Purdue Post Game Thread

SawatchHoosier

1 hour ago, Bushmage said:

I usually don’t like our players talking to opponents but I actually enjoyed seeing Trayce and Zach talking to each other. Both big ten all stars vying for NPOY. They have to understand the moment they’re both in. Probably pretty surreal for them to consider.

I do too. I told my wife how much I enjoy when good players on opposing team chat respectfully. It just shows their true character and class.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I do too. I told my wife how much I enjoy when good players on opposing team chat respectfully. It just shows their true character and class.

said: 

I usually don’t like our players talking to opponents but I actually enjoyed seeing Trayce and Zach talking to each other. Both big ten all stars vying for NPOY. They have to understand the moment they’re both in. Probably pretty surreal for them to consider.

To tie a couple conversations from this thread together…

Agree with the above sentiment, however I really thought the chest bump on Gillis when things got a little chippy was gonna come back to haunt us. Thought for sure Trayce was going to get T’d up for that….And, for all the complaints about the refs, I thought that they did an excellent job getting that situation under control until cooler heads prevailed 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

It’s all over my homepage. If you pick IU as a favorite team on their webpage it always pushes stories to the top of your page. 

This.  I dont have to look for stories involving IU, Reds, Bengals, IU Women, etc.  

Really nice feature by ESPN that it appears some on here may not be aware of.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, DWB said:

Someone earlier posted that it's been 25 yrs since a player got 25/7/5 blks against a #1 or something like that.

I'd like to know if another center has ever gotten 25 pts against Edey. Not guards or forwards, but another big guy.

Last year Dickinson averaged 25 in Michigan’s two games v Purdue. 28 in the first game and 22 in the second.

Don’t know how many of those points were with Edey defending him and how many with Williams 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I get that we have better things to talk about after a win, but since we're on the topic of people being against us, I think there is something to the idea that the refs don't like Woodson. 

Off the top of my head, there was a Kopp foul on Edey in the first where Kopp definitely had his arms come down at an angle, but I don't think he ever touched him. There was a shooting foul on JHS where he never actually touched him. There was the out of bounds call where the ball was clearly off them in the 2nd half. There was the time Edey dropped the ball and somehow that was a foul on Reneau. Where are the equivalent calls where we got a favorable one? I guess the one announcer would say the Edey charge, but that seemed pretty egregious to me. I don't remember a single time where they gave us one that was questionable. 

I didn’t think the charge on Edey was a good call. I thought it was a travel. I also thought Malik fouled Edey on the play referenced. 

And the Kopp foul on Edey.. theres a law of verticality, he doesn't actually have to touch him with his arms, I thought that was a good call too. 

I also didn't have an issue with Gillis foul. Purdue just shouldn't have been surprised when Edey caught a body blow the next time he went up. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I don't think that, just mentioning a difference of opinion. 

I thought the game was pretty well officiated, honestly..  and absolutely better than what we've seen.  🤷‍♂️

I think Banks caught a phantom call yesterday, didn't he? 

Edited by btownqb

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Regardless, pick one of these Men's NCAA Basketball "Top Stories" that should trump an #1 team, any #1 team, getting knocked off...

Screenshot_20230205-104654.thumb.png.4f957009577fa556b8f671b5feae39f2.png

Like I said…nobody cares about Purdue. It isn’t a story. Heck I don’t see DUKE OVER NC there either. They put our game on their channel and promoted it all week during other games. I guess we can complain but anyone that cares watched the game.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This.  I dont have to look for stories involving IU, Reds, Bengals, IU Women, etc.  

Really nice feature by ESPN that it appears some on here may not be aware of.

Also if you don’t have them selected it might even base what is on your feed by your part of the country…not sure but I highly doubt they have it out against IU. I never see any Purdue news on there really. They want to generate clicks…no one is clicking on Purdue. There was nothing remarkable about the win. It wasn’t an upset it wasn’t a blow out. Just a good game by two teams that outside Indiana generate little national interest.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Like I said…nobody cares about Purdue. It isn’t a story. Heck I don’t see DUKE OVER NC there either. They put our game on their channel and promoted it all week during other games. I guess we can complain but anyone that cares watched the game.

I can see your point, to a point ;) 

But Illinois Iowa isn't exactly a blue blood matchup, and it's in there...

But as of right now, Purdue is the ugly girl in the ugly dress that hit a midlevel lottery :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I didn’t think the charge on Edey was a good call. I thought it was a travel. I also thought Malik fouled Edey on the play referenced. 

And the Kopp foul on Edey.. theres a law of verticality, he doesn't actually have to touch him with his arms, I thought that was a good call too. 

