Purdue Post Game Thread

SawatchHoosier

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I always get ripped for talking about the past but the top teams today would have a hard time being a top 25 team in the 80's

Due to mental discipline? But in the grand scheme of things, you do remind me a lot of a Springsteen song about glory days. I don't remember what it was called though. 

• Haha 5

57 minutes ago, Reacher said:

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35589845

Trayce vs Edey video highlights. TJD's were much better🤣

If you look at how much Trayce has changed his mental toughness since Woody has been coach that should make recruits want to come play for him. The way he has dominated physically ever since that Illinois game last year it’s just night and day. He’d be intimidated by Edey in previous years but this year not so much.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

How was what I posted 'defensive'?

Maybe I'm misreading you here but when I see "...any attempt to degrade Purdue diminishes what IU did yesterday."  I read that as a tad defensive as if casting any doubt on Purdue's elite team status is blasphemous as it relates to IU's win yesterday.

I get that as an IU fan, it's assumed that I'll take any opportunity to belittle Purdue (not an unfair assumption), but in this case, I don't feel like I'm really being unfair here.

1. Purdue has been beaten at home this season by a team just outside of the top 25.
  2. Purdue has hardly been dominant recently having several close calls (71-69 over OSU, 64-63 over MSU, 58-55 at home over Maryland and 75-70 over Michigan).
  3. Purdue has a starting backcourt composed of two fine (but not elite) freshmen guards.  One less than six feet tall.  Both fairly inexperienced.
  4. Purdue has no one projected to go in this year's NBA draft.
  5. Purdue's star has played about five years of organized basketball and his greatest attribute is his height and wingspan.
  6. #21 IU was favored by Vegas to win Saturday's game against #1 Purdue.

That's a few warts for an overall number one seed in the tournament.  Very good team, yes, but I can't imagine this team being considered elite or dominant or a real candidate for the overall top seed in most years.  I think Painter has done a really nice job maximizing what he has, but it's really hard to argue that they have more talent than IU, or several teams for that matter.  They may get the number one overall seed and they may win it all, but I see enough vulnerabilities to say that if they really are the best team, it's surely a down year.

With all that said, yeah...big win yesterday.  IU certainly proved they belong.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Maybe I'm misreading you here but when I see "...any attempt to degrade Purdue diminishes what IU did yesterday."  I read that as a tad defensive as if casting any doubt on Purdue's elite team status is blasphemous as it relates to IU's win yesterday.

I get that as an IU fan, it's assumed that I'll take any opportunity to belittle Purdue (not an unfair assumption), but in this case, I don't feel like I'm really being unfair here.

1. Purdue has been beaten at home this season by a team just outside of the top 25.
  2. Purdue has hardly been dominant recently having several close calls (71-69 over OSU, 64-63 over MSU, 58-55 at home over Maryland and 75-70 over Michigan).
  3. Purdue has a starting backcourt composed of two fine (but not elite) freshmen guards.  One less than six feet tall.  Both fairly inexperienced.
  4. Purdue has no one projected to go in this year's NBA draft.
  5. Purdue's star has played about five years of organized basketball and his greatest attribute is his height and wingspan.
  6. #21 IU was favored by Vegas to win Saturday's game against #1 Purdue.

That's a few warts for an overall number one seed in the tournament.  Very good team, yes, but I can't imagine this team being considered elite or dominant or a real candidate for the overall top seed in most years.  I think Painter has done a really nice job maximizing what he has, but it's really hard to argue that they have more talent than IU, or several teams for that matter.  They may get the number one overall seed and they may win it all, but I see enough vulnerabilities to say that if they really are the best team, it's surely a down year.

With all that said, yeah...big win yesterday.  IU certainly proved they belong.

I think you’d be shocked to find that most years the number one overall seed has lots of close calls with good, not great, teams. Finding a way to win is part of being great.

Purdue would’ve found a way to beat Iowa and Northwestern when we didn’t, and right now that could end up being the difference in them winning the conference and being a one seed, and us looking like a four seed at this point. 

• Like 5

I think Purdue is a good team that has the best college player in the country... I have to tip my cap to Edey...he's worked on his game and become the most reliable scorer in college basketball. Almost automatic within 7 feet. And he's a good rebounder and defender too...

But, as I said before, I think without him Purdue would struggle to be a . 500 team... He takes an awful lot of pressure off those freshmen guards... 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think you’d be shocked to find that most years the number one overall seed has lots of close calls with good, not great, teams. Finding a way to win is part of being great.

Purdue would’ve found a way to beat Iowa and Northwestern when we didn’t, and right now that could end up being the difference in them winning the conference and being a one seed, and us looking like a four seed at this point. 

No doubt.  Just seems like they were blowing teams out early and as the season wears on, teams are starting to figure out how to beat them.  Early on, they blew out Duke and Gonzaga.  Granted, both of those teams are a little down as well, but the eye test says it's getting harder for Purdue.

...and without question, IU has had a few games where they simply lacked mental toughness needed to get the job done.  For having a freshman backcourt, Purdue has handled the mental aspect of the game a little better, although IU appears to be figuring it out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Purdue is a good team that has the best college player in the country... I have to tip my cap to Edey...he's worked on his game and become the most reliable scorer in college basketball. Almost automatic within 7 feet. And he's a good rebounder and defender too...

But, as I said before, I think without him Purdue would struggle to be a . 500 team... He takes an awful lot of pressure off those freshmen guards... 

