MSU Post Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

We were the top 4 seed before we beat Illinois (with what the committee released), so if we win those last two home games I can't see us falling off of the 4 line. Other teams are going to lose games too. 

Hope you’re right and two losses at MSU and Purdue don’t affect us much. Certainly can help for us to get a double bye and win a game or two in the Big10 tourney. Get XJ back and I really like our chances on neutral floors moving forward. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Refs sucked but I don't think that's really a factor in why we lost tonight, just didn't have it.

Was going to take a herculean effort with all the external factors and we didn't bring that. 

absolutely right. Trayce missed two layups in the first two minutes of the second half and we give up two 3s, I knew it wasn't our night.

• Like 2

Well that was um uninspiring. I liked though when Woody just packed it in around the 3 minute mark. TJD is absolutely gassed. He looked like he had lead weights in his shoes on his jumps and he wasn't strong with the rebounds. Gallo is gassed as well. It is sad to see our bench can not contribute at all.  I think it is about time to give Gunn Duncomb and Banks some run. Light a fire under Bates and Geronimo. Also give TJD some rest. Seriously so sad. We could have fought our way back in but we just lost out on all the hustle plays and got outrebounded by alot. We couldn't find our way back into the game. Pack it in get some rest and let's go see if we can sweep Purdue.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So saw somewhere that Big Ten teams are 7-26 on the road in February.  Does anyone really believe that many teams are that better at home?  I don't.  It is how games are called.  

This league is good for money but the actual product has a bit of WWE feel to it.  The whole "Spartan Strong" stuff...just feels like a production so often.

We talked about it in the game thread, but haven't seen much like Kopp getting called for a foul for getting absolutely raked across the arms as he drove. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Refs sucked but I don't think that's really a factor in why we lost tonight, just didn't have it.

Was going to take a herculean effort with all the external factors and we didn't bring that. 

Agree with what you're saying, but I am tired of seeing this team come out and play flat too many times....

Honestly, I feel like TJD has carried to much of the load this season and maybe some of the other players became complacent.  When he doesn't have a great to good game like he's had for 10+ games straight this team falters badly. I hope this is a wake up call to his teammates that TJD needs them. Maybe XJ will be that guy but this team needs someone else to make things happen regularly when TJD doesn't have it. 

• Like 2

Here's my comment. Hopefully doesn't ruffle any feathers. Sparty shot lights out. We didn't battle on the boards and missed several close one's at the rim. JHS being out for that 7 minute stretch didn't help.

To my comment though. I absolutely despise Jay Bilas, ESPN, and now apparently SVP acquiesing. What Sparty and their community has faced this last week is horrible. Know a close family member to one of the victims. With that said.

They looked the other way on the Larry Nasser issue. To that I would never have one ounce of respect for anyone tied to Michigan State including Izzo. Spare me the fake tears Coach. Talk to those hundreds of victims as well is all the public asks. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, IUskim said:

So not to dump on the dude even more because it has happened enough tonight, but it can’t be a good sign for bates when leal comes in before him and then even when garbage minutes are being handed out still don’t get any run. 

I was hoping Leal would come in and start firing up 3-pointers.  

The only real positive is that Woodson can really lay into the guys over the next few days on the effort that is required to win. 

This is a little regroup opportunity before the home stretch here. Both Reneau and Bates especially will be challenged over the next two days and hopefully they respond. 

But, the entire team will/should be challenged by the staff. 

While a disappointing performance, could end up being the best. 

• Like 6

Just now, SawatchHoosier said:

Honestly, I feel like TJD has carried to much of the load this season and maybe some of the other players became complacent.  When he doesn't have a great to good game like he's had for 10+ games straight this team falters badly. I hope this is a wake up call to his teammates that TJD needs them. Maybe XJ will be that guy but this team needs someone else to make things happen regularly when TJD doesn't have it. 

I think this is where XJ is so important. JHS needs to play off the ball more IMO. I think he can be a lot more effective when he doesn’t have to have the ball in his hands all of the time. As reckless as XJ can be, he doesn’t compare to JHS IMO. XJ makes us so much more dynamic and deeper. Just hope by tournament time he’s close to 100%. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I think this is where XJ is so important. JHS needs to play off the ball more IMO. I think he can be a lot more effective when he doesn’t have to have the ball in his hands all of the time. As reckless as XJ can be, he doesn’t compare to JHS IMO. XJ makes us so much more dynamic and deeper. Just hope by tournament time he’s close to 100%. 

JHS is a true combo guard. This season would have been significantly different if JHS was playing the pick roll with XJ. 

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The only real positive is that Woodson can really lay into the guys over the next few days on the effort that is required to win. 

This is a little regroup opportunity before the home stretch here. Both Reneau and Bates especially will be challenged over the next two days and hopefully they respond. 

But, the entire team will/should be challenged by the staff. 

While a disappointing performance, could end up being the best. 

Just my small memory. Woodson might be drawing on it. IU went up to Illinois and Knight benched all of his starters not named Alford. Maybe Woodson was doing the same in final 4 minutes. Benched everyone not named JHS. Could be something....maybe not. Just a recollection. 

• Like 2