Pick Your Sports Championship

5fouls

25 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

growing up in the Region all we got was DePaul. Loved Coach Ray Meyer.

Wasn’t until college that I finally realized there was an IU team. My friends quickly brought me up to speed!

Grew up in Elmhurst but family was all Indiana...but we did love us some Depaul...but as a kid when Zeke said yes to IU we said adios to Depaul.

We only got about 3-4 IU games a year. Usually when they were playing the downstate cash machine that Lou had....or Lute's teams at Iowa. Iowa  had an announcer that was all time annoying and great at the same time. Used to yell Jam Time for every single Gerry Wright dunk. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Why is that hard to imagine. If you never got to see ir hear a team play how could you be a fan of that team. The only player I had heard of from IU was Anthony Thompson because he was in the Heisman running. 

If a person grew up out of state but went to IU, you can't see how they could like different teams??

I was a fan of the Angel's a few years ago because a kid from our town was pitching for them. Lots of reasons to like different teams. As kids we learn to like teams we can see, that win and ate relevant and for me IU football was 0 for 3 in that category but ND was 3 for 3

I’m in the same boat. Grew up in Central KY a huge IU fan bc my Dad is from Evansville (huge RMK fan). My mom is from Jersey and I got Penn St football from my grandfather on that side. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I didn’t go to IU, went to pUKe to play baseball.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Why is that hard to imagine. If you never got to see ir hear a team play how could you be a fan of that team. The only player I had heard of from IU was Anthony Thompson because he was in the Heisman running. 

If a person grew up out of state but went to IU, you can't see how they could like different teams??

I was a fan of the Angel's a few years ago because a kid from our town was pitching for them. Lots of reasons to like different teams. As kids we learn to like teams we can see, that win and ate relevant and for me IU football was 0 for 3 in that category but ND was 3 for 3

ND basketball was in TV all the time and watched many games but never became a fan of theirs. I didn't mind ND basketball but couldn't stand their football program. The only time I ever changed rooting interest in teams was in 1984 when I became a Colts fan.  Before that I was a Cowboys fan but once we got our own team I became a Colts fan.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

A lot of them were televised on channel 4. Me and the Old Man never missed an IU basketball game if it was on... I don't know how many games they broadcast in 71, but we pretty much watched every one we could...

They broadcast a lot of Purdue games too... In 1969 they showed a bunch with Rick Mount and Billy Keller playing...

I watched because I love Big 10 basketball, but I despised them even then... 

IU football was usually on maybe once or twice a year. Every IU basketball game was on TV

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

After we got cable (1973 or do? 13 whole channels!) we saw a lot of DePaul games too... Remember the Dave Corzine/Gary Garland teams from around 77... 

Depaul was on NBC game of the week a lot back in the early 80's. It seemed like ND, UK, IU, UCLA was on about every weekend on the game of the week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

ND basketball was in TV all the time and watched many games but never became a fan of theirs. I didn't mind ND basketball but couldn't stand their football program. The only time I ever changed rooting interest in teams was in 1984 when I became a Colts fan.  Before that I was a Cowboys fan but once we got our own team I became a Colts fan.

I’ve never changed teams, grew up with mine. 

Everton FC (EPL) / FC Cincinnati (MLS)

Penn St Football

IU Basketball

Yankees

*Don’t watch the NFL or NBA. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rico said:

And when did this start?

I remember them being on ABC starting in the mid 80's. Maybe not every year but I do remember them getting a game a year. Also found some old games YouTube during the pandemic. Also found one game against UK in 83 being on CBS, it was Sam Whyce only year at IU.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I remember them being on ABC starting in the mid 80's. Maybe not every year but I do remember them getting a game a year. 

They weren't getting on twice a year until Mallory got us going.  And wtf does "Maybe not every year but I do remember them getting a game a year" exactly mean?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not as good as his old man though, and that's always the measuring stick... 

Ray Meyers were good in the regular season but had a streak of losing their first game of the tournament 3 straight years as a 1 seed. They had a bye so it was like losing in the second round but not good.

1. Indiana Basketball
  2. Indianapolis Colts
  3. Atlanta Braves

I've never seen an IUBB National Championship - I was 5 years old and living in California in 1987 - so that pushes it easily to the top of my list. I was a freshman on campus for the 2002 run, the closest I've been to a banner. It won't be the same in my 40's as it would if I was still a student, but I'd love to experience it all the same. 