I don't think I've ever seen a post player who was a bigger X factor late in games. In a 1 or 2 possession game, Purdue doesn't have to shoot 3's because they can practically get a guaranteed 2 from him. Opponents will usually let him have it because they don't want to foul. He's difficult to inbound the ball against, and you can't intentionally foul when up 3 because of the likelihood that he would get the offensive board. 

I know they have a 7'2" guy on the bench who isn't playing this year, but there are only so many people in the world who are well over 7 feet tall and physically capable of playing sports. Painter's going to come up empty trying to find one eventually, right? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I don't think I've ever seen a post player who was a bigger X factor late in games. In a 1 or 2 possession game, Purdue doesn't have to shoot 3's because they can practically get a guaranteed 2 from him. Opponents will usually let him have it because they don't want to foul. He's difficult to inbound the ball against, and you can't intentionally foul when up 3 because of the likelihood that he would get the offensive board. 

I know they have a 7'2" guy on the bench who isn't playing this year, but there are only so many people in the world who are well over 7 feet tall and physically capable of playing sports. Painter's going to come up empty trying to find one eventually, right? 

CMW called the perfect play to end the game yesterday, but I was yelling at the tv to throw the pass to someone else out of bounds to get away from Edey. Glad the long pass worked, but the out of bounds pass would be a way to negate his length as well 

• Like 1

Well, I sort of made it all weekend. Just got done watching the game. I did find out IU won because a buddy texted right after the game, but had no context. Didn't know the score, any stats, etc.

Awesome win! Great performance overall. This team is playing really well, and first time in a few years that I'm really seeing a connection and enjoying watching the development of the players and a team coming together. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

No doubt.  Just seems like they were blowing teams out early and as the season wears on, teams are starting to figure out how to beat them.  Early on, they blew out Duke and Gonzaga.  Granted, both of those teams are a little down as well, but the eye test says it's getting harder for Purdue.

...and without question, IU has had a few games where they simply lacked mental toughness needed to get the job done.  For having a freshman backcourt, Purdue has handled the mental aspect of the game a little better, although IU appears to be figuring it out.

I think their biggest struggle is going to be matching up against a team with really big athletic guards.

Those teams can pressure the ball making entry l passes more difficult.

They can speed up the game and take PU guards off the dribble. 

I do believe PU is a top 5 team, but they do have clear vulnerabilities.

But every team does this year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

I think their biggest struggle is going to be matching up against a team with really big athletic guards.

Those teams can pressure the ball making entry l passes more difficult.

They can speed up the game and take PU guards off the dribble. 

I do believe PU is a top 5 team, but they do have clear vulnerabilities.

But every team does this year. 

I agree. It seems every team you look at has major flaws. There doesn't seem to be a clear cut favorite. Also it's the first time in many a year I don't see Duke with a number next to their name. Kentucky I believe and hope has lost their luster finally. UNC is also not doing the hottest. Normally the Big 10 has 4 to 5 ranked and we don't. Just seems there is major parody this year and the title is quite clearly up for grabs to any team that wants it and gets hot in March. 

• Like 1

Finally got to watch the game.  I had kept up with the score on my phone while it was going on, so I already knew the ebbs and flows, but I was surprised while watching it that I didn't think we played our best in the first half.  Quietist 50-point half I remember.  Not like first half against Iowa at all.  

Was really pleased to see Malik play well on the big stage.  Thought Galloway was big as well.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Finally got to watch the game.  I had kept up with the score on my phone while it was going on, so I already knew the ebbs and flows, but I was surprised while watching it that I didn't think we played our best in the first half.  Quietist 50-point half I remember.  Not like first half against Iowa at all.  

Was really pleased to see Malik play well on the big stage.  Thought Galloway was big as well.  

Right, TJD exploded but it wasn’t like a role player got hot or we hit a barrage of threes. Just solid offense all half long, but I think that bodes well for our chances at Mackey. Purdue is hard for anyone to guard because of Edey, but we are pretty uniquely tough for them to guard. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Watching Northwestern -Wisconsin. DJ Karstensen (the ref they had micced up when we played Ohio St) who did our game yesterday, is doing the game. He told the announcers (Levering and Hummel) that his ears were still ringing from Assembly Hall yesterday 🙂

LOL DJ throwing shade at Mackey Arena.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

When did they even start tracking overall #1 seeds?

1994 Missouri, 2000 Stanford were some weak #1 seeds. 

I'm talking about the TOP #1 seed.  I don't think either of those were but I'm struggling to find an authoritative site for overall #1 seeds.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm talking about the TOP #1 seed.  I don't think either of those were but I'm struggling to find an authoritative site for overall #1 seeds.

Me too. That's why I asked when they started tracking. The best I could find was the OVERALL #1 seed thing started about 14 years ago but not an authoritative thing. 

Edited by mrflynn03

On 2/4/2023 at 8:58 PM, 5fouls said:

If Purdue wasnt Purdue, they would be an easy team to respect.

I'm coming back to this because I 100% agree. One thing that makes a rivalry great is respect.  We like to shot on each other because it's fun and IU will always be better than purdue.

But give credit where it's due.  Matt Painter wanted to play for IU and RMK. Got passed over, done his thing and he is where he wants to be. 

He is a class act and a pretty damn good coach. As far as I know he never shit on IU. 

• Like 2