Wisconsin Post Game Thread

KDB

I did not watch live!! My wife said IU was on!  I did not watch because I would JINX them!! Been hard on this team for EFFORT! Today the Board said it was good!! I only want IU to be competive every game!If we lose so be it!! Give it you best!! Then our fan base WILL BEHIND YOU LIKE NO OTHER!! GO IU! GREAT EFFORT TODAY TEAM!!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

JHS-- 4 conference games

20p 4r 5a -- 52% from 3

I think the only chink in Jalen's armor at this point are the turnovers at times... 

His defense, particularly in the second half against Hepburn, was stellar... Watching it again, you could see it wasn't what Hepburn did, it's what he didn't do... Against Michigan State and Illinois, he pretty much had the ball in his hands, being the catalyst of the offense... In the second half yesterday, he flat got shut down... And he knew it...

Also props to Reneau and his new found energy and toughness... At about the 7 minute to go mark, he knocked Hepburn on his ass with a screen...

Love it... 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

HSN, let's not always lump "pessimistic" posters in with those that post just to troll.  That's unfair and does nothing to help the homest banter around here.

I don't, but it does get old...

I understand it's a defense mechanism... Because it's more about them and their feelings of frustration than the kids who are on the journey...

@DWB said it... Pessimism either justifies or surprises...

And to be honest, that doesn't bother me at all...

It's when we slip in to the realm of going overboard to make the team and/or the individuals associated with it look bad, up to and including outright falsehoods...

I'm not ok with that... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think the only chink in Jalen's armor at this point are the turnovers at times... 

His defense, particularly in the second half against Hepburn, was stellar... Watching it again, you could see it wasn't what Hepburn did, it's what he didn't do... Against Michigan State and Illinois, he pretty much had the ball in his hands, being the catalyst of the offense... In the second half yesterday, he flat got shut down... And he knew it...

Also props to Reneau and his new found energy and toughness... At about the 7 minute to go mark, he knocked Hepburn on his ass with a screen...

Love it... 

Glad someone brought up Reneau. I forgot to mention him yesterday but he did seem to have that extra step and quickness. Nailing those early shots because he knew he had the mismatch. Will need that Thursday because Underwood will double TJD all game. 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Love it... 

I already commented that I liked the extra effort but I forgot to mention this, we out bullied Wisconsin yesterday.  They are another program (like Rutgers) in the Big Ten that has played bully ball ever since Dracula coached them.  Our program has not responded well to that style of play in the past.  After the Davidson stuff last year, there was nothing more therapeutic than TJD running his dunk parade there in the second half and then that solid and completely legal screen Malik set.

We were the bully yesterday, particularly in the 2nd half and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of that half.

Edited by IUCrazy2
Got my days messed up.
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, rico said:

It has come to my attention that CBS had Essegian's parents wrong on their telecast:

Haha. I just saw that with the morning joe....unreal. I'm sitting there watching the game going unless Jody and Rich decided to pump a kid out at age 50 there is no way those are his parents.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Look at probably our two best overall performances so far this year, the wins vs UNC and Wisconsin. The Xavier win is a better accomplishment and better for the resume, but our most complete performances were UNC and Wisconsin. 

What do they have in common? From start to finish we punched both teams in the mouth with our energy, effort and defensive intensity. 

In both games our halfcourt defense was suffocating and pressuring well beyond the 3pt line. 

That has to be this teams identity. It just has to be. We have enough offense to be good, but if defense is the identity this team can win a lot of games. 

Leading up to the Wisconsin game someone shared a clip on Twitter of the play vs UNC where Geronimo was just hounding his man well beyond the 3pt line. He slapped the ball from him and then dove on the ground near mid court and slapped the ball ahead. It ended up with Galloway on the break and he slammed it home. 

The Twitter posts caption was "this feels so long ago." With that version and yesterday's version of JG, this team can not only stay afloat, but actually recover and be dangerous. 

We need that level of effort consistently though from everyone. 

You just never know when a team finds that extra gear and start coming together. I'm really hoping yesterday was the start of what the kids now know what their capable of on D. Now all focus on Illinois. They actually play at Minny on Monday night so we should be well rested. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You just never know when a team finds that extra gear and start coming together. I'm really hoping yesterday was the start of what the kids now know what their capable of on D. Now all focus on Illinois. They actually play at Minny on Monday night so we should be well rested. 

Honestly if JG needed to go through the last 3 games to understand his role and JHS for example needed the last 3 games to understand how hard you need to play defensively in this league, then the struggles will have been worth it. 

Yesterday is repeatable. We didn't win because someone went nuts from 3 and it was an anomaly. We can do yesterday again. 

But, they have to do it. It will be really disappointing if they come out flat against Illinois. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Love it... 

pretty amazing what happens when our most talented player brings the needed level of effort and focus. He was much better yesterday than he was against Northwestern, despite scoring half as many points. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Honestly if JG needed to go through the last 3 games to understand his role and JHS for example needed the last 3 games to understand how hard you need to play defensively in this league, then the struggles will have been worth it. 

Yesterday is repeatable. We didn't win because someone went nuts from 3 and it was an anomaly. We can do yesterday again. 

But, they have to do it. It will be really disappointing if they come out flat against Illinois. 

Throw Reneau in that first paragraph too...

You know, I was thinking...If we get this kids playing consistently at the level they played yesterday, think how well that bodes for when XJ and Race do get back...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Throw Reneau in that first paragraph too...

You know, I was thinking...If we get this kids playing consistently at the level they played yesterday, think how well that bodes for when XJ and Race do get back...

Absolutely! We're a top 10 team if that happens. But yesterday HAS to be a shift and not an aberration. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

On this play, let’s say the B1G refs do their thing and call a flop on JG. I assume we would throw a stink and they’d review the elbow - would the fact that it should have been a Flagrant 1 undo the flop tech or would that stick too?

Steven Crowl is a "black hole."