Purdue Post Game Thread

SawatchHoosier

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I can see an issue in that 1vs4/5 sweet 16 game. Having a week to prepare…but having only 1 day to prepare for Edey…not sure an opponent unfamiliar with them would solve that.

It will be interesting to see who ends up on that 8/9 seed line.  Creighton?  The Jays would match up well.  4/5 seed line.  Xavier?  UConn.  I am just looking at teams that have a dominating big and physical guards.

• Like 2

So many little plays that go into a win. Besides TJD/JHS....Kopp had that defensive play/dive, Trey bodied up Loyer and I felt like he had 2-3 12 foot floaters that were crucial in first half, Bates with the 3, Kaleb coming in and even with the 1 mistake he backed it up with 2-3 great contributions.

Final thing is this. Beat a #1 team in the country without Xavier, without Geronimo....and Race is probably 75%. Man this final 2 months is going to be fun to watch if we can get all hands on deck. 

• Like 5

I was watching on the road from my phone (no sound).  When JHS went down last in the 2nd half holding his knee I thought he blew it out...ACL/MCL.  It's likely been discussed in other threads but I'm too lazy to dive through dozens of pages to find it.  What happened there?  Was he just trying to draw a foul?  Did he actually tweak his knee at all? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I was watching on the road from my phone (no sound).  When JHS went down last in the 2nd half holding his knee I thought he blew it out...ACL/MCL.  It's likely been discussed in other threads but I'm too lazy to dive through dozens of pages to find it.  What happened there?  Was he just trying to draw a foul?  Did he actually tweak his knee at all? 

My heart was in my throat on that play too. Didn’t seem to phase him the rest of the game. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Post game he said his knee basically gave out and buckled. That his reaction was almost more out of immediate fear than pain, but that he is fine.

That's me paraphrasing, of course. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Is ESPN still a functioning website that gets updated? I rarely ever visit it, but I’m looking at the NCAAM home page and there are lots of newish stories, but nothing about the number one team being beaten. Sees like news to me, but what do I know. 

Anymore Yahoo sports is my go to.  I may check sports illustrated sometimes.

Screenshot_20230205-101553_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7823dad3558a59ffca65cb01d4422bf9.jpg

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 4

Great win.

Our guards need to be better/smarter with double teaming the post. Bates has to quit swatting at the ball in the post.

Love seeing Banks get minutes. How awesome is that as a freshman, to see virtually zero minutes all season, then to start getting PT on a ranked team in February?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Naturalhoosier said:

That was really scary - looked similar to Sean Livingston’s knee injury. Couldn’t believe he was back on the court after the break. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Is ESPN still a functioning website that gets updated? I rarely ever visit it, but I’m looking at the NCAAM home page and there are lots of newish stories, but nothing about the number one team being beaten. Sees like news to me, but what do I know. 

I have no proof other than 35 years of memory but whenever IU does something big in the win column it seems to get shuffled aside. Only thing I can offer is this. When Mike Tirico was asked what his most painful sport memory was he said in a nanosecond the exact date and time that Smart's shot went down and beat Syracuse.

Lots of Syracuse folks working at ESPN. That hate runs deep and might have a hand in the coverage of good IU news. Probably a far fetched theory of mine but oh well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I have no proof other than 35 years of memory but whenever IU does something big in the win column it seems to get shuffled aside. Only thing I can offer is this. When Mike Tirico was asked what his most painful sport memory was he said in a nanosecond the exact date and time that Smart's shot went down and beat Syracuse.

Lots of Syracuse folks working at ESPN. That hate runs deep and might have a hand in the coverage of good IU news. Probably a far fetched theory of mine but oh well.

That, and though some will ridicule this, and I think there's still a "Bob Knight effect."

He insulted enough talking heads for that grudge to last into the next century... 

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s all over my homepage. If you pick IU as a favorite team on their webpage it always pushes stories to the top of your page. 

That said…I think it goes more to the fact that Purdue just doesn’t garner much interest for them. They aren’t a sexy #1 like Kansas or Duke or any blue bloods. Also getting beat by IU isn’t a big story I would think as it isn’t seen as much of an upset.

• Like 2

I get that we have better things to talk about after a win, but since we're on the topic of people being against us, I think there is something to the idea that the refs don't like Woodson. 

Off the top of my head, there was a Kopp foul on Edey in the first where Kopp definitely had his arms come down at an angle, but I don't think he ever touched him. There was a shooting foul on JHS where he never actually touched him. There was the out of bounds call where the ball was clearly off them in the 2nd half. There was the time Edey dropped the ball and somehow that was a foul on Reneau. Where are the equivalent calls where we got a favorable one? I guess the one announcer would say the Edey charge, but that seemed pretty egregious to me. I don't remember a single time where they gave us one that was questionable. 

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

They would be the weakest overall #1 I can remember in all my years of watching college ball.  I  can't see those Purdue guards getting through the second weekend.  Once teams solve Eddy, Purdue becomes very ordinary.

So, if Purdue is 'weak', doesnt that cheapen our win?  

I prefer to think in terms that we beat a very good, well-coached, quality team,  with a dominant big man.  One that I dont like, mind you, but good nonetheless.

That type of thinking makes me feel better about MY team, which is more important than feeling less about someone else.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It’s all over my homepage. If you pick IU as a favorite team on their webpage it always pushes stories to the top of your page. 

That said…I think it goes more to the fact that Purdue just doesn’t garner much interest for them. They aren’t a sexy #1 like Kansas or Duke or any blue bloods. Also getting beat by IU isn’t a big story I would think as it isn’t seen as much of an upset.

Regardless, pick one of these Men's NCAA Basketball "Top Stories" that should trump an #1 team, any #1 team, getting knocked off...

Screenshot_20230205-104654.thumb.png.4f957009577fa556b8f671b5feae39f2.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

This was the Sports Illustrated cover after IU won the title in 1987. We rated the upper left corner. Baseball season was just starting and the Cleveland Indians got the cover. I remembered because I lived in Cleveland at the time and couldn’t believe it. 
image.jpeg.1868373fd559edd52cb6c3b348718543.jpeg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This was the Sports Illustrated cover after IU won the title in 1987. We rated the upper left corner. Baseball season was just starting and the Cleveland Indians got the cover. I remembered because I lived in Cleveland at the time and couldn’t believe it. 
image.jpeg.1868373fd559edd52cb6c3b348718543.jpeg

I remember that like it was yesterday.  I was so pissed because I always treasured SI covers of 'my' team.

• Like 2