Wisconsin Post Game Thread

KDB

38 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

On this play, let’s say the B1G refs do their thing and call a flop on JG. I assume we would throw a stink and they’d review the elbow - would the fact that it should have been a Flagrant 1 undo the flop tech or would that stick too?

I’m not 100% sure but it sure looks like he did it on purpose 

F1 and move on 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, btownqb said:

That's exactly what I'm saying. 

Ok, I wasn’t trying to make a smart comment, just wanted to clarify. I agree Kopp’s efficiency would go down if we ran more offense through him, that’s a no-brainer. I would like to see him get more than 2 shot attempts a game though. He’s not serving us much purpose if he just stands in the corner 90% of the possessions. He also doesn’t need to be shooting 13 attempts a game like Essegian did yesterday. I don’t think anybody is clamoring for that to happen.

• Like 3

Just now, 02Hoosier said:

Ok, I wasn’t trying to make a smart comment, just wanted to clarify. I agree Kopp’s efficiency would go down if we ran more offense through him, that’s a no-brainer. I would like to see him get more than 2 shot attempts a game though. He’s not serving us much purpose if he just stands in the corner 90% of the possessions. He also doesn’t need to be shooting 13 attempts a game like Essegian did yesterday. I don’t think anybody is clamoring for that to happen.

We need to run some set plays for Miller to get him about 5 good looks a game.

• Like 3

Just now, 02Hoosier said:

My statement was a general comment. I have no issue with Miller getting more, good looks. He's shooting 45% from 3. 

I don't consider that running offense through someone. 

And, the bottom line... there's a serious scouting report on Indiana. 

If you were another teams coach... would you ever allow MK to get an open 3... knowing the offensive capabilities (or lack there of) of the others on our team? 

2 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

I agree. That’s about the perfect utilization of him, in my opinion. In addition to any open shots he may happen into like yesterday.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

We need to run some set plays for Miller to get him about 5 good looks a game.

You aren't getting 5 good looks a game off set plays in D1 basketball, imo, for someone like MK. 

Especially not when you don't have enough other threats. 

Edited by btownqb

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

My statement was a general comment. I have no issue with Miller getting more, good looks. He's shooting 45% from 3. 

If you were another teams coach... would you ever allow MK to get an open 3... knowing the offensive capabilities (or lack there of) of the others on our team? 

Honestly I think the narrative of him being our only good shooter is starting to go away. Of our four main perimeter players, they’re all more than capable of lighting a team up from deep. When X comes back, he is too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Honestly I think the narrative of him being our only good shooter is starting to go away. Of our four main perimeter players, they’re all more than capable of lighting a team up from deep. When X comes back, he is too. 

Its pretty clear the other teams are still willing to gamble with others beating them and not MK. If I was building a scouting report.. MK isn't the guy we are going to lose. 

I've lost a fair amount of confidence in Tamar since I bragged on him earlier in the year. 

You can play 4 on 4 vs us and just say "MK gets nothing"... with Race and X out. That was my point. The shooting has undoubtedly improved. 

Edited by btownqb

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I’d play defense on us the way other team would. Double TJD because he tends to struggle with that, and let anyone not named Kopp shoot a three. IU isn’t gonna beat many teams in a 3 point contest. If you can keep us out of the lane your chances of winning go up considerably.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 02Hoosier said:

I’d play defense on us the way other team would. Double TJD because he tends to struggle with that, and let anyone not named Kopp shoot a three. IU isn’t gonna beat many teams in a 3 point contest. If you can keep us out of the lane your chances of winning go up considerably.

10000% agree. 

One thought I had yesterday...

I'm not a fan of 3 guys in the booth calling a game, because in my experience they're talking over each other, or one of the color guys dominates the conversation...

But I thought Jay Wright and Bill Raftery were terrific yesterday... Insightful and entertaining...

Wright made the comment after Gunn had tried to draw a foul on a breakaway and Malik had played through contact to score the difference in maturity that showed... CJ just needs to go strong and finish through the contact... But, as Jay rightly (or should I say "Wrightly" 😁) pointed out, Big 10 officials are not going to call a foul on a double pump layup... Go through the defender's arm...

And I don't know what CJ's practice habits are, but he needs to be putting up a bunch of shots every day. He CAN get his own shot, as we've seen... It's the making them that needs to be addressed...

And to be honest, I've been surprised by his D... Out of position some, but the effort is definitely there... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

@rico I think about 5 set plays should be ran for MK a game... I was just saying, that isn't going to result in 5 wide open looks. Run 5 of them.. you might get good looks off 2 or 3, the other 2 or 3 you can "play off of"..  I'm good with that, for sure. 

So we can finally agree.  lol

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One thought I had yesterday...

I'm not a fan of 3 guys in the booth calling a game, because in my experience they're talking over each other, or one of the color guys dominates the conversation...

But I thought Jay Wright and Bill Raftery we terrific yesterday... Insightful and entertaining...

Wright made the comment after Gunn had tried to draw a foul on a breakaway and Malik had played through contact to score the difference in maturity that showed... CJ just needs to go strong and finish through the contact... But, as Jay rightly (or should I say "Wrightly" 😁) pointed out, Big 10 officials are not going to call a foul on a double pump layup... Go through the defender's arm...

And I don't know what CJ's practice habits are, but he needs to be putting up a bunch of shots every day. He CAN get his own shot, as we've seen... It's the making them that needs to be addressed...

And to be honest, I've been surprised by his D... Out of position some, but the effort is definitely there... 

I thought Jay Wright was really good yesterday. I meant to mention that, thx for posting this. 

• Like 2