I also didn't have an issue with Gillis foul. Purdue just shouldn't have been surprised when Edey caught a body blow the next time he went up. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I don't think that, just mentioning a difference of opinion. 

I thought the game was pretty well officiated, honestly..  and absolutely better than what we've seen.  🤷‍♂️

I think Banks caught a phantom call yesterday, didn't he? 

For a college basketball game it was pretty well officiated…I mean I’ve seen a whole lot worse for sure. No doubt they missed a few calls but nothing too agregious. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

So, if Purdue is 'weak', doesnt that cheapen our win?  

I prefer to think in terms that we beat a very good, well-coached, quality team,  with a dominant big man.  One that I dont like, mind you, but good nonetheless.

That type of thinking makes me feel better about MY team, which is more important than feeling less about someone else.

Context, brother.

If that team is literally the best team in college ball, this is a very weak year.  I stand by that.  They are good, yes, but I didn't see anything there that screams best team in college ball in even an average year.  They look like a top 20-ish team to me.  Maybe even top ten.  Good win, yes, but I have a hard time imagining there's no team better than that.

2 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I totally agree!!! He has 10000% better hangs than JG and just as good on the boards 

I believe Banks was on the floor in place of Kopp more like a 3.  We have only seen Geronimo in the 3 spot for about 15 minutes in the last 3 years.  At this point,  they aren't playing the same position or role, even though they are both junk yard dogs, style wise.  Really like what we have seen out of Banks lately.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't view any #1 overall seeds as weak.  

You're missing my point.  I'm never said they were weak.  I think they are weakER than just about any overall #1 I can remember.  Doesn't mean they are a bad team, but it does feel like the overall quality of D1 this year is definitely down.  I mean, Alabama just got clobbered by a mediocre Oklahoma team.  Tennessee and Auburn just played one of the fugliest games I've seen outside of a team playing against Wisconsin.  Duke, UNC and Kentucky are all down this year.  Kansas lost three in a row and just lost again.  It just feels like a really weak field where about anyone in the top 30 has a chance at a national title.

Seriously...these are good kids, but would anyone think that a team with a starting backcourt of Loyer and Smith would be the best team in the country?  Outside of Edey, who does Purdue really have that is elite and a starter on a national championship caliber team?  Even with Edey, we're talking about a kid who's literally played like 5 years of organized basketball.  I have a hard time seeing him having a lasting impact in the NBA even though he's a strong candidate for NPOY.  All this just makes it seem like this is a really down year at the top.

JMO...I don't see this Purdue team as an elite college basketball team.  I guess I don't see ANY team this year as elite for that matter.  Doesn't mean that yesterday's win wasn't a very good win for the trajectory of the IU program.  It just doesn't feel as big as, say, the 2011 IU win over UK.  That felt like slaying an elite team.  This felt like a great win over a rival.  That is all.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You're missing my point.  I'm never said they were weak.  I think they are weakER than just about any overall #1 I can remember.  Doesn't mean they are a bad team, but it does feel like the overall quality of D1 this year is definitely down.  I mean, Alabama just got clobbered by a mediocre Oklahoma team.  Tennessee and Auburn just played one of the fugliest games I've seen outside of a team playing against Wisconsin.  Duke, UNC and Kentucky are all down this year.  Kansas lost three in a row and just lost again.  It just feels like a really weak field where about anyone in the top 30 has a chance at a national title.

Seriously...these are good kids, but would anyone think that a team with a starting backcourt of Loyer and Smith would be the best team in the country?  Outside of Edey, who does Purdue really have that is elite and a starter on a national championship caliber team?  Even with Edey, we're talking about a kid who's literally played like 5 years of organized basketball.  I have a hard time seeing him having a lasting impact in the NBA even though he's a strong candidate for NPOY.  All this just makes it seem like this is a really down year at the top.

JMO...I don't see this Purdue team as an elite college basketball team.  I guess I don't see ANY team this year as elite for that matter.  Doesn't mean that yesterday's win wasn't a very good win for the trajectory of the IU program.  It just doesn't feel as big as, say, the 2011 IU win over UK.  That felt like slaying an elite team.  This felt like a great win over a rival.  That is all.

By your standards the '87 IU team was the worst national title team of all-time.  

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, rico said:

By your standards the '87 IU team was the worst national title team of all-time.  

Again, you miss my point.  Were they the number one overall seed?  I think not.  We are not talking national champs.  We are talking the overall number one going into the tournament.  

Aside from that, Valvano's Wolfpack is probably the weakest national champ.  Entirely different debate from this one though.

Edited by FKIM01
typo
  • Like 1