Purdue Post Game Thread

SawatchHoosier

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Again, you miss my point.  Were they the number one overall seed?  I think not.  We are not talking national champs.  We are talking the overall number one going into the tournament.  

Aside from that, Valvano's Wolfpack is probably the weakest national champ.  Entirely different debate from this one though.

Villanova beating Georgetown?

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I didn’t think the charge on Edey was a good call. I thought it was a travel. I also thought Malik fouled Edey on the play referenced. 

And the Kopp foul on Edey.. theres a law of verticality, he doesn't actually have to touch him with his arms, I thought that was a good call too. 

I also didn't have an issue with Gillis foul. Purdue just shouldn't have been surprised when Edey caught a body blow the next time he went up. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I don't think that, just mentioning a difference of opinion. 

I thought the game was pretty well officiated, honestly..  and absolutely better than what we've seen.  🤷‍♂️

I think Banks caught a phantom call yesterday, didn't he? 

I agree but disagree. I can get on board with those fouls being called but if you’re gonna call ticky tacky against us then it needs to be called both ways. If we are fouling because we are being physical that’s fine but in that case Trayce should be shooting 20 free throws a game yet he doesn’t get the calls other star players in this league get until after woody complains the whole first 15 minutes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Again, you miss my point.  Were they the number one overall seed?  I think not.  We are not talking national champs.  We are talking the overall number one going into the tournament.  

Aside from that, Valvano's Wolfpack is probably the weakest national champ.  Entirely different debate from this one though.

I get your point.  You aren't giving Purdue any credit.  They are the worst #1 overall seed of all-time.  Can't win with a frosh back court.  Edey has only been playing basketball for a bit.  

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I didn’t think the charge on Edey was a good call. I thought it was a travel. I also thought Malik fouled Edey on the play referenced. 

And the Kopp foul on Edey.. theres a law of verticality, he doesn't actually have to touch him with his arms, I thought that was a good call too. 

I also didn't have an issue with Gillis foul. Purdue just shouldn't have been surprised when Edey caught a body blow the next time he went up. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I don't think that, just mentioning a difference of opinion. 

I thought the game was pretty well officiated, honestly..  and absolutely better than what we've seen.  🤷‍♂️

I think Banks caught a phantom call yesterday, didn't he? 

I was already pulling out the rule book (because I don't think he got the Galloway running out of bounds call correct), so I checked on your law of verticality. 

R10A6 states, "A player shall not extend the arm(s) fully or partially, other than vertically, so that freedom of movement of an opponent is hindered when contact with the arm(s) occurs." Seems pretty clear to me that contact is a necessary element of the foul.  

It also seems clear to me that the call on Galloway was wrong. Section3 Article 1 reads, "A player who steps out of bounds under the player's own volition and then becomes the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court has committed a violation." Galloway was not the first player to touch the ball - Kopp clearly still had the ball long after Galloway was back in bounds. 

I thus add to my list of grievances. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Seriously...these are good kids, but would anyone think that a team with a starting backcourt of Loyer and Smith would be the best team in the country?  Outside of Edey, who does Purdue really have that is elite and a starter on a national championship caliber team?  

If you took Edey and TJD, both great players, off the respective teams, IU beats PU by 20

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I get your point.  You aren't giving Purdue any credit.  They are the worst #1 overall seed of all-time.  Can't win with a frosh back court.  Edey has only been playing basketball for a bit.  

OK?

I'm giving Purdue credit for what they've accomplished competitively?  I just think it's a really down year if they end up being the overall #1 seed.  That's surely not an unreasonable opinion.

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This was the Sports Illustrated cover after IU won the title in 1987. We rated the upper left corner. Baseball season was just starting and the Cleveland Indians got the cover. I remembered because I lived in Cleveland at the time and couldn’t believe it. 
image.jpeg.1868373fd559edd52cb6c3b348718543.jpeg

I just looked it up.  In 1987, Cleveland finished in last place, 37 games out.  Not kidding.  

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

For a college basketball game it was pretty well officiated…I mean I’ve seen a whole lot worse for sure. No doubt they missed a few calls but nothing too agregious. 

I also thought it was well officiated. The only thing I questioned were two of Edey's putbacks looked to be on the rim. What is the cylinder rule? Any part of the ball or all of the ball? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I agree but disagree. I can get on board with those fouls being called but if you’re gonna call ticky tacky against us then it needs to be called both ways. If we are fouling because we are being physical that’s fine but in that case Trayce should be shooting 20 free throws a game yet he doesn’t get the calls other star players in this league get until after woody complains the whole first 15 minutes.