Atlanta Braves baseball was the first sports team I ever loved. I've been fortunate enough to see two titles since I became a fan, the most recent just a year ago, and the window is still wide open. That lack of urgency keeps them at third on my list.

I'm not nearly as emotionally engaged in football as I was a few years ago. Andrew Luck's miracle comeback against Kansas City feels like a lifetime ago. And this current version of the Colts is Archie levels of excruciating to watch. That said, when the team was good the whole city celebrated. It's the team I share the most among my friends and family. I'd love to experience another Super Bowl, for the memories and moments it would create along the way.

Pacers would be fourth, for many of the same reasons as the Colts. It's just not a thing that feels like it could ever happen. The NBA feels divided into the haves and have nots, every bit if not more than MLB. We have some good young stars, but without lucking into a superstar I don't know that I will ever expect more than just consistent playoff appearances.

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Maedhros said:
  1. Indiana Basketball
  2. Indianapolis Colts
  3. Atlanta Braves

I've never seen an IUBB National Championship - I was 5 years old and living in California in 1987 - so that pushes it easily to the top of my list. I was a freshman on campus for the 2002 run, the closest I've been to a banner. It won't be the same in my 40's as it would if I was still a student, but I'd love to experience it all the same. 

Atlanta Braves baseball was the first sports team I ever loved. I've been fortunate enough to see two titles since I became a fan, the most recent just a year ago, and the window is still wide open. That lack of urgency keeps them at third on my list.

I'm not nearly as emotionally engaged in football as I was a few years ago. Andrew Luck's miracle comeback against Kansas City feels like a lifetime ago. And this current version of the Colts is Archie levels of excruciating to watch. That said, when the team was good the whole city celebrated. It's the team I share the most among my friends and family. I'd love to experience another Super Bowl, for the memories and moments it would create along the way.

You just made me reminisce, so I’m going to go a bit of a different direction. Growing up in the region with Chicago TV I had the privilege of seeing Gayle Sayers live. The Black Hawks with Stan Mikita, and Mr Cub!

However the direction I’m going is not wishing for sports championships, but what ones you have enjoyed and where do you rank them? For me?

The 1985 Chicago Bears with my all time favorite football player Sweetness!

The 87 Indiana Hoosiers basketball team finishing with the Smart shot! (76 was right up there but not with the dramatics)

The 1984 Detroit Tigers World Series champions! Living in Michigan at the time I was first attracted to the team because they had my all time favorite White Sox player on the team, Chet Lemon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

You just made me reminisce, so I’m going to go a bit of a different direction. Growing up in the region with Chicago TV I had the privilege of seeing Gayle Sayers live. The Black Hawks with Stan Mikita, and Mr Cub!

However the direction I’m going is not wishing for sports championships, but what ones you have enjoyed and where do you rank them? For me?

The 1985 Chicago Bears with my all time favorite football player Sweetness!

The 87 Indiana Hoosiers basketball team finishing with the Smart shot! (76 was right up there but not with the dramatics)

The 1984 Detroit Tigers World Series champions! Living in Michigan at the time I was first attracted to the team because they had my all time favorite White Sox player on the team, Chet Lemon.

Sports don't matter in the grand scheme of things. What matters is those memories made along the way. I'll always cherish that day early in 2007 when my roommate and I showed up at Buffalo Wild Wings at noon for a Super Bowl that didn't begin until 6:30. The bar was already packed, so we grabbed a table to wait for my sister and her friend to drive up from Bloomington. The whole day was a party. Each sports season brings with it the hopes of another experience as good as that one, and some others I've had along the way. It's the only worthwhile reason for getting sad when a season falls short, because that opportunity is lost for another year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Maedhros said:

Sports don't matter in the grand scheme of things. What matters is those memories made along the way. I'll always cherish that day early in 2007 when my roommate and I showed up at Buffalo Wild Wings at noon for a Super Bowl that didn't begin until 6:30. The bar was already packed, so we grabbed a table to wait for my sister and her friend to drive up from Bloomington. The whole day was a party. Each sports season brings with it the hopes of another experience as good as that one, and some others I've had along the way. It's the only worthwhile reason for getting sad when a season falls short, because that opportunity is lost for another year.

Awesome post!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1