game, and 0 points and 4 boards in the tournament...

Let's see if we've progressed going on the road...

Edited by IUFLA