Oh I never argued they were consistent. They aren't consistent at all. 

I did think the only reason for Edey's quick "elbow"/jolt to Trayce was because he was off balance, and traveled before the foul occurred. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I also thought it was well officiated. The only thing I questioned were two of Edey's putbacks looked to be on the rim. What is the cylinder rule? Any part of the ball or all of the ball? 

I thought there was one he hit to another player when it was above the rim, in the first half. 

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I just view it as any attempt to degrade Purdue diminishes what IU did yesterday.  And, remember, with 15 seconds left, it was still a game, on our home court.

If Purdue is a no better than a Sweet 16 team, then we probably or not either.  

Amen Bro.

Personally, I think the Boilers are the best team in the land.  I have no idea how it is gonna play out leading up to March.  History is not on Purdue's side.

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I just view it as any attempt to degrade Purdue diminishes what IU did yesterday.  And, remember, with 15 seconds left, it was still a game, on our home court.

If Purdue is a no better than a Sweet 16 team, then we probably or not either.  

Oh please...🙄

See it however you want.  Why so defensive?  It's a good win against a very good team and a rival to boot.  If you think that this edition of the Toiletmakers is a historically elite team worthy of the overall number one seed in a typically strong year, we'll just have to disagree.  In a typical year, no, I don't think they'd get beyond the first weekend with the guards they have.  In a weaker year without any really dominant teams, I think a LOT of teams could contend for a title, including 3-4 out of the Big Ten.

This was a nice win, but I got news for you...both I and Vegas expected IU to win.  Purdue simply isn't a dominant elite team.  Vegas wasn't betting on IU against UK in 2011.

Unless someone emerges late, this season's tournament is likely to be crazier than usual.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I mean it was our perimeter players getting in foul trouble, and I don’t think anyone can argue Purdue’s were playing the same type of defense as us. Morton tried and got two quick fouls, their freshman guards couldn’t guard their own shadow and didn’t foul us because they couldn’t even get a hand on us. 

26 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Oh please...🙄

See it however you want.  Why so defensive?  It's a good win against a very good team and a rival to boot.  If you think that this edition of the Toiletmakers is a historically elite team worthy of the overall number one seed in a typically strong year, we'll just have to disagree.  In a typical year, no, I don't think they'd get beyond the first weekend with the guards they have.  In a weaker year without any really dominant teams, I think a LOT of teams could contend for a title, including 3-4 out of the Big Ten.

This was a nice win, but I got news for you...both I and Vegas expected IU to win.  Purdue simply isn't a dominant elite team.  Vegas wasn't betting on IU against UK in 2011.

Unless someone emerges late, this season's tournament is likely to be crazier than usual.

How was what I posted 'defensive'?

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You're missing my point.  I'm never said they were weak.  I think they are weakER than just about any overall #1 I can remember.  Doesn't mean they are a bad team, but it does feel like the overall quality of D1 this year is definitely down.  I mean, Alabama just got clobbered by a mediocre Oklahoma team.  Tennessee and Auburn just played one of the fugliest games I've seen outside of a team playing against Wisconsin.  Duke, UNC and Kentucky are all down this year.  Kansas lost three in a row and just lost again.  It just feels like a really weak field where about anyone in the top 30 has a chance at a national title.

Seriously...these are good kids, but would anyone think that a team with a starting backcourt of Loyer and Smith would be the best team in the country?  Outside of Edey, who does Purdue really have that is elite and a starter on a national championship caliber team?  Even with Edey, we're talking about a kid who's literally played like 5 years of organized basketball.  I have a hard time seeing him having a lasting impact in the NBA even though he's a strong candidate for NPOY.  All this just makes it seem like this is a really down year at the top.

JMO...I don't see this Purdue team as an elite college basketball team.  I guess I don't see ANY team this year as elite for that matter.  Doesn't mean that yesterday's win wasn't a very good win for the trajectory of the IU program.  It just doesn't feel as big as, say, the 2011 IU win over UK.  That felt like slaying an elite team.  This felt like a great win over a rival.  That is all.

I always get ripped for talking about the past but the top teams today would have a hard time being a top 25 team in the 80's

• Like 2
  • Confused 1