Purdue Post Game Thread

SawatchHoosier

Had a Purdue friend tell me this morning that he is more confident they’re better than us now than he was before the game, and thinks they’ll win by 20 at Mackey.

Not sure what about a game that was lead almost wire to wire and where no one besides Edey could do anything gave him that impression, but it gave me a good chuckle.

I am much more optimistic about our chances at Mackey after the game this weekend. I thought we would win this weekend, but expect us to hit a bunch of shots at home and we really didn’t need to do that. We just dominated on offense playing our game, nothing fluky about it. 

• Like 7

Here's a trascript of what Smith and Edey said about Smith's turnover at the end of the game that sealed it for IU...

On Braden Smith's one turnover being among 16 for the game
Smith: Definitely, turnovers suck. Obviously, it just leads to their offense. I think, at the end of the day, that one turnover cost us. I feel like we had it there with a chance to win it. And the one time we needed it to win, I turned it over. Something I need to be better at on my part and move on. The play right before that, I saw Mason [Gillis] in the corner. He was wide open, and he was there open again for a split second. I just held onto it for too long and he got there. 

Edey: Just to clarify, that was one play. Obviously in a big moment, but every play is big in a game like this. I had too many turnovers in the first half. I didn't come out with the energy I needed. 

Obviously, that's a big play and people might look at that, but you can point out three or four plays by everyone that could have made up that one possession. So it's not just on him, it's on the entire team. 

Noble of Edey to protect his freshman teammate...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Here's a trascript of what Smith and Edey said about Smith's turnover at the end of the game that sealed it for IU...

Smith: Definitely, turnovers suck. Obviously, it just leads to their offense. I think, at the end of the day, that one turnover cost us. I feel like we had it there with a chance to win it. And the one time we needed it to win, I turned it over. Something I need to be better at on my part and move on. The play right before that, I saw Mason [Gillis] in the corner. He was wide open, and he was there open again for a split second. I just held onto it for too long and he got there. 

Edey: Just to clarify, that was one play. Obviously in a big moment, but every play is big in a game like this. I had too many turnovers in the first half. I didn't come out with the energy I needed. 

Obviously, that's a big play and people might look at that, but you can point out three or four plays by everyone that could have made up that one possession. So it's not just on him, it's on the entire team. 

I agree..... I have always admired players who speak out and put others before themselves. It shows their true character. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Had a Purdue friend tell me this morning that he is more confident they’re better than us now than he was before the game, and thinks they’ll win by 20 at Mackey.

Not sure what about a game that was lead almost wire to wire and where no one besides Edey could do anything gave him that impression, but it gave me a good chuckle.

I am much more optimistic about our chances at Mackey after the game this weekend. I thought we would win this weekend, but expect us to hit a bunch of shots at home and we really didn’t need to do that. We just dominated on offense playing our game, nothing fluky about it. 

If we have Geronimo and even XJ back they shouldn’t feel very confident 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I get that Purdue is our rival, but they're not an unlikeable group at all. Painter and Edey came out of the pressers looking great. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

If we have Geronimo and even XJ back they shouldn’t feel very confident 

I'm not too sure what Geronimo is really going to do in a game against Purdue, it's just not a great matchup for him. But X would be a huge difference maker; they already couldn't guard JHS and TG, that would just add another perimeter player to give their little frosh posh nightmares. 

The reality is, if TJD can play Edey more evenly than anyone in the country and they just don't matchup to us well at the other four spots. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Weird for sure. Maybe trying to convince themselves with some false confidence. 

One thing I know and we saw it on full display Saturday. Our size advantage at guard position was able to cause Loyer/Smith to go 5-20....and I see no reason that will change. Especially when we add X back. Will worry about them down the road. Have to beat Rutgers. I'm tired of their crap.

• Like 5

I have a friend who changed his Facebook profile picture to the Oaken Bucket. Either tired of seeing IU stuff posted, or returning to something he feels more confident about.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have a friend who changed his Facebook profile picture to the Oaken Bucket. Either tired of seeing IU stuff posted, or returning to something he feels more confident about.

What a strange bunch....

I think there has to be some realization setting in now that we've won 2 out of 3, including basically a wire to wire win when Purdue was ranked 1, that days of them dominating us is over. I don't expect Purdue to just roll over like they did when Crean got things rolling, but we are top dog in this state once again. It may not be completely obvious yet for another 1.5 years, but things have shifted under Woody. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

That has to just be a coping mechanism after a tough loss by your Purdue friend. I wasn't very confident going into this game, but this showed how the game needs to go for us to win. Keep the TJD vs Edey matchup relatively close, then win the other matchups where we have better size and athleticism. 

Still think winning at Mackey will be tough, but we've definitely got a shot. Role players at home vs on the road would swing a few things Purdue's way, but on the other hand I doubt they can get more offensive rebounds than we get defensive rebounds again. Should be another good game.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Can I ask an honest question?

what call in the game did you think favored Purdue?

What a strange bunch....

I think there has to be some realization setting in now that we've won 2 out of 3, including basically a wire to wire win when Purdue was ranked 1, that days of them dominating us is over. I don't expect Purdue to just roll over like they did when Crean got things rolling, but we are top dog in this state once again. It may not be completely obvious yet for another 1.5 years, but things have shifted under Woody. 

Don’t blame Purdue…,

name the last year we had higher rated recruits?

18 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Can I ask an honest question?

what call in the game did you think favored Purdue?

I thought Gillis not getting a flagrant certainly favored Purdue, that was the first consequential call of the game and set a tone. 

There was a jump ball after a TJD block were Edey used his legs to gain possession - that should've been a kick.

There was an obvious out of bounds on Purdue that they called off of IU.

Malik didn't foul Edey when he fell.

Not saying IU didn't get some calls, I thought both charges against Edey were questionable at best, but I don't think there's a rationale argument to be made that Purdue also didn't get some major calls in that game. Overall I thought the officiating was pretty dang even - I realize that even officiating this year for Purdue isn't the norm 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I thought Gillis not getting a flagrant certainly favored Purdue, that was the first consequential call of the game and set a tone. 

There was a jump ball after a TJD block were Edey used his legs to gain possession - that should've been a kick.

Not saying IU didn't get some calls, I thought both charges against Edey were questionable at best, but I don't think there's a rationale argument to be made that Purdue also didn't get some major calls in that game. Overall I thought the officiating was pretty dang even - I realize that even officiating this year for Purdue isn't the norm 🤷‍♂️

@Purdue7- your question did cause me to get morbidly curious and seek out a game thread on a Purdue board.... in skimming the first 30 minutes of the game, the Purdue fans are completely delusional. There was an 8-1 run on fouls at one point in the first half and if you read what Purdue fans are saying at the time you'd think it was all getting called on Purdue. 

I think the reffing was ....fair... maybe wrong term, but definitely not good. some tough calls went to IU. Some went to Purdue. pretty inconsistent though out with neither team really gaining an advantage. 

Gillis should have been a flagrant/intentional. Swiping down that aggressively with both hands and the follow through. everything else afterwards was a good nothingness and lets play ball.

in the second half i dont think IU played poorly. I think Purdue deserved some (puked in my mouth) credit. They made some adjustments, came back out and ready to play. 

Past IU teams would have panicked and started chucking up stupid shots, and turning the ball over. They started to do that and gathered themselves to hang on.

• Like 4

I thought the officiating was pretty solid/even as well. As decent as you're going to get in the Big Ten. 

IU has had some really, really strange things happen this year in terms of techs and flagrants getting called on us but not on our opponents. 

JG gets a tech vs Xavier for tossing the ball to the ref, but no tech on Fran or his son for charging our bench at Iowa? 

JHS gets hit in the head numerous times this season and no flagrants, yet he gets called for a really questionable one himself. 

Bates gets called for a flagrant against Marfpr swiping down on the ball on a fast break, really with no follow through though and actually going for the ball. But Gillis swipes against us with a yank on Reneau's arm on the way down in a more egregious play, yet nothing called on Purdue. 

It's been really strange. 

• Like 6

Gillis had the ball with his left hand but it’s not beyond a ref to call an F1 in that situation 

2 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Gillis had the ball with his left hand but it’s not beyond a ref to call an F1 in that situation 

Yeah, he had the ball and then after the ball was gone he pulled him down. It isn't that it's not beyond the ref to call a flagrant, when you pull a guy down like that it's a flagrant. 

31 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, he had the ball and then after the ball was gone he pulled him down. It isn't that it's not beyond the ref to call a flagrant, when you pull a guy down like that it's a flagrant. 

Exactly, Gillis yanked down on his arm. 

Not really Purdue fans problem, but I just don't see how the same conference's refs can call the one on Bates Thursday a flagrant and yet not call the Gillis one? 

I mean, I don't have a problem if neither are called flagrant, but the Gillis one was certainly more egregious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Exactly, Gillis yanked down on his arm. 

Not really Purdue fans problem, but I just don't see how the same conference's refs can call the one on Bates Thursday a flagrant and yet not call the Gillis one? 

I mean, I don't have a problem if neither are called flagrant, but the Gillis one was certainly more egregious. 

I have to think that is being brought up by our staff to the league office. 

• Like 1